Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently I have a straight pipe kid muffler and resonator delete!

Will the Borla ATAK sound better or am I wasting money ?

It’s super tin can sounding now and whinny

Hoping someone has heard both options in person. I don’t want the Borla to sound the same

·
Premium Member
2,795 Posts
I'm surprised you would spring for what is probably the most expensive exhaust system out there without hearing it first. I'm sure there is no drone, but know that the ATAK is the loudest option out there.

There are Youtube videos to check out.

The guy in the second video is a member here.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=borla+atak+challenger+v6

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Watched a million videos but a video never does sound justice! I just don’t want it to sound the same as my straight pipe

·
Registered
173 Posts
I went with the Flowmaster American Thunder. I could not justify the price of the Borla but I do think the exhaust note is a bit sweeter with the Borla but not double the price sweet. Good luck with your search. The youtube vids on the American Thunder are pretty close to real life.

Reactions: RockanRoll

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
23,477 Posts
Straight pipe sound is an acquired taste. Since you never acquired it, I'm confident you will be very pleased with The sound of the Atak. Other than just loud, a designed exhaust will sound better than basically no exhaust. A Guy

·
Registered
981 Posts
Nah, Borlas sound good. They’re one of the most popular for V6/V8’s across a lot of models.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Drummer Dave

·
Registered
35 Posts
Late reply here, just joined the forum (love it!), though thought I'd contribute to this one as well.

I regret spending a good chunk of my hard earned cash on all sorts of custom exhaust for my challenger 3.6 from flowmasters to magnaflows to combos with glasspacks. None of these setups gave me a satisfactory tone; more of an excessively deep and flat tone, was not pleasant and never put a smile on my face. All in an effort of not spending tons on cash on a catback... well, I ended up spending even more because of all this experimentation... I guess learning comes at a cost.

It's important to clarify here: All these companies make fantastic mufflers that sound amazing in certain applications. I'm specifically a fan of the chambered tone when paired with a V8. However, for my taste on a 3.6, it simply was not the proper fit.

Eventually I decided to look at full catbacks and after good 6 months of saving up, research and comparisons, I bit the bullet and went with the Borla S-type (didn't do ATAK due to 2.5" pipes and due to the extra loudness).

Man, the minute they fired up the challenger while I was standing behind it, my mechanic started laughing and said "brother, I haven't seen a grin like that on you since you got the 35s installed on your wrangler". lol

The best way to describe the tone is 'mean & throaty, barely tamed'. It's not a deep tone; it sounds way more natural and pleasant; it sounded like it belonged there. Couple of weeks now and the idle is getting better and better each day, specially with cold start-ups.

I pretty much LOVE driving it in manual mode now (got the 8-speed) it turns heads everywhere.

One thing I learned from all of this is that the best way to decide on an exhaust setup is to hear the specific setup in person. Youtube videos are great to get an overall idea and learn a lot about them, but not sufficient to decision making, specially on the expensive ones.

I know, it's a hard to come by situation trying to find someone with the exact setup for an in person experience, yet if I had the chance to hear this S-type in person much earlier, I would've gone for it and saved a lot of cash and trouble.

Yes, it is an expensive setup, but in comparison with what's out there, to me, this was the best fit and I saved up for a very long time to make it happen and I am very happy that I did.

I never heard an ATAK in person, but being in love with my S-type, I'm betting ATAK sounds really sweet.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Currently I have a straight pipe kid muffler and resonator delete!

Will the Borla ATAK sound better or am I wasting money ?

It’s super tin can sounding now and whinny

Hoping someone has heard both options in person. I don’t want the Borla to sound the same
Absolutely ZERO drone. Really recommend the atak. I purchased it about a month ago and installed on my 2016 sxt
Sounds really nice while idle and definitely makes some noise when you step on it.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
23,477 Posts
How did you get that HP gauge in the EVIC?

A Guy

Reactions: jFritz

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
23,477 Posts
Interesting, I was not aware STP got you those gauges

A Guy

·
Registered
981 Posts
The car is equipped with the super trak pack and you can display anything from tire pressure to engine power and torque. This package was the selling point on the car for me
Interesting. I know I can display all of that and more on my 8.4” screen but on my EVIC I can only have timers, G-Force and brake distance. That’s pretty cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: jFritz
1 - 14 of 14 Posts