Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Fellow MOPAR Mavins.

Time for new brake pads for my 2010 SRT.

Car has 8,500 total miles.

The pads are not worn much, they are just so damn dirty.
A 50 mile drive around town results in filthy wheels.

As this is not a track car I am more interested in less brake dust then in stopping power.

So, what pads should I be looking at to keep the wheels a little cleaner?

Thanks for your time,

Varooom

·
Registered
310 Posts
Hello Fellow Mopar Mavins.

Time for new brake pads for my 2010 SRT.

Car has 8500 total miles.

The pads are not worn much, they are just so damn dirty.
A 50 mile drive around town results in filthy wheels.

As this is not a track car I am more interested in less brake dust then in stopping power.

So, what pads should I be looking at to keep the wheels a little cleaner?

Thanks for your time,

Varooom
Most ceramic pads minimize dust. Here's a list from Tire Rack:

https://www.tirerack.com/brakes/results.jsp?autoMake=Dodge&autoModel=Challenger+SRT8&autoYear=2010&autoModClar=With+Performance+Tires

·
Super Moderator
15,339 Posts
as recommended, ceramic pad compounds will be much less dust and they're quiet.

I have 45k on a set of Akenbonos and there's little dust at all (what there is is the same color as the silver wheel paint) and they've got a long life left on them. Been very happy with that brand.

Power Stop is another pad that has been recommended - the Z23 (street) is the model to go with vs the Z26 version, which is much more aggressive.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Crazy story but my 2011,stock factory pads, has great brakes and like little to no dust.

My 2015 Jeep SRT stock factory pads, dust like absolute mad so bad the dust gets in under the door sill inside. It black marked my moms dress the other day. and they dont stop that great either. I just switched them to Raybestos EHT with way less dust and so far equal stopping power.

·
Super Moderator
15,339 Posts
Crazy story but my 2011,stock factory pads, has great brakes and like little to no dust.

My 2015 Jeep SRT stock factory pads, dust like absolute mad so bad the dust gets in under the door sill inside. It black marked my moms dress the other day. and they dont stop that great either. I just switched them to Raybestos EHT with way less dust and so far equal stopping power.
The '11+ 4 piston Brembo pads changed to a lower-dust version, compared to the earlier years. [customer feedback about the issue]

The 6-piston Brembo pads are extremely prone to producing dust. Seen brand new cars with 150mi on them with filthly wheels, calipers, etc. You probably did yourself a favor doing the pad swap, especially on the GC...that heaver vehicle will probably have you using the brakes more yet, compared to the cars.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Did the Z26 Power Stops on mine. Not as good as the Brembo's but I'll take dust free over better performance for now.

·
Registered
491 Posts
The '11+ 4 piston Brembo pads changed to a lower-dust version, compared to the earlier years. [customer feedback about the issue]

The 6-piston Brembo pads are extremely prone to producing dust. Seen brand new cars with 150mi on them with filthly wheels, calipers, etc. You probably did yourself a favor doing the pad swap, especially on the GC...that heaver vehicle will probably have you using the brakes more yet, compared to the cars.
Brake dust to me is like a necessary evil on a performance car but this was way way over the top. I came down an exit ramp at high speed with the window down one day and my arm out the window and could fell the stuff hitting me.

·
Super Moderator
15,339 Posts
Brake dust to me is like a necessary evil on a performance car but this was way way over the top. I came down an exit ramp at high speed with the window down one day and my arm out the window and could fell the stuff hitting me.
My brother had a C5 Z06 Vette - it was a silver color car. I noticed that I could see the "plume" of brake dust on sides of the car.

You may recall that the C5 had function front fender vent / extractors - on that car, you could see the brake dust trail from the vent along the sides of the car...!

·
Registered
518 Posts
as recommended, ceramic pad compounds will be much less dust and they're quiet.

I have 45k on a set of Akenbonos and there's little dust at all (what there is is the same color as the silver wheel paint) and they've got a long life left on them. Been very happy with that brand.

Power Stop is another pad that has been recommended - the Z23 (street) is the model to go with vs the Z26 version, which is much more aggressive.
I have used Hawk brake pads stopped very well and very quiet.
Just curious on the ceramics being quiet. I installed some Stop-tech cryo treated rotors and Hawk Ceramics. Car stops great, and dust is less than OEM rotor/pads, but they squeal terribly. I have since done the bedding procedure, the one i followed was about 8 60-10 stops. This was after about 10 minutes of city driving. It isn't easy finding the space without traffic to do this stuff.

Not to hijack the thread, but I think he got some good advise already.. and shows a potential issue with ceramics.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I recently replaced mine with Power Stop Z23 Evolution Ceramics. Brembo pads were pretty sorry. The dust and gritty little black specks went everywhere, and the pads squealed a little at low speeds. The Z23 pads have stopped nearly all of that. They're at least 90% cleaner, perfectly quiet, and provide good stopping power, after going through the recommended bedding process. Now I don't have to rinse the gritty brake dust off several times per week. I'm tickled pink.

·
Super Moderator
13,847 Posts
For those of you that have the dusty Brembo brake pads, and don't want to change them, here is what I do.

Every two months, I thoroughly wax the inside and outside of my wheels to maintain a slick and shiny surface. When I am not washing my car, after a drive, I use an aerosol spray bottle, filled with water, and a few paper towels to clean the inside of each wheel. The outside is cleaned with detail spray. I can complete this work, for all four wheels, in less than 15 minutes. The biggest problem, do to tight clearance, is cleaning around the large front brake calipers.

Admittedly, it's a chore, but I'm used to it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts