Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Power Stop advertises their pads will reduce brake dust. Brake dust has not been an an issue on my previous two R/T's, but with my new SRT I get lots. Anyone have any experience with the Power Stop pads?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Yup, I put them on my SRT 3 weeks ago with only 900 miles on it. I bought just the fronts to try and I like them so much that Amazon is currently shipping the rears to me. They SIGNIFICANTLY reduce the brake dust. The stopping power feels the same, but I don't track mine either.

·
Registered
2015 SRT392 A8 in white pearl coat
1,352 Posts
You said "new SRT." Assuming you have an SRT392.

We did quite a bit of research on this subject last summer. I contacted Powerstop and spoke to one of their engineers personally. I appreciated that the man had three mechanical engineering degrees and really knew his stuff. He was very helpful. I explained that we were having fits with two things: first the short life of both pads and rotors on the new SRT's with their monster 15.4 inch 6 piston Brembo front brakes, and the cost of replacing the rotors. I told him that my factory pads were creating so much dust that it was making me nuts and the rotor wear was unacceptable. He explained that the SRT uses a semi-metallic pad that is extremely aggressive, creating a lot of dust and disk wear in the process. He said this is why the rotors, which by the way cost $900 plus from Dodge, wear out so fast. He said that Powerstop now makes both the two-piece rotors for the SRT (for about half the cost of the factory rotors) and more than one pad for these cars. He explained that their Z23 and Z26 (same compound by the way) ceramic pads would both reduce wear and just about eliminate dust.

He agreed that their would be slightly less performance and that if I intended to race the car on a track and needed every ounce of braking performance, to stick with the factory set up. I said heck no, I had no intention of doing so. I just wanted my rotors to survive normal stop and go traffic and less dust in the future.

This has been confirmed several times since last summer on that same thread. Guys are reporting that the dust problem has been transformed, and that the braking performance changes a little. I changed out my brakes and cannot speak for the all out performance of the brakes as I never have or will use them to their fullest extent... I drive like gramma. Sorry, that's just me. But I have noticed that the brakes aren't as touchy with my new Powerstop Z23's as they were.

Many guys only concern themselves with outright performance. That's fine. They should stick with factory pads, and good for them. They want to hear that Powerstop ceramic brakes have just as much (or more) stopping power as factory. But nobody that I know of has really tested them at the limits of performance. And since I don't drive that way, I don't care about every last ounce of braking performance. I care about NOT wearing out those 900 dollar (each) rotors, and that ridiculous brake dust. What I do know is that the performance feels like it is VERY close to factory. But there is a slight difference: they don't have that same "touchiness" that the factory brakes have. Personally, I didn't like that touchiness. I love the new Powerstops. When I crank on the brakes, they stop the car just fine. All I've noticed is that I push the pedal with an extra couple pounds of force. For me: no big deal. I'm glad to be done with the dust.

And even if it's true that the performance is say 95 percent, or even just 90 percent, I just don't care. I'll likely never use 40 percent of what those brakes are capable of anyway. Again, just my opinion here.

·
Registered
175 Posts
You said "new SRT." Assuming you have an SRT392.

We did quite a bit of research on this subject last summer. I contacted Powerstop and spoke to one of their engineers personally. I appreciated that the man had three mechanical engineering degrees and really knew his stuff. He was very helpful. I explained that we were having fits with two things: first the short life of both pads and rotors on the new SRT's with their monster 15.4 inch 6 piston Brembo front brakes, and the cost of replacing the rotors. I told him that my factory pads were creating so much dust that it was making me nuts and the rotor wear was unacceptable. He explained that the SRT uses a semi-metallic pad that is extremely aggressive, creating a lot of dust and disk wear in the process. He said this is why the rotors, which by the way cost $900 plus from Dodge, wear out so fast. He said that Powerstop now makes both the two-piece rotors for the SRT (for about half the cost of the factory rotors) and more than one pad for these cars. He explained that their Z23 and Z26 (same compound by the way) ceramic pads would both reduce wear and just about eliminate dust.

He agreed that their would be slightly less performance and that if I intended to race the car on a track and needed every ounce of braking performance, to stick with the factory set up. I said heck no, I had no intention of doing so. I just wanted my rotors to survive normal stop and go traffic and less dust in the future.

This has been confirmed several times since last summer on that same thread. Guys are reporting that the dust problem has been transformed, and that the braking performance changes a little. I changed out my brakes and cannot speak for the all out performance of the brakes as I never have or will use them to their fullest extent... I drive like gramma. Sorry, that's just me. But I have noticed that the brakes aren't as touchy with my new Powerstop Z23's as they were.

Many guys only concern themselves with outright performance. That's fine. They should stick with factory pads, and good for them. They want to hear that Powerstop ceramic brakes have just as much (or more) stopping power as factory. But nobody that I know of has really tested them at the limits of performance. And since I don't drive that way, I don't care about every last ounce of braking performance. I care about NOT wearing out those 900 dollar (each) rotors, and that ridiculous brake dust. What I do know is that the performance feels like it is VERY close to factory. But there is a slight difference: they don't have that same "touchiness" that the factory brakes have. Personally, I didn't like that touchiness. I love the new Pkkowerstops. When I crank on the brakes, they stop the car just fine. All I've noticed is that I push the pedal with an extra couple pounds of force. For me: no big deal. I'm glad to be done with the dust.

And even if it's true that the performance is say 95 percent, or even just 90 percent, I just don't care. I'll likely never use 40 percent of what those brakes are capable of anyway. Again, just my opinion here.

Well said....I totally agree. :IThankYou:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts