Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought some 20x8.5 and 20x10 Boss 338 chrome wheels. 3 times back to discount tire and they are not balanced. Now they are saying I need some hubcentric spacers. Anyone else have this problem?

·
Registered
216 Posts
From what I understand its pretty common to need hubcentric spacers on after-market rims. Also make sure they remove the assembly washer that holds the rotor in place, a lot of rims don't have room for that like the OEM.

That said, let us know how it shakes out, those are the same rims and widths I'm planning on running so would like to know.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
My boss 338's required the hub centric spacers. Actually I just thought that they came with the wheels?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hubcentric spacers or hubcentric rings? Hubcentric rings are just to fill the gap between the wheel and the hub and are there to mostly reduce vibration and possibly help balance out the wheel. They can be purchased as a set of 4 for less than $10.

If it's the rings then you'll need to know the bore diameter of the wheel.

The bore diameter of the hub on the Challengers is 71.5mm.

Just search on ebay or google "hubcentric ring 71.5mm to 'xx'mm"

If it's an actual wheel spacer then it's a different story.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Gorrilla makes a set of Hub Centric Rings, not perfect size but does make it a bit easier when mounting the wheels. As stated earlier you probably have the clips (2 per wheel) on your wheel studs which OEM accounts for but not BOSS, and DT seems to overlook that so if they are on there, that's your problem. Also Boss are Stud-Cetric which means that once yo snug/tighten the lugs it is center, a lot of folks don't bother with Centric rings, as I only added them to help keep the front 18" Boss chrome from banging against my caliper when installing them, have only about 1/8"-1/4" clearance when installed.

Reactions: Ray69

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks

thanks for all the helpful information. I will mention the clips to them tomorrow. They put the hub rings on and it did make a difference. They are going to get some adapter for their balance machine to bolt all five lugs to and balance it that way tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Sorry for any confusion I meant to say I have the plastic rings...not spacers!

Your car looks great by the way!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Done

Thanks for the complement. They finally got them balanced correctly today. Yes they had already taken the clips off and put the hub "RINGS" in place. The manager personally balanced them and told me they were not being balanced correctly in the past. only took like 7 times balancing them to finally get it. I appreciate them keeping at it until it was done correctly, but that is way too many times to have to go back. I will not be going to Discount tire in the future.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Hard to believe you had that problem from Discount Tire. I've been to them many times, perfect every time.

Also sent quite a few people I know there, all with the same positive experience.

Sorry your experience was poor. At least you're good to go now buddy.

Wheels look sweet.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

1 - 13 of 13 Posts