Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2019 SP WB Challenger
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2019 SP WB Challenger and i removed the calipers in order to have them powdercoated. Not the first time i do this on a vehicle i own and the removal was smooth and straightforward as any other time I've done it. I get the calipers back and proceed to install them back on the car, again, smooth and straightforward until it was time to bleed the system of air. I started in the right rear and went in the order I was supposed too, RR, LR, RF, LF....and after an hour of pumping, and checkin for air bubbles and gettin each caliper to have a steady stream of fluid, i thought it was air free...and still the pedal was all sponge and the rotors spun freely with absolutely no grab when the brake pedal was pressed. Im stumped...the car right now is a paperweight.... HELP!

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
You have to get the air out of the abs module.
I had to buy one of these and use the abs bleed feature on top of traditional bleeding.

I didn’t realize it was such a pain in the a$$

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 SP WB Challenger
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bruhhhh, are you serious? 🤦🏽‍♂️🤦🏽‍♂️🤦🏽‍♂️🤦🏽‍♂️🤦🏽‍♂️

Ok, so do i run that first and then do the traditional bleed? Or vice versa?

Thanks for the info

·
Super Moderator
14,032 Posts
This site explains the brake bleeding process.

·
Super Moderator
15,763 Posts
another item is Brembo calipers also have TWO bleeders - inboard side of caliper and outboard side.

Bleed the inboard side, then the outboard side.

I bled the brakes using a vacuum bleeder (which wasn't the best) and it took several attempts and finally got them bled.
SRT 392 with 6 piston fronts and 4 piston rear

Reactions: A Guy

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Bruhhhh, are you serious?

Ok, so do i run that first and then do the traditional bleed? Or vice versa?

Thanks for the info
Yes sir. I did it about 2 or 3 times then manual bleed. Not the most pleasant thing as I did what you did and powder coated mine also

·
Premium Member
The Pork Wagon (‘14 Cop Charger)
6,856 Posts
I have 2019 SP WB Challenger and i removed the calipers in order to have them powdercoated. Not the first time i do this on a vehicle i own and the removal was smooth and straightforward as any other time I've done it. I get the calipers back and proceed to install them back on the car, again, smooth and straightforward until it was time to bleed the system of air. I started in the right rear and went in the order I was supposed too, RR, LR, RF, LF....and after an hour of pumping, and checkin for air bubbles and gettin each caliper to have a steady stream of fluid, i thought it was air free...and still the pedal was all sponge and the rotors spun freely with absolutely no grab when the brake pedal was pressed. Im stumped...the car right now is a paperweight.... HELP!
Hindsight 30/30 etc, but I do wonder why not plug the brake lines at caliper removal to prevent so much brake fluid from leaking out that air makes it all the way up to the ABS module in the first place?

·
Super Moderator
15,763 Posts
those banjo style fitting don't lend themselves for an easy way to plug them up and the entire time gravity is making the fluid flow out

·
Premium Member
The Pork Wagon (‘14 Cop Charger)
6,856 Posts
those banjo style fitting don't lend themselves for an easy way to plug them up and the entire time gravity is making the fluid flow out
When I replaced the front two calipers on my 2012 I was able to put something back on the banjo fittings to keep the brake fluid from leaking out. I’m trying to remember what I used but drawing a blank at the moment. Seems like I tried the bolt and that almost worked but I had to go with something else...

IDK, if I remember what it was I’ll post it up for future reference for anyone doing this later on.

·
Registered
2019 SP WB Challenger
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
another item is Brembo calipers also have TWO bleeders - inboard side of caliper and outboard side.

Bleed the inboard side, then the outboard side.

I bled the brakes using a vacuum bleeder (which wasn't the best) and it took several attempts and finally got them bled.
SRT 392 with 6 piston fronts and 4 piston rear
Thank you!
Yes sir. I did it about 2 or 3 times then manual bleed. Not the most pleasant thing as I did what you did and powder coated mine also

Thank you, I'll report back when i complete the job lol.
Hindsight 30/30 etc, but I do wonder why not plug the brake lines at caliper removal to prevent so much brake fluid from leaking out that air makes it all the way up to the ABS module in the first place?
I never imagined this would be an issue as it has never been before on other vehicles I've done this too.

Thank you fellas for the tips and help. I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
Furious Fuchsia 2010 Challenger R/T Classic A5
406 Posts
Huh, that's interesting. After repairing a brake line and fitting I still had soft (but not NO) brakes on my R/T. I used my OBDLink gizmo and the AlfaOBD app to conduct the ABS bleed and it firmed them back up.

The ABS procedure only required me to open the RF and RR bleeders, and a manual bleed is recommended to be done on all 4 before and after the ABS bleed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts