Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for real life experiences with the borla touring cat back. Sound clips would be great, the only one I can find online is the one from the borla web site.

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
For the money it's not worth it IMO. It does make the exhaust a bit deeper and slightly louder, but not for that kind of money. I wanted a more aggressive sound so I went with Zoomers 2.5 years ago.... never looked back since then. All Borlas drone, Zoomers does not. For what you want I would go for Solo though. Zoomers is too loud for some people.

·
Premium Member
707 Posts
I have experience with the Touring and ATAK mufflers.

Drone is the problem, particularly with the auto transmission. Manual trans guys often shift around it, but I don't think that is a great solution.

I have video clips of the cabin drone on my PC at home, but they require to be edited, so are not uploaded anywhere.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Let give a bit of background which may help. I am in my late 40's so I am not looking for anything too loud, but the stock is too quiet. Something a bit over stock is what I am really looking for.

Online the Borla touring sounds like just the ticket, I would really love to hear something other than the Borla produced clips.

·
Premium Member
707 Posts
If you have an automatic - the Borla stuff drones.

They sound great reving while in park, they sound great driving at WOT.

But just driving around like a normal person, they drone. The ATAK drones louder, but I actually found the Touring to irritate me more, it was a quieter drone that just got inside your head slowly. ATAL was more cringeworthy, Touring more annoying.

I can't give you the videos I have because they are too large to e-mail. I need to edit the clips and shrink the video quality to make them manageable first.

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Let give a bit of background which may help. I am in my late 40's so I am not looking for anything too loud, but the stock is too quiet. Something a bit over stock is what I am really looking for.

Online the Borla touring sounds like just the ticket, I would really love to hear something other than the Borla produced clips.
I would strongly look into Solo! Good mellow sound, strong sounds at WOT, and no drone. I think that would be a happy medium for you

The Borla touring drones and is barely louder than stock. I would not get it again.

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
I just installed the borla touring catback exhaust (part number 140297) on my RT 6 speed.

I was assured by borla that the touring catback system didn't drone, but it does.

http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f18/video-borla-exhaust-options-challenger-r-t-98863/ post 16.

The drone is there in the 1900-2200 rpm range. The drone is not bad but noticeable to me. Some passengers commented that they didn't hear what I was talking about.

It doesn't drone at highway speeds and the drone is not as prevalent in all gears. I don't have any videos/audio clips that captured the drone.

That being said, I am 54 years old and I love the borla sound and like the exhaust overall. Would I buy it again? not sure. I happy with all other aspects of the touring exhaust. The construction, the sound from outside the car, etc.

I also wanted slightly more sound than the stock 6 speed exhaust was giving me. In that category of catbacks, the known no drone systems - corsa sport, flowmaster force II, zoomers or the solo mach X are good choices. The zoomers were too loud for my tastes. Listening to youtube clips to make a catback exhaust purchase has its limitations. LOL

For $1200 and borla assuring me that it didn't drone, I am somewhat disappointed.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
RT Randy thank you for the feedback. Outside the car is it similar to the Borla video?

The majority of my driving is highway at 69 to 74mph with the auto trans, this puts me between 2200 to 2400rpms.

I make business calls all day, is it loud on the interior at that range?

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
iostorm, the borla video gives the outside sound to a tee.

The drone on my car is not there in the 2200-2400 rpm range. When the drone is there, its mild to loud at times.

I hear the automatics are worse on the drone due to the MDS. You would be definitely taking a $1200 chance to see if you were happy with the borla exhaust.

·
Premium Member
707 Posts
RT Randy thank you for the feedback. Outside the car is it similar to the Borla video?

The majority of my driving is highway at 69 to 74mph with the auto trans, this puts me between 2200 to 2400rpms.

I make business calls all day, is it loud on the interior at that range?
Driving an automatic on the freeway is no fun with the Borla exhausts because of the drone. The ATAK vibrates through the entire frame of the vehicle and you can feel it as well as hear the drone. The Touring has a quieter but irritating drone between 1,900 & 2,400 RPMs. I think you can make phone calls with the Touring, but you'll still get irritated with the drone.

Borla sounds fantastic outside the car. The Borla video clips are accurate enough on that regard. The ATAK sounded glorious cruising slowly through the neighbourhood, or at WOT. But at freeway speeds.... different animal.

Borla also make the best looking square tips, so the exhaust looks awesome as well.

They just drone with the automatic at freeway speeds. If they could fix that, I'd remove my Solo system tonight and put the ATAK right back on there.

Edit: the cure to freeway drone was to drive at 80MPH (2500RPMs), cabin was super quiet at that speed. The exhaust was perfect. Make all your business calls at 80MPH and you'll be fine with noise. ;)

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
Edit: the cure to freeway drone was to drive at 80MPH (2500RPMs), cabin was super quiet at that speed. The exhaust was perfect. Make all your business calls at 80MPH and you'll be fine with noise. ;)
I agree.

Reactions: 71 HemiCuda

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I want to thank you for your input on this everyone, I took the plunge and ordered the touring. I do plan to put shorty headers on it soon, from what I have read this will make it louder.

When you say drone, are you referring to the harmonic frequency which just sounds well.....annoying?

Typically this frequency has a narrow band, 1900 to 2400 seems like a wide spread. It it only when MDS is on? If it is I could drive in 5th gear manually I think to avoid it.

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
No wait, you didn't get my opinion.. Split the difference, get the Borla S-Type. Much better sound, throat-y even.

Or, get the Magnaflow Competition - but it's T409 stainless versus the Borla T304 stainless (T304 is much higher quality - if you intend to drive in all season conditions - ie. corrosive environments).

Either way - once you get whatever you get installed, post a sound clipt

·
Premium Member
707 Posts
When you say drone, are you referring to the harmonic frequency which just sounds well.....annoying?

Typically this frequency has a narrow band, 1900 to 2400 seems like a wide spread. It it only when MDS is on? If it is I could drive in 5th gear manually I think to avoid it.
When I refer to drone I am referring to the resonance that is within the exhaust system. It is significant enough with the Borla ATAK to vibrate the cabin. With the Touring it was mostly just a very irritating noise, a lot less actual vibration. Yes it has a harmonic frequency that is related to the engine RPMs, but I'm not sure what your question is about that.

The wide spread quoted is because the drone becomes noticeable at about 1,900, then peaks at about 2,200-2,300, then drops away again until you don't hear it anymore. The top end of the range is about 2,400. At 2,500 RPMs there was zero drone in either Borla exhaust I had.

It was present with or without MDS, the key item was the engine RPMs and some load on the engine, e.g. slight acceleration, or maintaining speed up a slight slope. Some people use the paddle shifters to avoid the RPM range entirely, not because MDS makes a huge difference when you are sitting at 2,300 RPMs.

For me, the effect of MDS was to widen the rev range that would drone. It would start droning at a lower rev range when MDS was engaged. But it really didn't make a lot of difference to the volume of drone. I could be driving along the freeway and would deliberately switch between MDS and 8-cyl mode using the paddle shifters, and apart from the little pop that you hear when the switch is made there was very little difference in drone.

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
Hey Iostorm,

Did you buy the borla touring catback? If you did, I am curious to know what you think of it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes its going on today, I have to take my car at 11:00. I will definitely let you know my thoughts.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
First and foremost let me say a few words about Xtreme Performance in North Ridgeville, Ohio. ABSOLUTELY top notch and first class! This incredible facility is staffed by the best group of guys I've met in a long time. I can not recommend them enough, they now have a customer for life.

Now for the exhaust-

Borla went on today at 12:00, initial start up sounded good, outside the car it sounded good as well. Sound was almost exactly as the video that Borla posted on YouTube, spot on. Inside the car was another story, my initial departure from the parking lot was surprising, definite drone as the tach swept throughout the RPM range.

I figured I would take it onto the highway as this is where most of my weekly driving is. Posted speeds are 70 which means you can safely set the cruise at 75 and be pretty confident you are ticket free. Cruising at 75 puts my automatic trans car right at 2500 RPM's, at this speed the tone in the car was making the change in my console rattle, very obnoxious drone. It was definitely not what I would want to listen to for any period of time, by the time I got to the next exit I could not wait to get off.

I did experiment with cruising in drive with the mds kicking in and manually in 5th with no mds. In 5th manually it was more pleasing but still headache inducing. I came back home down side streets wanting to see how it was in that setting.

Again as it sweeps through the RPM range is it obnoxious from about 2 to 2500 RPM's, to expand on that, it is a tone that just penetrates your head, enough to make your ears ring by the end of my 45 minute drive.

Its a shame, I was really excited about this exhaust but there is no way I could deal with the drone, I had the stock reinstalled at 3:00.

In speaking with guys at Xtreme Performance we are now looking at the Corsa exhaust.

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
I hate to hear that, but I can't say I'm surprised. Good luck to you and you will probably be happy with the corsa sport catback.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Pretty disappointed, I really thought the touring was the ticket. Again outside the car it sounded great.

Is drone being reported with the Blastin Bobs mangaflow resonator replacements?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts