Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, i bought new 338 wheels with new nitto tires from discount. I put 275's up front and 315'sin the rear. My question is has anyone who bought these wheels have had balancing issues? They mounted and balanced them and i had a pretty good shimmy in the steering wheel so i took it back and they rebalanced them only to still have the shimmy. I went back a third time and they said that those wheels are tricky to balance and they had to put the weights behind the spokes. As you can imagine this looked like crap and the right front had weights the width of the spoke and about 4 rows back. I felt this was unacceptable and made them rebalance them yet again with the weights on the back of the wheel like they did in the first place.....worse shimmy ever. My car has 11000 miles on it and never had a shimmy with the stock wheels. I had them order another set of front tires and am having them put on this weekend. They said if this doesn't work there is nothing more they can do. Has anyone had to put there weights behind the spokes on these wheels? Is there a issue like they said or do i have defective wheels/tires? Please guys let me know so i have something to go on saturday.....thanks

·
Registered
143 Posts
8.5 and 10 wide 338's with 245 and 275 Coopers

I have a fairly pronounced steering wheel shimmy when the tires are cold at lower speeds.
Somewhat annoying but they looked good on the balancer and didn't take alot of weight.
I chalk it up to flat-spotting or some other weird tire shape being taken when they sit (which is often)
Goes away after the tires are warm or 5-10 miles of interstate speeds.
I have asked myself a hundred times if I took the rotor retaining clips off the studs when I put these tires/wheels on.
Haven't had the time to pull 'em off and look...

I know... no real answers, but I have a cold shimmy with the 338's and coopers that I didn't have with the stock clads and F1's

·
Registered
315 Posts
Hey guys, i bought new 338 wheels with new nitto tires from discount. I put 275's up front and 315'sin the rear. My question is has anyone who bought these wheels have had balancing issues? They mounted and balanced them and i had a pretty good shimmy in the steering wheel so i took it back and they rebalanced them only to still have the shimmy. I went back a third time and they said that those wheels are tricky to balance and they had to put the weights behind the spokes. As you can imagine this looked like crap and the right front had weights the width of the spoke and about 4 rows back. I felt this was unacceptable and made them rebalance them yet again with the weights on the back of the wheel like they did in the first place.....worse shimmy ever. My car has 11000 miles on it and never had a shimmy with the stock wheels. I had them order another set of front tires and am having them put on this weekend. They said if this doesn't work there is nothing more they can do. Has anyone had to put there weights behind the spokes on these wheels? Is there a issue like they said or do i have defective wheels/tires? Please guys let me know so i have something to go on saturday.....thanks
I have Boss 338 with Nitto Motivo's and mine ride smooth... They are tricky to balance but the shop has to know how.

·
Premium Member
1,456 Posts
My 338's with the stock Michelins have been completely smooth for the last year and a half. Sears did the mounting/balancing, weights behind the spokes, they didn't mention having any problems.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Are they removing all the weights each time they rebalance? Maybe have them redone on a road force balancer.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Before they put the next set of tires on, have them spin the bare wheels up. A bare wheel should be nearly perfectly balanced if it was made correctly. Now put the tire on and see where you're at. Occasionally if get one that's out of whack you can spin it half a turn on the wheel and it helps.

·
Premium Member
1,115 Posts
What tdkkart said. Had the same problem with American Racing/Nitto tires from Discount. Have them twist the tire a half turn (front tires). Worked for me.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the replies. I had them road force balance them,i had them turn tire half turn,and the said they checked the wheels. They put the new tires on last weekend and balanced them for the 5th time....the shimmy is gone below 70mph which is alot better but still have a mild shimmy after 70. I give up because i have spent 4 Saturdays at the shop for hours not to mention the 30 mile round trip. I'm going to deal with it for now and try to find another place to balance them. They said they can't take them back so i have no other choice....i know Discount is a sponsor on here but i will never go back to them.

·
Premium Member
1,115 Posts
Yes they can take them back. I would file a complaint with their corporate office. You may have a bad wheel. But I do know what your saying about the trips and time spent there, in my case it was a 200 mile round trip each time (three times). They replaced the front tires and twisted half a turn on wheel. I'm always looking for a good road trip but that got a little old. Even made a 1000 mile round trip with my front tires not balanced right, that was a pain in the *ss. Will always buy locally from now on. Good luck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts