Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wash and waxed car, took her out for a spin and back to the "barn".

Problem is every time I come back, the back end is covered in what I assume is brake dust. Deck lid, and rear bumper. Just enough to be annoying. I guess a white car would show more than darker colors.

Does this happen to you?

·
Premium Member
3,553 Posts
I know it's not old enough to need new brakes but ceramic pads won't leave that dust. By the way white might show the brake dust but dark colored cars show everything else. Dew on the car when it dries makes it look dirty.

·
Registered
478 Posts
It looks like your car is an R/T? You shouldnt have a brake dust problem like the SRT's. I'll bet youre flinging tire dressing.

·
Premium Member
8,295 Posts

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
....it's just dust/debris from the road. While technically some brake dust may be in the mix, it would be a relatively small amount and certainly not the main cause of your issue. Aerodynamics play a big part in it. Most cars I have had accumulated dust in those areas. .....my Challenger a bit more so (even just driving a few blocks to the store).

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
I put the Satisfied ceramic pads on my Charger and it was a HUGE improvement in brake dust. My wheels stay much cleaner now.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Yeah go for the ceramics if it's a real bother, I plan to later, they aren't even that expensive which is what warrants 'em.

·
Banned
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't think it's tire or road dust. I'll dust it off and live with it until it's time for brakes. That may be a while at 400 miles a month. Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Worthy of note: "trail dust" or whatever you want to call it is a good reason why one shouldn't take a car for a spin to dry her off -- you will get dust on the clean surfaces and it will likely cause microscratches when you use a towel to finish the drying process.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Yes, I get the brake dust in the same places- since we have the same car. GOOD CHOICE.

·
Banned
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is after just a few miles, maybe 6. When I left it was wiped clean.
I pushed it together with my finger so you could see it. Sorry for the iphone pic.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Yep, same thing on mine. Especially on the top of the rear bumper.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Thanks! Doesn't take but a few miles and it's back.
Still easier than black which was my second choice.
Yeah, you clean it all up and black silt all over on a short trip.

O.K. I will drive to Florida and you drive to Texas and lets see who gets there first. See who has the worst dust. :bigthumb:

·
Banned
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Off this topic but when did they switch from Stone White to Bright White?

My wife drives a Stone White 2010 GC and there is a big difference in the two whites.

PS you're on for the race!

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I don't think it's tire or road dust. I'll dust it off and live with it until it's time for brakes. That may be a while at 400 miles a month. Thanks for the replies.
If you are like me (only drive the car when it's nice) you will be doing yourself a big favor by switching to Ceramic pads now. No longer will your car and rims be coated with the black powder and you will be able to go so much longer in between washes.

I changed them myself (I even wrote a DIY for dummies post on how-to) and the amount I spent in the pads was so much worth it in having a clean car and being able to go alot longer in between washes. I am not the type to waste money (replacing perfectly good pads) but you will be thankful you did in the long run if you do it now!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts