Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Brake Pedal Clunk (WITH) Videos help please??

12K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  Trimec 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello, all long time user first post for some time. So I purchased a 2018 Hellcat and experiencing a clunk sound when I release the brake pedal. I tested this on a lot of 2018 Chargers and Challengers. They seem to do the same thing as you can see in the video. One of the videos I have the salesperson check it out for me.

Basically, this is what happens.

1. Hold foot on break at a light
2. Light turns green
3. Release brake and hit gas

When I release the break it makes the clunk sound as you can hear clearly in the video. If I let off the break slowlyyyyyyyyyy it won't do it. It doesn't matter if the car is running or not. The sound IS NOT coming from the bottom part of the pedal. Were the rubber backing meets the metal brake shaft. It's coming under the dash almost but not from the engine compartment. Does anyone know of this issue and has anyone actually got this fixed? I just tested (5) 2018's and they all do this! It's really annoying!

https://youtu.be/b2iDmJ5-448
https://youtu.be/kRPs03gGyrQ

Thanks
BTW This post I found with NO fix to the issue regardless what the one person said. Dealer said that doesn't work. http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f188/fix-brake-pedal-clunk-287010/index3.html

See less See more
#5 · (Edited)
I agree with that but don't agree with it being normal as many have complained about this particular issue. There was ONE challenger that it didn't do it. So can't say all of them but I can say all 5 that I personally checked.

My point was A: Is this a normal sound (to you does yours do it) B: what could cause this sound?

If yours doesn't do it then something is wrong. People have reported this back to 2012 in rams, Chrysler, chargers challengers etc

#6 · (Edited)
I have a '15 R/T. I have had it for about 18 months, it was a demo. It currently has 50,000 miles. My expectations for my car's brake pedal are very simple. The brake pedal makes it stop. Sometimes it makes it stop VERY fast. It does not shake when stopping. It does not squeal when stopping. It does not grind when stopping. It does not pull when stopping. It does not lock up when stopping. I have not noticed, nor would I care about some mysterious "clunk" upon release. If you do, get your ass under the dash, and push and release it several times. Check how it interacts with the ubiquitous sound deadening panels that are everywhere in modern cars. That means getting uncomfortable, upside down, on the floor. If not, learn to live with something that 5 out of 5 Challengers of the same model do. What? You hinting you want a dealer to fix it, free? Something that effects NOTHING, that they all do, but annoys you, for free?

Now, If you go the the dealer and say "My brake pedal has some mechanical interference and clearance issues with the far forward part of the noise panel and the bake pedal strut, where the it goes through. The most obvious symptom is a slight 'clunk' sound upon releasing the pedal. I believable this to be a manufacturing issue. This car is new and under its full warranty. Would you please fix it such that it clears properly? That would make for a very happy customer." You might get somewhere with them.

I have a clunk in my drivers side window mechanism. It happens about 4 inches down from the top. I listen to it, if it changes, or gets worse I will look at having it looked at or replaced under the extended warranty. Right now, it goes up, it goes down. No problem.

#9 ·
I have a '15 R/T. I have had it for about 18 months, it was a demo. It currently has 50,000 miles. My expectations for my car's brake pedal are very simple. The brake pedal makes it stop. Sometimes it makes it stop VERY fast. It does not shake when stopping. It does not squeal when stopping. It does not grind when stopping. It does not pull when stopping. It does not lock up when stopping. I have not noticed, nor would I care about some mysterious "clunk" upon release. If you do, get your ass under the dash, and push and release it several times. Check how it interacts with the ubiquitous sound deadening panels that are everywhere in modern cars. That means getting uncomfortable, upside down, on the floor. If not, learn to live with something that 5 out of 5 Challengers of the same model do. What? You hinting you want a dealer to fix it, free? Something that effects NOTHING, that they all do, but annoys you, for free?

Now, If you go the the dealer and say "My brake pedal has some mechanical interference and clearance issues with the far forward part of the noise panel and the bake pedal strut, where the it goes through. The most obvious symptom is a slight 'clunk' sound upon releasing the pedal. I believable this to be a manufacturing issue. This car is new and under its full warranty. Would you please fix it such that it clears properly? That would make for a very happy customer." You might get somewhere with them.

I have a clunk in my drivers side window mechanism. It happens about 4 inches down from the top. I listen to it, if it changes, or gets worse I will look at having it looked at or replaced under the extended warranty. Right now, it goes up, it goes down. No problem.

what an anus hole you are

#7 · (Edited)
OK, first I'm more just curious what it is and if it has a problem. Still, answer the simple question does yours do it like so many others have complained about (link in OP thread)? Whoever said I wanted it fixed for free? I just curious what it was. Someone that has not owned a Challenger since 2012 in which that one didn't. My 2015 Jeep SRT doesn't do it, my 2017 Charger Hellcat doesn't do it, my friends 2016 Hellcat doesn't do it? I have looked man, and I have crawled all over that pedal area. The car has 54 miles and don't want to dig too deep prior to the dealership seeing it by removing things.

My only thing was if anyone found a resolution to it. Its obvious your car doesn't make this noise because if you did you wouldn't live with it. Just because your standards are lower than mine on what my expectations of how things should or shouldn't work is another story and I shouldn't get looked down upon because I want it right. I get it people don't care as much if it works then F":"k it kind of attitude. If a window motor is dying, or a power seat moves slower I get it fixed period end of story. I'm not cheap or lazy about letting it die before I get it fixed. Certain things I splurge on because the annoyance is worth the cost (TO ME) and maybe not everyone else.

Bottom line is I'm just reaching out to the forums prior to coming into the dealer. As people have complained about this particular issue and trying to narrow down what it could be. My guess would be some sort of adjustment in the pedal itself. I have seen people replace the brake pedal assembly and that didn't resolve it while other thought it was the booster or ever the shift-interlock. All didn't resolve the issue.

#13 ·
OK, first I'm more just curious what it is and if it has a problem. Still, answer the simple question does yours do it like so many others have complained about (link in OP thread)? Whoever said I wanted it fixed for free? I just curious what it was. Someone that has not owned a Challenger since 2012 in which that one didn't. My 2015 Jeep SRT doesn't do it, my 2017 Charger Hellcat doesn't do it, my friends 2016 Hellcat doesn't do it? I have looked man, and I have crawled all over that pedal area. The car has 54 miles and don't want to dig too deep prior to the dealership seeing it by removing things.

My only thing was if anyone found a resolution to it. Its obvious your car doesn't make this noise because if you did you wouldn't live with it. Just because your standards are lower than mine on what my expectations of how things should or shouldn't work is another story and I shouldn't get looked down upon because I want it right. I get it people don't care as much if it works then F":"k it kind of attitude. If a window motor is dying, or a power seat moves slower I get it fixed period end of story. I'm not cheap or lazy about letting it die before I get it fixed. Certain things I splurge on because the annoyance is worth the cost (TO ME) and maybe not everyone else.

Bottom line is I'm just reaching out to the forums prior to coming into the dealer. As people have complained about this particular issue and trying to narrow down what it could be. My guess would be some sort of adjustment in the pedal itself. I have seen people replace the brake pedal assembly and that didn't resolve it while other thought it was the booster or ever the shift-interlock. All didn't resolve the issue.
I know this is an old thread but I was wondering if you or anyone else ever found a resolution to this. I recently purchased a brand new 2020 Dodge Charger R/T and it too has had this exact same issue from day one. From what I have gathered, the sound is "normal" but you would think that with all the research and development that goes into car design in trying to eliminate rattles, clunks, and road noise that this would be at the top of the list for Dodge. Very annoying.

#8 ·
Hey Extreme3881: Have you had any luck in resolving the brake pedal clunk? I've been driving my truck for the past few weeks (no pedal clunk) and when I drove my challenger yesterday and today, that brake pedal clunk is the first thing I noticed. I would love to see if there is a fix for this. I did visit my local dealer about a month ago and they indicated all was OK. No fix available.

#12 ·
My SXT Plus "Clunks"

Purchased my SXT Plus in Nov. 2017. I noticed the brake pedal clunk the first week I drove the car. I had to go back to the dealer for something else that week and asked them about it. They said it was normal and invited me to try other cars sitting in the showroom. I tried four other Challengers in different trim lines and they all made the "clunk." I'm not worried about it and barely notice it anymore.

#15 ·
I definitely have not noticed this in my 2018 GT. About the only time I've heard something somewhat similar is if the car actives the "auto hold" feature where it applies the break automatically if you are on a hill, so that it doesn't roll back (I forget the technical name for the feature - but it's pretty cool). I seem to remember a similar type of sound when that activated, but that is about the only time.

Oh - and stuff like that normally drives me crazy (creaks, rattles, clunks, etc), so if it were happening on my GT, I would have noticed it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.