Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to keep the front of our 08 Challenger in good shape. The problem is the bugs here in Louisiana, and rock chips. Who makes a bra for the Challenger that will protect the front without scrapping the paint?

·
Registered
764 Posts
I would like to keep the front of our 08 Challenger in good shape. The problem is the bugs here in Louisiana, and rock chips. Who makes a bra for the Challenger that will protect the front without scrapping the paint?
Some company (might be a vendor here) makes a clear cover that can be fitted over the front (of any car I think). Seems like a better solution.

I would take dead bugs and paint chips on the front of my car before I ruin its looks with something called a "bra".

·
Premium Member
4,691 Posts
"Colgan" is the way I go. I don't have their link readily available, but do a search on their name. You will get the option for the front plate cut-out, or smooth.

This bra really is a life saver on long road trips. :thumbsup:

Pics;

·
Registered
122 Posts
Auto Anything has a Colgan car bra for the Challenger. $135.00 or so. Good luck! John

·
Registered
139 Posts
3M has a clear film that is applied on the front of your car,on mirriors, headlights, foglights etc. Its pricey but even before i drive any new vehicles i have it installed. Up here in Canada its costing me $500 to 600 to do a car.Im sure there is someone in your area that does it. patchs

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
I bought a Colgan bra recently to only use on long interstate trips....probably will not use it until the drive to CF2. I have not used it yet, but looking at your pictures it seems to fit very nice. I thought about the clear film, but as this is not my daily driver, no real need, plus I am afraid it would haze over time.

·
Registered
353 Posts
"Colgan" is the way I go. I don't have their link readily available, but do a search on their name. You will get the option for the front plate cut-out, or smooth.

This bra really is a life saver on long road trips. :thumbsup:

Pics;

Thanks for posting. I'm planning on purchasing one of these for if/when I decide to take a road trip. I've never really cared for car bras but it's worth it to keep bugs and rock chips off the fascia.

·
Registered
764 Posts
For a road trip I guess it'd be ok. I just see daily drivers and mid 90s mustangs zipping around with them like it's a fashion accessory.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I decided to go a different route with my Challenger and had a clear bra installed instead of using a vinyl bra. I'm using a product made by Venture Shield. Looks good-can't tell it's on the car. Just had a long drive to Irvine and back for Spring Fest VI and all I had to do was wash the car. No noticable chips or problems.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have a clear bra on my car and I like it a lot. You'll notice a line 6" from the edge of the hood, same thing on the roof, if the angle and light are just so, but otherwise I doubt you or anyone else will even now it's on the car.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I decided to go a different route with my Challenger and had a clear bra installed instead of using a vinyl bra. I'm using a product made by Venture Shield. Looks good-can't tell it's on the car. Just had a long drive to Irvine and back for Spring Fest VI and all I had to do was wash the car. No noticable chips or problems.
Do you have a web-site for them, or where can the clear bra be purchased? We take long trips with our challenger. We take a couple trips to Florida from Louisiana, and a couple of trips to Grandbury, Tx. Also a trip to Maryland. We do take long road trips.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I remember having one of those in the mid 90's, on an early 90's Plymouth Laser.

They do a great job at protecting the paint job.
But as a fashion statement, they are a bit cheasy.

Keep thinking of a guy in a older Camaro with a BRA and a neon sticker saying "Radical".

But on road trips, I would go with one too...and forget about peoples comments on it.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Car Bra

Liked it so much on my old car that I had it on for so long that the paint didn't match underneath anymore.

Wound up selling it that way.

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 SRT, 6 Speed, Sublime Green
1,578 Posts
I have a road trip in the near future. Can anyone let us know where you bought these Colgan bras?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
....I have the Colgan like Greg and bluejs. I also use it for longer trips on the interstate and/or when I use my car once per week to commute to work. I typically don't drive with it around town or any other time where I might be taking surface streets or back roads to my destination. In addition, I have XPel lens protection film on my headlamps and fog lamps.

Just a note about using removable masks/bras.... They will abrade the finish in certain areas. Every product, contact point, vehicle design, etc. is different and can pose different challenges. The key is to recognize those areas during the first fitment while keeping a watchful eye out for any developing problems in other spots. On the Colgan, I identified potential problems with the J-hooks that connect to the fender, the two outer straps that secure under the hood and a couple of points on the front bumper. For these areas I simply apply little pieces of low-tack painters tape to eliminate abrasion at those contact points (with the exception of the straps that secure under the hood. …..I use small. Precut swaths of a soft MF towel).

Keeping the mask/bra clean is a must if you want to avoid marring. Keeping the contact areas of the finish waxed/sealed also helps. I use bras/masks on my Challenger as well as my wife’s Forester (our DD) with no issue (beyond what I mentioned). The paint on the Forester still looks great after 3 years and almost 80k miles (the bra has been on the car nearly all of that time with the exception of cleaning).

….IIRC, I bought mine directly from Colgan Custom (http://www.colgancustom.com/shop_vmake.php).

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Colgan usually makes their bras on a per order basis, if you do a search on the internet for colgan bras, you'll find their website, just call them and order one, they range from between 100 and 200 bucks normally and are fantastic in quality. I used one all the time on my black cobra here in florida where love bugs love to screw up your paint by the hundreds. I normally remove it once every 3 months and polish and wax under it and the surface stayed in great condition and did not discolor even after 6 years of regular use.

By the way, i had a LeBra unit on my 91 dodge stealth r/t turbo and used it daily, never removing it except for six month wax jobs, and it never discolored or caused the clear to bubble...but then again the car was usually garaged when at the house.

Only defect with the colgan bras was the J hooks that hold it tight under the hood and in the inner fenders. Eventually the straps rotted and one broke, and after that it didn't keep it as tight as it should have, so i had to remove the hood piece to keep it from flapping. (which would cause abrasions if left on its own to flap in the wind) The j hooks are plastic, and are easy enough to protect against scratches or abrasions where you hook them up.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
....here are a couple of shots of most of the attachment points btw:

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
those fuzzy ones at the bottom of the wheelwells can be twisted a bit tighter to close the gap a little. right now it looks like they are just on the outer edge, you may be able to roll them in a little more so they connect on the inner part of the edge. Worked like that on my mustang anyway. Made it so no gap existed. I always worried about the c-clip style ones at the top of the wheelwell, but never had one scratch the car.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
those fuzzy ones at the bottom of the wheelwells can be twisted a bit tighter to close the gap a little. right now it looks like they are just on the outer edge, you may be able to roll them in a little more so they connect on the inner part of the edge. Worked like that on my mustang anyway. Made it so no gap existed. I always worried about the c-clip style ones at the top of the wheelwell, but never had one scratch the car.
Thanks. I actually left the bendable clamps in the pre-bent position to prevent additional strain on that plastic component of the car. There is another strap (not shown) that goes below these and hooks under the car. That is where most of the tension is for the lower-side part of the bra. The two bendable clips are intended simply to keep it in place at those areas with very little tension on the contact points.

The J-clamps on the fender are a prime spot for abrasions at those contact points. Even with the Colgan (which have a felt liner for this application) I still noticed minor marring before I began using painters tape in these areas. I have the same issue on my wife’s car with the factory bra (which was resolved the same way).

1 - 20 of 69 Posts