Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about making a exhaust modification on my 2021 SXT Challenger.

Does anyone know of it'll make a difference in the sound, if i were to just purchase/apply the Borla S-Type muffler or will need to buy the entire exhaust kit for that awesome sound? I know there's nothing like a V-8, but the sounds I've heard on YouTube were satisfying. Often times they don't explain all the mods they've done though.

The price I've seen so far for the entire kit is $1500-1800. For just the mufflers it was around $150-200 a piece.

·
Premium Member
2021 Redeye
742 Posts
Honestly, I don't think it's worth spending that much for an SXT.
ditto
Of course the sound will be different
You're not gonna see any gains, waste of money IMO.

·
Registered
17 Challengers and counting
2,185 Posts
Of course opinions will vary....I have a rear-wheel drive 2022 GT, same thing as the SXT.
I put the ATAK Borla on it, it sounds much better than the super-silent factory exhaust but it does not sound like my V8 Challengers. For me, it was worth the $1400 I spent on it.
Still, "for fun", it's MUCH cheaper than say, I dunno...a "Redeye" lol.

Reactions: A Guy

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
33,058 Posts
He didn't ask about gains, only sound. Now that the "don't waste your time on a V6" V8 owners have spoken, I'll try and answer your question as hunttriumph1500 did. With just the mufflers, and stock resonators, you will not get the same sound as the full system. The S-Type (and ATAK) have their own, matched resonators that also contribute to the sound. I can't say what kind of change you'll get with just the mufflers. If you did just the mufflers and the exhaust shop can make J-Pipes for the back, that would be closer to the full Borla system

I have the Solo Performance Exhaust, it's considerably less and sound great IMHO

I got the quad round tips as well which look great
Wheel Tire Vehicle Plant Vehicle registration plate

Both Borla systems come with no tips, you retain the stock Bright Tips on the fascia

The next higher priced than Solo is the Flowmaster American Thunder

Then there is RIPP

Both just use stock tips. There are others, but I've not seen members who mention using them

A Guy

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Be careful relying on YouTube videos for what a car sounds like with an aftermarket exhaust. I learned this lesson the hard way years ago when I put an aftermarket exhaust on a V8 vehicle.

1) Drone - The exhaust that I selected was named in this thread and is considered to rest on the more mild side of exhaust note change. The car droned badly at highway RPMs (1,800-2,200) and made road trips torture.

2) The sound in the cabin vs the outside needs to be heard by your ears. The tones are significantly different in real life.

Take your time and listen to as many exhaust systems in real life as you can. One system may sound great to someone else but not to you.

Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack Wide body A8 in Go Mango
197 Posts
V8 owner here, but had 2012 Rallye Redline SXT before that. I also did a lot of research before adding a cat back system to the SXT. I also went the same route as “A Guy” with the “Solo Exhaust” cat back. Was very happy with that system, sounded great, no drone and the J pipes are adjustable if you do notice any, I tried multiple positions and never any drone. Nothing against the Borla systems, also a great system, I have one of theirs on my 25th Anniversary Trans Am, but the Solo sounds great for a better price.

Good luck with your choice.

·
Registered
111 Posts
The only v6 exhaust that seems to sound good in my opinion is solo. Considerably cheaper than Borla and Jeff and team there are awesome. Some of the best customer service of any company I’ve ever dealt with.

No v6 hate from me.

·
Registered
17 Challengers and counting
2,185 Posts
I think I would try the Solo set-up, (post using Borla), it’s a fine system with NO drone but it is pricey. The sound is good from outside the car but in the cabin, it’s meh…

·
Registered
444 Posts
I’m not sure how the S-Type with just the muffler will sound. I can tell you the whole S-Type system on a V8 sounds awesome, so if it was me I would change out the whole exhaust system regardless of which brand/style you choose. Full systems are designed to work together to produce a specific sound not to mention with brands like Borla having the whole system the chances of drone is slim to none.

When I had my 3.5L ‘08 Charger I threw on an exhaust system from a 5.7 Charger. Had just enough growl for me but if you want something with more aggression I’d say roll with S-Type or with A Guy’s suggestions since he has a killer V6 set up.

·
Premium Member
2021 Redeye
742 Posts
He didn't ask about gains, only sound.
I thought he was trying to gain a better sound. :rolleyes:

You can get gain better sound without buying a Borla exhaust

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Of course opinions will vary....I have a rear-wheel drive 2022 GT, same thing as the SXT.
I put the ATAK Borla on it, it sounds much better than the super-silent factory exhaust but it does not sound like my V8 Challengers. For me, it was worth the $1400 I spent on it.
Still, "for fun", it's MUCH cheaper than say, I dunno...a "Redeye" lol.
Oh cool! Yeah, basically going just for the sound as well. So I didn't know if replacing just the mufflers, would produce the sound or I'd have to purchase the full catback system. Where did you purchase yours for that amount?

V8 owner here, but had 2012 Rallye Redline SXT before that. I also did a lot of research before adding a cat back system to the SXT. I also went the same route as “A Guy” with the “Solo Exhaust” cat back. Was very happy with that system, sounded great, no drone and the J pipes are adjustable if you do notice any, I tried multiple positions and never any drone. Nothing against the Borla systems, also a great system, I have one of theirs on my 25th Anniversary Trans Am, but the Solo sounds great for a better price.

Good luck with your choice.
He didn't ask about gains, only sound. Now that the "don't waste your time on a V6" V8 owners have spoken, I'll try and answer your question as hunttriumph1500 did. With just the mufflers, and stock resonators, you will not get the same sound as the full system. The S-Type (and ATAK) have their own, matched resonators that also contribute to the sound. I can't say what kind of change you'll get with just the mufflers. If you did just the mufflers and the exhaust shop can make J-Pipes for the back, that would be closer to the full Borla system

I have the Solo Performance Exhaust, it's considerably less and sound great IMHO

View attachment 1054652
Both Borla systems come with no tips, you retain the stock Bright Tips on the fascia

Then there is RIPP

Both just use stock tips. There are others, but I've not seen members who mention using them

A Guy
Thanks! Appreciate the feedback!

I’m not sure how the S-Type with just the muffler will sound. I can tell you the whole S-Type system on a V8 sounds awesome, so if it was me I would change out the whole exhaust system regardless of which brand/style you choose. Full systems are designed to work together to produce a specific sound not to mention with brands like Borla having the whole system the chances of drone is slim to none.

When I had my 3.5L ‘08 Charger I threw on an exhaust system from a 5.7 Charger. Had just enough growl for me but if you want something with more aggression I’d say roll with S-Type or with A Guy’s suggestions since he has a killer V6 set up.
Thanks! Appreciate it! Very helpful

Be careful relying on YouTube videos for what a car sounds like with an aftermarket exhaust. I learned this lesson the hard way years ago when I put an aftermarket exhaust on a V8 vehicle.

1) Drone - The exhaust that I selected was named in this thread and is considered to rest on the more mild side of exhaust note change. The car droned badly at highway RPMs (1,800-2,200) and made road trips torture.

2) The sound in the cabin vs the outside needs to be heard by your ears. The tones are significantly different in real life.

Take your time and listen to as many exhaust systems in real life as you can. One system may sound great to someone else but not to you.

Good luck with your search.
I value this feedback. Thank you!

Thanks to A Guy for stepping in and silencing the V8 owners who feel they have to constantly step on the V6 owners for asking about sound mods.
Haha....I love my V6, so it doesn't bother me too much.

·
Registered
2019 SXT Blacktop in Triple Nickel
497 Posts
The borla systems sounded the best. I ended up going with the ATAK because on their website they said it was louder and deeper tone. I couldn't be happier best 1200 I've spent (I got an open box discount on amazon). I've gotten plenty of compliments from other car enthusiasts most of them driving better motors about how it sounds. Especially when throwing it into sport mode you'll get some nice sounds when down shifting. No drone in the cabin.

Reactions: harry and A Guy

·
Registered
2021 Scat Pack
69 Posts

View attachment 1054652

Then there is RIPP

A Guy
quick question, what splash guards are those? ZL1?

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
33,058 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts