Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a 2013 R/T with the 6 speaker Boston Acoustic system. I am looking to keep the stock head unit but would like to upgrade my speakers. I know the 6 speakers are 2 ohm and i seem to be having a hard time finding a decent set. I keep finding 4 ohm which I know will reduce the sound. Also I would like to put the Kicker sub in the tuck of the car to keep the factory look. Any suggestions on what I should do? The car is still under warranty and I know the second you touch a wire they blame it for causing some type of fault.

I read somewhere you can upgrade the factory amp to a different model dodge made and install the center dash speaker and rear sub speaker? IS this true and would I then be able to use 4 ohm speakers? Also are the connectors in place even if my car was not equipped with them?

·
Premium Member
The Pork Wagon (‘14 Cop Charger)
7,495 Posts
You can replace the stock speakers with 4 ohm aftermarkets and be fine, just make sure to get some with relatively high sensitivity ratings. The will sound as good or better than the 2ohm stock ones.

·
Premium Member
7,495 Posts
Are you sure the stock speakers are 2 ohms? I never heard of that. Usually they are 4-8 ohms
the speakers in the upgraded audio packages can be 2 ohm. That’s their way of giving you more volume without “wasting” money on a quality amp or speaker in the stock upgraded packages.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great so I can go with 4 ohm then. Any brands you recommend I have always liked JBL, Kenwood, and Infinity.

What are your thoughts of the kicker amp and sub thst go in the quarter panel of the trunk i would like to feel a little bass not hear it. I'm over the days where I needed to shake the neighborhood.

·
Premium Member
7,495 Posts
Great so I can go with 4 ohm then. Any brands you recommend I have always liked JBL, Kenwood, and Infinity.

What are your thoughts of the kicker amp and sub thst go in the quarter panel of the trunk i would like to feel a little bass not hear it. I'm over the days where I needed to shake the neighborhood.
Ive run speakers from all three brands you listed in my Challengers/Chargers, and they all sounded great. The JBL Club series 6x9s I had before the Kenwood Excelon components I have now were very good speakers when amped. I had some Infinities in my Challengers which had no amp and they sounded great.

Anything that has a sensitivity rating in the 93-94 dB (@2.83w) range and an RMS wattage requirement in the 20-30w range should be fine for your setup. Just be careful not buy a fancy speaker that has an RMS wattage requirement way above what your factory amp can satisfy. Those will not sound as good as a speaker that meets the stock amp’s ability to push.

IIRC those stock amps have about 20w RMS per channel, so look for speakers in that range with the highest sensitivity you can find.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I pulled the trigger tonight and bought the following speakers then got the lecture from the wife lol. I What are peoples thoughts on the Kicker Sub? I purchased that too since I am going to be installing the rear speakers no point in doing a job twice what I told my wife.

Dash Infinity Reference REF-3032cfx
Door Infinity Reference REF-9633ix
Rear Infinity Reference REF-6532ex
Sub Kicker VSS™ SubStage™ SCHAL08

·
Premium Member
7,495 Posts
I pulled the trigger tonight and bought the following speakers then got the lecture from the wife lol. I What are peoples thoughts on the Kicker Sub? I purchased that too since I am going to be installing the rear speakers no point in doing a job twice what I told my wife.

Dash Infinity Reference REF-3032cfx
Door Infinity Reference REF-9633ix
Rear Infinity Reference REF-6532ex
Sub Kicker VSS™ SubStage™ SCHAL08
I've never seen that sub before, but it looks like a good one for the Challengers.

The cab speakers are all good, but I think your factory amp may be a little small to really make them sing. I'm sure they will sound good in your car under most listening scenario. But if you are the type that likes to crank up the stereo to full blast sometimes, you may find the speakers start to really distort during those max volume stints.

In that case, upgrading the factory amplifier to an aftermarket one that can do 75-100w RMS per channel should resolve that by making full use of the speakers' power handling capabilities.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
In my younger days I would get an amp and do everything now that i'm older I want to avoid splicing wires and having cables going everywhere., especially since my car is still under warranty. Is there a direct bolt in amp I could use and replace the BA one that is installed under the dash?

Are there any good videos on how to pull the rear decklid? I found some writeup's but there were no photos.

·
Premium Member
7,495 Posts
The factory amplifier is integrated into the car’s CANBUS system, which is both a good and a bad thing.

It’s bad because it means replacing the factory amp is not as straightforward.

It’s good because it means replacing the factory amp can be done without cutting and splicing a single wire, but extra hardware must be purchased to perform this painless replacement: PAC AmpPRO AP4-CH41 Aftermarket Amplifier Interface Allows seamless addition of an amplifier in select 2014-up Chrysler-made vehicles at Crutchfield

NOTE: you’ll want to research the correct device for your car, as that one may or may not be it. I just did a quick copy & paste after searching their site for PAC equipment.

As far as removing that rear deck cover, it’s not too bad. The main pain in the butt for me is reinstalling all the trim pieces you have to remove. Inevitably one of the plastic clips on them won’t line up right and have to be massaged to get back on straight and right.

There should be numerous write-ups on here and YouTube videos on the procedure to get to the rear speakers, but in a nutshell here’s the steps involved:

1) fold rear seat backs forward and remove nylon push rivets from deck cover facing the seat backs when in upright position.

2) remove the left and right bolsters on either sides of the rear seat backs.

3) remove the B pillar trim covers.

4) grasp the deck cover and lift up while pulling back toward front of car.

Reactions: FAST RS
1 - 11 of 11 Posts