Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Dodge Challenger SRT 392
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2018 Challenger SRT 392 purchased in Jan 2020 with only 80 miles on it. It now has a 1100 miles on it. Since I have all this free time I decided to do the brake pad swap from the Brembo pads to the Powerstop Z26 pads. Swap went fine but the Brembo pads were not in good condition. The parts I marked in red are where the pads have broken apart. When I first test drove the car, there was a vibration in the brake pedal at speed and when applying brakes so I told the dealership they would have to fix that before I took delivery of it. The problem was gone when I got the car and it looks like all they did was drive real fast and do some hard braking(max speed was showing 97mph). This condition of these pads bothers me because if for some reason I don't like the Z26 pads, I won't be able to swap these damaged ones back in and I'm curious what caused them to fall apart in the first place.

·
Registered
2019 Challenger R/T Scat Pack Widebody
175 Posts
I can’t tell from the pics but those look like purpose made chamfers made in the production pads on the leading brake edges of the pad material to avoid brake squeal. It looks like it was made to be there but close up side view pictures would tell more of the story.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can’t tell from the pics but those look like purpose made chamfers made in the production pads on the leading brake edges of the pad material to avoid brake squeal. It looks like it was made to be there but close up side view pictures would tell more of the story.
I know what you mean by the chamfers but the areas in red are completely broken off. Just the backing plate is there with rough bits of brake material that hasn't fallen off yet.

·
Registered
2019 Challenger R/T Scat Pack Widebody
175 Posts
Thanks for the close up pics much more detail now, yeah those pads should not look like that at all. Any chance that was the dealers remedy to you brake pedal pulsation issue?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the close up pics much more detail now, yeah those pads should not look like that at all. Any chance that was the dealers remedy to you brake pedal pulsation issue?
I'd hate to think they would do that to them. I think they pulled the wheels to at least look because the calipers have multiple chips in them but I have no idea if they pulled the pads out. I was never told what they did to fix it. According to the history on the performance pages, someone(not me) had taken the vehicle up to 97mph and hit the brakes hard. I figured that's all they did.

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
1,619 Posts
Those look normal to me, leading chamfer with debris on them.
Look at the ones for sale in another thread

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Those look normal to me, leading chamfer with debris on them.
Look at the ones for sale in another thread
Thanks for that. I decided to do a Google Image Search(should have done that first) and apparently you are right. It is normal. Seems weird but I'm not a brake engineer. One of my pads has a chunk torn out in the middle that I don't think is right but oh well. Thanks to those who answered.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Give the Stop Tech “street” pads a try. All the Brembo bite with a lot less dust. I too tried the Z26 and tossed them in the trash a couple days later.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Give the Stop Tech “street” pads a try. All the Brembo bite with a lot less dust. I too tried the Z26 and tossed them in the trash a couple days later.
I did the z26 pad swap and have been content with them. What made you not like them?

My Brembos looked similar to that as well.

Ryan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I did the z26 pad swap and have been content with them. What made you not like them?

My Brembos looked similar to that as well.

Ryan

I tried 2 different sets of Z26’s thinking, with all the popularity, there should be something to these pads.

First set just didn’t perform as expected. Sure, they are low dust but that comes with penalties. Low dust comes from a harder compound which does not have the braking ability I wanted. Almost rear-ended a guy on the interstate when needing to do a panic stop where any other pad should have stopped no problem.

Later tried another set (since they are very inexpensive) thinking maybe I just got a bad lot. Same lame performance and this set squealed, in front, like crazy for some unknown reason.

After experimenting with 7 different pad manufacturers, none have done as well as Stop Tech “street” pads for overall performance and low dust. That’s just my opinion so take it for what it is.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I tried 2 different sets of Z26’s thinking, with all the popularity, there should be something to these pads.

First set just didn’t perform as expected. Sure, they are low dust but that comes with penalties. Low dust comes from a harder compound which does not have the braking ability I wanted. Almost rear-ended a guy on the interstate when needing to do a panic stop where any other pad should have stopped no problem.

Later tried another set (since they are very inexpensive) thinking maybe I just got a bad lot. Same lame performance and this set squealed, in front, like crazy for some unknown reason.

After experimenting with 7 different pad manufacturers, none have done as well as Stop Tech “street” pads for overall performance and low dust. That’s just my opinion so take it for what it is.
10-4. ThAts odd. I still feel like mine grab faster than I expect but my typical ride is a 2000 f250, 95 nissan hardbody, or 03 camry so......

Ryan

1 - 11 of 11 Posts