Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do the brembo's come with ceramic brake pads? I can only guess that the R/T's did. I put 3000 miles on my 2010 R/T and didn't have any brake dust issues.

I'm getting it pretty bad and I only have 300 miles on the car, washed it twice

I'm assuming they aren't ceramic because of all the black brake dust, I may need to find a place that sells them for our cars

·
Registered
978 Posts
It's the SRT curse.

Every SRT vehicle I've owned has had HORRENDOUS brake dust issues, ESPECIALLY SRT-8's!

The rims are impossible to keep clean and require a wipe-down about once a week (I usually do it when I fill up, or before a car meet or cruise)

·
Banned
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry to hear, but glad it somebody else. I thought maybe it was my driving habits, but at only 300 miles there's no way. Like I said earlier, i put 3000 on the R/T and never noticed a dust build up.

Has anybody replaced them with a low dust pad? Any recommendations?

·
Registered
812 Posts
I put a polish and plaint sealant on my wheels. It definitely helps in cleaning them.

·
Registered
149 Posts
The brake dust on SRT-8's is severe. Some have found ceramic pads that fit the brembos and reported minimal impact to braking performance. I don't remember where they got them from.

·
Banned
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The brake dust on SRT-8's is severe. Some have found ceramic pads that fit the brembos and reported minimal impact to braking performance. I don't remember where they got them from.
that's what I'm looking for. If you happen to remember what kind you purchased, can you drop me a pm?

·
Registered
185 Posts
My SRT dusts like crazy. The dust is black so I thought they must be ceramic. Hearing the pads are not ceramic explains things and makes me feel better. Every car or truck I've had that had ceramic pads warped the rotors. I don't even want to think what it would cost to replace those 13" Brembos. Thank you I'll deal with the dust. The Alcoa wheels must have some kind of coating because the dust comes right off with car wash and a decent wheel brush. It helps I wash the car every time a bird even thinks of bombing it.

·
Premium Member
3,004 Posts
Get some Meguiars Quick Wheel Detailer and a lot of rags.
Pity me I have two SRTs to keep the wheels clean on. :boohoo:
It is the price you pay for high performance brakes.
See if you can find a no dust vendor that will tell you straight out in writing that they have documented proof you will not reduce your braking performance with their pads. I could not find one.

If I wanted a no hassle appliance vehicle, I would have bought a Honda.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Brake dust is the one price we pay, brake squeel is the other.

Every so often i'll be backing out of my garage at uber-slow speed (as to make sure I don't clip my side mirror on the side of the garage door) and you get the "screeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee" sound from the brakes.

I get all embarrassed and look around to make sure nobody heard it because surely a car like this shouldn't make sounds that are usually associated with a shiite-box!

Apparently it's just another side effect to having awesome-tastic brakes. :disgust:

·
Registered
326 Posts
There was an extensive thread about the Brembo brake dust. R/T's dont have the Brembo brakes. There were several places mentioned to get ceramic pads.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
The easy solution is to get a set of Hawk HPS pads.
The dust is almost 95% reduced and there is almost no loss in braking performance compared to the Brembo's.
There is also the issue of squeeking with the original Brembo pads-This is also 95% eliminated with these pads.
I dont work for Hawk, but you can be certain I will replace my pads with these same ones as soon as these die.

So far I have 8500 miles on the car and almost show no wear, although I dont race the car.
Just MHO hope it helps...

·
Registered
389 Posts
When I bought my SRT8, the salesman made a point to advise me of the brake dust issue. After a week of driving, it was very obvious what he meant. But, I've found it does come off pretty easy. I use Meguiar's "Hot Wheels" - you can get it for different wheel finishes. Stuff works great - spray it on, wipe, rinse, done. There are some posts about the use of ceramic pads on the Brembos. Many like them, but some complain of squeal and other issues - but (again) lots of the posters swear by them. Since I wash my car weekly and detail the wheels anyway, cleaning off the dust is just part of the process for me. Using the Meguiar's product makes it easy. The only time my brakes squeal is if there is any surface rust on the rotors following a wash or heavy rain when the car sits for a couple of days - then only as I'm backing out; the rust is off by then and no squealing any other time.

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
I replaced my front with EBC 3000c Red Stuff pads for street performance, thinking they may be the dust answer...nope..they helped with cost tho and still stops on a sliver.

·
Banned
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The easy solution is to get a set of Hawk HPS pads.
The dust is almost 95% reduced and there is almost no loss in braking performance compared to the Brembo's.
There is also the issue of squeeking with the original Brembo pads-This is also 95% eliminated with these pads.
I dont work for Hawk, but you can be certain I will replace my pads with these same ones as soon as these die.

So far I have 8500 miles on the car and almost show no wear, although I dont race the car.
Just MHO hope it helps...
I went with these pads, I will post after a while to see how the dust is.

Thanks

·
Registered
432 Posts
yep, my rims would change to several darker shades of grey after a few days of driving. Changed to ceramic pads, rims now stay clean !

·
Registered
416 Posts
I'll start a thread on this but if you want the performance AND no dust...

Satisfied GS-6 Carbon Ceramic Performance Brake Pads

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Guys, do yourself a big favor and spend the $250 or so and an afternoon with your baby and change your pads! The years of enjoyment of not having to drive around in a car that looks like Pigpen will pay off immensely. I went with the Hawk pads and have had zero problems with squeal or performance and consequently recommend them.

I did a write up for all those considering doing it. Don't think about it anymore, just do it yourself and you will be glad that you did!

http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f171/no-brake-dust-none-34204/index3.html#post488460

·
Registered
298 Posts
I get the same sound backing out of my driveway too! lol. had it on my 2007 srt8 charger and same with the 2010 chally srt8, indeed the price you pay for having good brakes, DUST and a ton of NOISE.
look at actual race cars with superb brakes! their rims are filthy dirty with dust and they do screeech a ton, we just dont hear it. Have a friend that owns a performance shop and he would get customers who would buy $6,000.00 big brembo brake kits and they would come back and complain that their brakes squeel and make more noise then their stock brakes. He would just wave turn around and wave his eyes and have to give the customer the break down on brake dust and compounds and high performance breaks and so on.
My neighbor has a new 911 turbo porsche, beautiful car and I have heard his brakes make some loud screeching sounds as he is pulling in driveway and leaving, and thats a $80k car! so I dont feel that bad:bigthumb:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts