Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
2016 Scat Pack
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been driving my ‘16 SP for 10,400 miles and I’ve always wondered why my brakes never squealed as everybody else’s do. Well, today they just started with an ear piercing, embarressing squeal. Now I need to do some searching and reading to learn what pads others have switched to. I can’t live with that annoying noise!

·
Registered
9,351 Posts
MrMacG5, I've hit a little over 20k miles on my '16, and no squealing yet.

I'm not hard on the braking, but every time out, I usually do at least one WOT blast to about 90 or so, and then hit the brakes hard to get back to 55 or so.

I also wash my car at the local DIY wash, and hit the rims and brakes well with high pressure wash and rinse. After that, a good spin to "drip dry" everything.

So far, I think that this may be helping in not getting any squeals from the Brembos. I don't do much stop and go driving, so this may help also.

Guess that time will tell, but so far so good at 20k.

Best of luck getting rid of the noise.

·
Premium Member
2016 Scat Pack
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
MrMacG5, I've hit a little over 20k miles on my '16, and no squealing yet.

I'm not hard on the braking, but every time out, I usually do at least one WOT blast to about 90 or so, and then hit the brakes hard to get back to 55 or so.

I also wash my car at the local DIY wash, and hit the rims and brakes well with high pressure wash and rinse. After that, a good spin to "drip dry" everything.

So far, I think that this may be helping in not getting any squeals from the Brembos. I don't do much stop and go driving, so this may help also.

Guess that time will tell, but so far so good at 20k.

Best of luck getting rid of the noise.
Thanks for the tips. I drove the car a bit over a hundred miles today, mostly interstate, but through town, they never made a sound. I've never used one of the car washes with pressure hoses and that might be a good idea to do at least one time. I haven't done a high speed stop even once and spend most of my driving time in town with slow stop and go. I figured that's why they never had gotten noisy. Maybe it was just one of those things yesterday. I don't want to have to spend bucks to replace perfectly good pads, but will if I ned to.

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
66 Posts
Brake squeal on my '15 SRT started at about 15000 miles. It was definitely from the brake dust build up. Every time I washed the car and used my power washer to do the rims and calipers the squeal would go away. As soon as the brake dust started to build up again, which would only be about a day or two, the squeal would come back.

I just replaced the front pads in mid October with Power Stop Z26 Extreme Street. https://www.powerstop.com/. Brake dust isn't even a concern now. I've only had to wash the rims twice since the pad change compared to every two days with the OEM pads

It was fairly easy since you can swap out the pads (on the Brembos) without removing the calipers, it took me about 45 minutes total.

You can get them from Amazon, front pads cost about $70 for the six piston Brembos -or- $60 for the four piston, or if you just want daily driver pads you can get the Z23 Evolution Sport for a few dollars less.

Most important thing is to make sure you bed the brakes after you install the new pads. Just follow Power Stops break in procedure.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I have gotten the squeal on two separate sets of Brembo pads. I am also a little hard on braking depending on what I am doing. I didn't mind the squeal when the 6-piston pads were $100 a set for the front and I replaced them in the Spring. Now that the pads are over $250 for the front set I went with Powerstop Z23 in the back and Z26 up front. No squealing and no more brake dust. Be prepared to have a brown tint to your rotors though. I think the material from the Powerstop pad is reacting with the old brake lining on my rotors and put a weird brownish tint to the metal. It also cuts the rotor a bit more, too. You have to remember that, the reason Brembo pads dust so much is because it is compressed sand alloy which makes the pads soft. Since the pads are soft they grab hard and wear quickly. This saves the rotors from wearing out too soon. I don't know if you have checked on the price of new stock rotors, but they are easily $700+ a piece. Ceramic pads won't wear out or dust as much as the stock Brembo's, but that is going to be at the cost of wearing out the 2-piece rotors much sooner. I have done 2.5 track days on the same rotors and all I have done is swap out the Brembo pads. No warping or pulsing from the rotors. With the Powerstop ceramics, I can tell that they are wearing the rotors a bit faster since the slots in the middle are already getting pretty shallow. I am likely done with track days with the car for now so this will be fine, but I would not recommend doing any type of spirited driving event with ceramic pads. I would like put my semi-worn Brembo pads back on and deal with the squeal so that I don't have to spend nearly $1,400 on new rotors.

Just remember, when there are two metals making contact then something has to give. The brake dust was annoying, but pads are always cheaper than rotors.

·
Premium Member
2016 Scat Pack
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have gotten the squeal on two separate sets of Brembo pads. I am also a little hard on braking depending on what I am doing. I didn't mind the squeal when the 6-piston pads were $100 a set for the front and I replaced them in the Spring. Now that the pads are over $250 for the front set I went with Powerstop Z23 in the back and Z26 up front. No squealing and no more brake dust. Be prepared to have a brown tint to your rotors though. I think the material from the Powerstop pad is reacting with the old brake lining on my rotors and put a weird brownish tint to the metal. It also cuts the rotor a bit more, too. You have to remember that, the reason Brembo pads dust so much is because it is compressed sand alloy which makes the pads soft. Since the pads are soft they grab hard and wear quickly. This saves the rotors from wearing out too soon. I don't know if you have checked on the price of new stock rotors, but they are easily $700+ a piece. Ceramic pads won't wear out or dust as much as the stock Brembo's, but that is going to be at the cost of wearing out the 2-piece rotors much sooner. I have done 2.5 track days on the same rotors and all I have done is swap out the Brembo pads. No warping or pulsing from the rotors. With the Powerstop ceramics, I can tell that they are wearing the rotors a bit faster since the slots in the middle are already getting pretty shallow. I am likely done with track days with the car for now so this will be fine, but I would not recommend doing any type of spirited driving event with ceramic pads. I would like put my semi-worn Brembo pads back on and deal with the squeal so that I don't have to spend nearly $1,400 on new rotors.

Just remember, when there are two metals making contact then something has to give. The brake dust was annoying, but pads are always cheaper than rotors.
Thanks for a great, detailed report! This is good information for a guy like me who has no former experience with muscle car brakes.

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
I took my pads out this weekend, cleaned the back as best I could and re-applied the copper anti-seize.

Seemed like it was running a little thin, so I over-applied slightly and pressed it down hard and evenly to make sure it wasn't going to ooze out and spill everywhere.

Hasn't squealed so far, but that could be a symptom of having cleaned the backing plate and the weather. We'll see how long that lasts me, for now I am going to enjoy not sounding like a school bus coming to a stop.

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
I've had a squeal for the past couple months. Seems worse on colder days. There's also a light ring on the rotor. I'd assume that would mean somethings up with the pad? Is this something I could bring to the dealer to fix or would I be better of taking care of on my own? I have less than 4,000 miles on the car so they definitely should not be squealing already.

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
I've had a squeal for the past couple months. Seems worse on colder days. There's also a light ring on the rotor. I'd assume that would mean somethings up with the pad? Is this something I could bring to the dealer to fix or would I be better of taking care of on my own? I have less than 4,000 miles on the car so they definitely should not be squealing already.
Brembos squeal regardless and there isn't much the dealer can do about it.

I took my pads out on my own and while my squealing has reduced a little, it hasn't completely gone away. I'm still unsure if it was my handiwork or the change of weather, so the jury is still out on that one until summer.

My friend's Charger squeals like crazy regardless of weather.

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Brembos squeal regardless and there isn't much the dealer can do about it.

I took my pads out on my own and while my squealing has reduced a little, it hasn't completely gone away. I'm still unsure if it was my handiwork or the change of weather, so the jury is still out on that one until summer.

My friend's Charger squeals like crazy regardless of weather.
I wonder though if the ring that’s on the rotor means that there’s something worn on the pads?

·
Super Moderator
15,379 Posts
I wonder though if the ring that’s on the rotor means that there’s something worn on the pads?
No - nothing wrong with the pad.

All pads are going to be slightly inboard or the outer edge of the rotor.

Otherwise, if you had pad material protruding out, a chunk of material might likely break off from the pad (since the inner portion would wear and the unworn portion would be beyond the rotor).

Rotors wear down to a thinner dimension all the while the pads wear away too.

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
No - nothing wrong with the pad.

All pads are going to be slightly inboard or the outer edge of the rotor.

Otherwise, if you had pad material protruding out, a chunk of material might likely break off from the pad (since the inner portion would wear and the unworn portion would be beyond the rotor).

Rotors wear down to a thinner dimension all the while the pads wear away too.
Makes sense. So I guess it’s just more of a product of the cold weather then.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
With my Porsche cars brake squeal developed over time. Didn't seem to be tied to the ambient temperature.

What I found helped -- and I note this was mentioned in this thread in earlier posts -- is to "wash" the brakes.

Whenever I heard the brakes start to squeal, before it developed into something ear piercing, I'd just hit a DIY car wash and use first the soap spray on the wheels/brake hardware then the rinse spray then follow with the no spot rinse.

With the higher pressure spray settings I'd keep the wand nozzle back away from brake caliber and piston to avoid possibly tearing the brake piston dust boot. But I would be sure to aim at this area to remove as much brake dust the boots had collected as possible.

The no spot rinse setting produces a much lower pressure spray and with this setting I get the nozzle quite close to the pistons to really give them a thorough rinsing to remove any dust.

A surprising amount of black dust -- iron mostly I guess -- would run off the brake/wheel.

After the washing I would be sure to drive the car and use the brakes often enough and hard enough to get them completely 100% dry.

This always quieted down the brakes, eliminated the squeal.

I believe what happens is the brake piston dust boots collect dust (no surprise there) and the weight of this dust (mostly iron dust) interferes with the natural tendency of when the brake pedal is released for the piston to retract slightly. This is retraction is due to the hysteresis of the piston seals.

If a piston doesn't retract this can leave the pad in contact -- light contact -- with the brake rotor. The pad can develop a glaze -- possibly the iron rotor too -- that then can result in a squeal.

What I would use as a sign the brakes needed washing was the beginning of a squeal, a faint squeal, when driving slow like through a parking lot. This was a sign to me the brake pistons were not able to retract far enough to ensure a separation of brake pad and rotor.

My '18 Challenger R/T Scat Pack has too few miles on it (less than 1900) for the brakes to have accumulated any real dust. Besides I've washed the car a couple of times already and as is my habit even if the car is not in the wash specifically to wash/rinse the brakes I give them a washing anyhow.

·
Super Moderator
15,379 Posts
I'll toss my empirical observation with my '16 SP Shaker - rear pads on Brembos will squeal the first moments applying the brakes (cold, hot, etc.) and with more pressure, they stop.

A friend of mine also has a '16 SP and when we're driving - I'll hear him apply the brakes with that same slight squeal from the rears. We've gone on "rallye runs" on the back roads in warmer weather and can hear this when he's behind on the road.

I have ~ 13.5k on the SP and I clean the brakes, rotors pretty thoroughly - since I have black wheel pockets, there's evidence of brake dust that you have to clean diligently to get rid of that residue. My did the rear squeal from the get-go and still does it...just accepted that's what they do - especially since my friends car with ~ 7k on it does the same.

My '09 R/T which had the Bosch two-piston brakes, never squealed over the 43k mi I put on that Challenger.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I replaced my Brembo front pads with Hawk HPS on my 2010 SRT.
Dust significantly reduced; but brake squeal still there on the right front.
I think it's the rotor & not the pads that is causing the persistent squeal.
Bedded the pads properly too.(several times). :pimp:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts