Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been changing brakes and rotors since I can remember on all most every car, and non have gave me any problems, but my 13 challenger rt has been getting under my skin. I have replaced 3 sets of front brakes pads and 1 set of rotors and I can not stop the front brakes to stop squeaking. It only squeaks when pressing down on the brakes about 50% pressure, Does not do it when slowing pressing or hard pressing the brakes. Could it be the Calipers?( There not leaking and all seals are good.

Brake pads: ¹duralast gold pads,²Akebone pads, ³ Power stop pads
Rotors: PowerStop rotors.

·
Premium Member
The Pork Wagon (‘14 Cop Charger)
6,848 Posts
I had a similar issue with mine, and it turned out to be the caliper. However, mine was clearly in need of replacement, I just didn’t know it because I swore the squeal was coming from the rear brake and focused my parts canon on it instead.

There are so many different ways a brake setup can end up squeaking, I’ve found it’s best to start with the easy stuff and work toward the more involved when trying to eliminate brake noise.

Are the slide pins in good shape, i.e. no corrosion or pitting on their surface?

Did you grease the slide pins with the right kind of grease? (There is definitely a wrong kind, in fact most of it is wrong, there is only 1 or 2 types that will work.)

Is all the hardware new? (The clips and side pin dust boots should be replaced if they weren’t during a previous brake job.)

Do you still have the original pads you replaced the first time when all this started? If so, check their wear pattern to tell if calipers are not operating properly.

Did you follow the pad manufacturers’ bedding in process for the new pads? They differ from maker to maker, and honestly this likely isn’t your problem, but it’s easy to rule out and costs nothing if not done yet.

·
Premium Member
The Pork Wagon (‘14 Cop Charger)
6,848 Posts
Just dawned on me I made big ta-do about the right kind of grease for the slide pins but didn’t provide any details to go along with it. So here goes, my understanding and experience with brake grease types:
  • Permatex makes several types advertised as being for the brake system. Use NONE of them on the slide pins since they have rubber boots which will swell when that grease is used. It can be used on the pad ears and clips, but NOT on the pins.
  • Use only silicone brake grease on the pins, as it won’t react with the rubber boots. Sil-glyed (sp?) is one brand of this type.
  • Make sure to clean out all old grease from the pin bores with a q-tip and brake cleaner. Then apply a very small amount of the silicone grease to pins. You can use too much, and it doesn’t take much.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I have been changing brakes and rotors since I can remember on all most every car, and non have gave me any problems, but my 13 challenger rt has been getting under my skin. I have replaced 3 sets of front brakes pads and 1 set of rotors and I can not stop the front brakes to stop squeaking. It only squeaks when pressing down on the brakes about 50% pressure, Does not do it when slowing pressing or hard pressing the brakes. Could it be the Calipers?( There not leaking and all seals are good.

Brake pads: ¹duralast gold pads,²Akebone pads, ³ Power stop pads
Rotors: PowerStop rotors.
It is important when you do the brakes to clean the brake hardware, specifically the caliper and its dust boots thoroughly.

I budget one can of aerosol brake cleaner per wheel for this. Layer newspapers under the brake to catch the dirty fluid.

This removes the brake dust that builds up on everything but in regards to squealing the dust on the piston dust boots is the real concern. The dust can interfere with the natural slight retraction the piston has when the brake pedal is released (Seal hysteresis.) If this doesn't happen one or more pads can drag on the rotor. This results in a glaze forming and brake squeal especially with light application of the brakes is the result.

I have found too that after some time the brakes will start to squeal. This is when I have found a good brake washing is called for to remove the brake dust. Afterwards the car must be driven enough and the brakes used hard enough to completely dry the brake hardware, including the parking brake hardware that is "buried" in the rear hubs.

A mini brake bedding in operation works well for this.

I have not done Dodge brakes -- at least not recently -- within the last 40 years -- but I only use any lube or grease or thread anti-seize that is called for in the factory manual instructions for brake R&R.

For my last cars ( Porsche ) the factory called for no grease or any lube anywhere, with one exception. A bit of grease was applied to threads of the small screws that fastened the rotor to the hub. These were not tightened down very tight either. They are only there to hold the rotor to the hub when the wheel is removed. The bit of grease made removing these after 10s of thousands of miles easy peasy.

The brakes were quiet to begin with but with some considerable use developed the faint squeal symptom. But I found washing the brakes put a stop to this.

Might add the factory called for new pads, new rotors, new caliper bolts (which had a special thread coating/surface treatment), new pad retainers, new pad retainer pins and new retainer pin clips and new rotor to hub screws, oh and new pad wear sensors. (The parts catalog even had a specific part # for the brake hardware kit.) After a brake job the only original hardware left was the brake caliper.

·
Registered
2015 RT Shaker (STP/A8/FORGED/NAPPA/NO SUNROOF)
498 Posts
Are you using a brake cleaner routinely? I recommend CRC brakleen.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts