Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my way to my dealer Tuesday in a down pour to try and get my shift light fixed. Hate driving there because it is almost an hour away and I have to drive on the interstate. Something I do not normally do in my Scat. Or the rain for that matter.
Anyway, came up on a garbage truck going maybe 45 MPH. Was going to hang back until my turn but check in the rear view mirror and here comes a dump truck loaded with gravel and he's flying 70 MPH. Caught between hammer and anvil I decide to just blow by the garbage truck and stay ahead of the dreaded gravel truck. Did I mention I hate the interstate?
As I got next to the garbage truck I heard what sounded like a gun go off. I cringed.
Washed it yesterday and found this at the top of my hood. At only 1600 miles! :cry:
I am traveling next week but have an appt at the local body shop to see what my options are when I return. Crap! :mad:
Water Netbook Blue Window Sky

·
Registered
2016 Challenger R/T Plus Shaker
671 Posts
I feel your pain, truly I do. I always drove my Challenger to the Chrysler Training Center when I was still going to classes. On the way home, on the interstate, a piece of rock about fist sized came up from the back of a dump truck. I was running about 65 mph, and it was big enough that I saw it coming. I wasn't sure if it would hit the hood, the Shaker, or the windshield. It hit the windshield, and surprisingly didn't come through (I was sure that if it hit the windshield it would come through because of the size). It ended up leaving a place on the glass about the size of a 50 cent piece. It was dead center from the sides and about three inches up from the bottom. I had only had the car for about four or five months. Sickening to have it happen, but I had the windshield fixed. Just couldn't bring myself to let the insurance company put an aftermarket windshield in my car. On the good side, it didn't damage the paint or metal or hit me.

·
Banned
2017 TA Green Go.
272 Posts
I get that we need trucks to get our stuff. My problem is they dont pay for the damage they do, and they do the lions share of it. I slow down after they pass me on the hiway. Just to try to get away from em. Avoid em like they have VD.
My grabber orange Mustang was damaged twice while I owned it, guess what caused the damage both times. :mad:

·
Premium Member
4,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I feel your pain, truly I do. I always drove my Challenger to the Chrysler Training Center when I was still going to classes. On the way home, on the interstate, a piece of rock about fist sized came up from the back of a dump truck. I was running about 65 mph, and it was big enough that I saw it coming. I wasn't sure if it would hit the hood, the Shaker, or the windshield. It hit the windshield, and surprisingly didn't come through (I was sure that if it hit the windshield it would come through because of the size). It ended up leaving a place on the glass about the size of a 50 cent piece. It was dead center from the sides and about three inches up from the bottom. I had only had the car for about four or five months. Sickening to have it happen, but I had the windshield fixed. Just couldn't bring myself to let the insurance company put an aftermarket windshield in my car. On the good side, it didn't damage the paint or metal or hit me.
Yeah, I thought from the sound it did hit the windshield. Wish it had of. I have no deductible on comprehensive. Would just have an OEM replacement put in.
It will be fixed if they have to paint the whole frickin hood. Which means I will have to have the ceramic redone.
I won't be making another special trip to the dealer for my shift light which still doesn't work. I'm done. If I have to be there anyway they can address it then.

I get that we need trucks to get our stuff. My problem is they dont pay for the damage they do, and they do the lions share of it. I slow down after they pass me on the hiway. Just to try to get away from em. Avoid em like they have VD.
My grabber orange Mustang was damaged twice while I owned it, guess what caused the damage both times. :mad:
Yes. And they are not properly policed.
I see gravel tucks with gravel trickling out from under the rear door all the time.
Almost guarantee that is where the rock that did this came from.

Reactions: Charles 236

·
Registered
2016 Challenger R/T Scat Pack Pitch Black A8
882 Posts
Ouch! In 1980 I bought a brand new camaro it had 11 miles on it. That day I stopped to get a coke and carefully parked as far away from anyone as I could. When I came out of the store I saw a car drive past me. Then I saw 2 door dings in the drivers door from the car that went past me. There wasn't anything I could do about. Didn't even have 50 miles on it. So I feel your pain.

·
Registered
2014 R/T Classic 6-speed
277 Posts
Yes. And they are not properly policed.
I see gravel tucks with gravel trickling out from under the rear door all the time.
Almost guarantee that is where the rock that did this came from.
From my observation, it usually isn't what's in the trailer that gets you, it's what's on the trailer. The trailers are filthy and have gravel, mud, debris sitting on every horizontal surface, and clinging to everything underneath. A small bump is enough to knock shit loose and send it hurtling your way. I've seen huge stalactites break loose and hit the pavement like a hand grenade.

Semi's are bad news no matter what, and I always try to get on around them as quickly as possible. Unless there's a bridge of overpass coming up. Then I just back waaaaaay off. The bounce at each end of the span is enough to send debris flying everywhere.

But at the end of the day, we gotta drive 'em and take our chances. Good luck with the repair; the right person should be able to make it practically disappear.

Cheers,

JD

·
Premium Member
2017 Challenger T/A
83 Posts
The last brand new car I purchased... got a good size chip on the hood on the first drive off the lot on the way home. Happens... Sucks but happens. Get some Dr.Colorchip or take it somewhere to have it filled.

·
Premium Member
4,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i had the ppf put on my hood, i wonder if that would have saved you? you might want to consider it once it is fixed
Great question. Even my wife asked me if it had been coated like allot of other areas on the car.
Bottom line is I wanted to get the hood done but it put me so far over budget I couldn't.
I am sure it would have helped but no way it would have prevented at least some damage.
This was a violent hit. Damnit!

·
Registered
2021 Challenger R/T Hellraisin M6
340 Posts
Daaamn. After all that money spent on ceramic coating and pain protection - a big stinking oof lands on your car.

Now that's what I call shitty luck..

·
Premium Member
1,370 Posts
21 scat wb cquartz finest reserve ceramic coating done...within the week rock chip right in front of the hood... ceramic keeps the black paint looking awesome and I didn't want to spend thousands more for PPF.

·
Premium Member
2021 SPWB Shaker A8
582 Posts
Man, that really sucks. I just got rained on for the first time and I thought I was having a bad day. Doesn't look like it made it through the primer, at least.

·
Registered
2016 Challenger R/T Plus Shaker
671 Posts
Since you were making the trip to get the shift light sorted out, it made me think of something I recently encountered on a Scat Pack. I recently did a Certified Used Car inspection on a Challenger Scat Pack and found that the shift paddles didn't work (8 speed). So I checked the vehicle configuration and found that the BCM did not show it as being configured for paddle shifters. So I performed a vehicle reconfigure and that was all it took to get the paddle shifters to work. I don't know if it will work for your Challenger, but it might be worth a try.

·
Registered
2014 SRT Core
10,984 Posts
While that does suck it seems to happen to everyone sooner or later if you actually use your car. My first (modern ) Challenger I only had for a few months when an older lady opened her truck door into me. I saw she was close when I was walking across the parking lot but I didn't spot the paint scrape until later when I got home. It only took a week with my SRT, an older gentleman backed into me, only barely touched my car but enough to scrape the paint. I managed to stop the guy though as he tried to pull away and his insurance company paid for the repair. In this case I actually parked a full row and several spots from any one and I still managed to get dinged. Hope the body shop can take care of it for you. The body shop in both of my cases were able to make it so you had to really know where to look to see it.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts