Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Forum members,

Yesterday I went to the dealership. And they asked me to change the brake rotors and pads as they found some hotspots. I changed my factory brake pads to hawk performance track 5.0 once at 15,000 miles and now they are done and dusted at 31,000.
Factory rotors are $2000 for front 2 whereas power stop is selling the front 2 rotors at $850 and I am also getting the pads with an additional payment of $180. The Z26 pads.
Factory pads are $445
Total factory set up is $2445
Total power stop set up is $950

Do you have any other recommendation for Brake rotors and pads set up that you have used before and loved it And of course which would be better than factory rotors and brake pads?

What do you recommend?

I also will need new tires. I thought of going with staggered setup. I was thinking of buying wheels for the rear but I got a pair of rear wheels exactly the same as our factory but not forged wheels. They are asking $221 each. 20x10.5.
The dealership said they can fit 305s into stock wheels but I think it would be better if I go for 20x10.5.

Stock factory Forged wheels with 9.5s OR replica wheels 10.5s but not forged?

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
I would recommend getting a Tazer as well so you can use the ABS system for linelock...that way you are easier on your rear brakes during burnouts.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Check out the DBA (Disk Brakes Australia) web site. I have them on my fronts and real happy. Decent pricing too. Think I purchased mine from Speedlogix.

I tried the Z26 pads and are great for low dust but be aware the performance/bite isn't quite as good as Brembo. If you don't have 6 piston calipers, I'd seriously consider Akebono pad products. They unfortunately are not making 6 piston pads yet.

·
Super Moderator
13,338 Posts
The OEM price for brakes and rotors is excessive. I would buy the Power Stops.

Also, if you go with 305 tires, use a 10.5 inch wheel. The widest tire that will wear and perform properly on a 9.5 inch wheel is a 275.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
You can't go wrong with the DBA or the Powerstop rotors. We've talked about this many times here. As of our last round of discussions, DBA was winning the price wars. Unlike Powerstop, DBA also offers the option of just buying the outer rotors and bolting them to your own OEM hats. This is a money saver. As you know know, the 6 piston Brembo's have two piece rotors: the cast iron outer ring and the aluminum inner "hat." Powerstop had no intent to offer these items separately as of the last time I spoke with them on the phone about a year ago.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Speaking with experience with my current 07' R/T (19' scat pack ordered) - I would recommend Centrix rotors. Power Stop just uses and rebrands Centrix rotors (discovered this a few years ago when doing lengthy research on what rotors to pick up). The Centrix rotors are solid. Put them on with a Pro Cut Lathe and you'll be happy you did. They lasted me a solid 80-90k miles and performed well. Now they are warped (the last time I changed my pads, they used a Pro Cut Lathe, and told me they were down to the last bit of the rotor and could barely get them to surface).

I currently run the Power Stop pads. I like them. I wasn't a fan of the Hawk - they never shut the **** up and were excessively dirty.

I would bet that the brembo pads are badass - and you could get away with Centrix rotors. Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
9 Posts
If your talking about the stock forged 7 spoke wheel on the 2015+ SRT 392 and Hellcat, they should be able to handle up to a 295 tires size, I wouldn't go wider than that though. They come stock with 275 and at the Bondurant Racing School they use a 285 Good Year on all four stock rims with obviously no issues tracking the car every day. However a 295 might cause some rubbing the front wheel well, not sure.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I would recommend Centrix rotors. Power Stop just uses and rebrands Centrix rotors (discovered this a few years ago when doing lengthy research on what rotors to pick up).
I have highlighted some false information that you posted above. If you are going to continue to post on this forum, we would appreciate if you make sure you know what you're talking about before posting stuff like this. I would request that you edit the information in your post to prevent anybody from becoming confused.

One of the hallmarks of this forum is accurate information, especially when it comes to the products we discuss on these pages.

Powerstop does not rebrand anybody's rotors and sell them as their own. They never have. Furthermore, Powerstop does NOT sell their rotors to other vendors with license to rebrand them either. When you buy Powerstop, you can rest assured that the product that you are buying was engineered, manufactured, tested and marketed by Powerstop and nobody else.

While I'm at it, why would somebody put a brand new set of rotors on a car WITH a Procut lathe? Are you saying they need to be turned on a lathe during installation? That doesn't speak very highly of the rotors you are trying to endorse, Sir. Then you go on to say your rotors are warped. That point doesn't provide any accolades for the rotors you speak of either.

I don't claim to know anything about Centric (not Centrix as you wrote) rotors. But one thing I do know: they are not the source of any Powerstop products.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I think I will go with dba rotor rings and use SRT center parts. That's because dba provides 2 piece rotors.
Great idea. Hope you have an inch-pound torque wrench to install all the bolts. Reach out to MiHiHemi if ya have any questions, he just did this on this 6 piston Brembo front rotors. Let us know where ya decide to get them and how much they end up costing (just curious).

·
Premium Member
331 Posts
Currently run the Power Stop pads. I like them. I wasn't a fan of the Hawk - they never shut the **** up and were excessively dirty. .
There is a reason Hawk's don't shut the f'up, every time you hit the brake's it's meant to sound's like a Hawk.

I'm switching over to PowerStop in 2 weeks when I have some downtime. Hoping to see this Brembo Hawk squeak go away.

·
Premium Member
9,259 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
I have highlighted some false information that you posted above. If you are going to continue to post on this forum, we would appreciate if you make sure you know what you're talking about before posting stuff like this. I would request that you edit the information in your post to prevent anybody from becoming confused.

One of the hallmarks of this forum is accurate information, especially when it comes to the products we discuss on these pages.

Powerstop does not rebrand anybody's rotors and sell them as their own. They never have. Furthermore, Powerstop does NOT sell their rotors to other vendors with license to rebrand them either. When you buy Powerstop, you can rest assured that the product that you are buying was engineered, manufactured, tested and marketed by Powerstop and nobody else.

While I'm at it, why would somebody put a brand new set of rotors on a car WITH a Procut lathe? Are you saying they need to be turned on a lathe during installation? That doesn't speak very highly of the rotors you are trying to endorse, Sir. Then you go on to say your rotors are warped. That point doesn't provide any accolades for the rotors you speak of either.

I don't claim to know anything about Centric (not Centrix as you wrote) rotors. But one thing I do know: they are not the source of any Powerstop products.

I agree regarding this forum being great for accurate information. I lurked on these forums for years and years before I made an account - great people and great information.

Based on research I did long ago, it was stated by several people in the business that Centric (thanks for correction) rotors were used for Powerstop products, and Powerstop certified/tested them. That isn't an insult, Centric rotors are fantastic products.

Yes, with a pro-cut lathe. I imagine that you're familiar that when you install a rotor, and apply a brake pad to the surface of the rotor upon stopping, the best performance is displayed when they mate together on a perfectly parallel plane. Installing with a pro-cut lathe ensures that rotor/pad meet-up are perfect, taking into account the mating of the rotor to the hub. This is common knowledge that installing with a pro-cut lathe is the best practice.

Also, my rotors are warped after nearly 100,000 miles and heavy useage. I'm sure this is the part where you tell me that your rotors would never do that, but I find it hard to believe, considering that every rotor will eventually be without enough thickness to maintain heat dissipation after a certain mileage.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
...Based on research I did long ago, it was stated by several people in the business that Centric (thanks for correction) rotors were used for Powerstop products, and Powerstop certified/tested them...

Yes, with a pro-cut lathe. I imagine that you're familiar that when you install a rotor, and apply a brake pad to the surface of the rotor upon stopping, the best performance is displayed when they mate together on a perfectly parallel plane. Installing with a pro-cut lathe ensures that rotor/pad meet-up are perfect, taking into account the mating of the rotor to the hub. This is common knowledge that installing with a pro-cut lathe is the best practice.
Also, my rotors are warped after nearly 100,000 miles and heavy usage...
We understand you did some research and spoke to some people "in the business." I believe you and your integrity is not in question here. However, I would recommend that you contact Centric (800-758-3004) and Powerstop (888-863-4415) and simply ask them. Though they are competitors and not partners, they are both reputable companies and no doubt will tell you what they told me. Powerstop does not rebrand anybody's rotors and sell them with the Powerstop logo on them. They were emphatic in saying that every product that carries the Powerstop name is designed, tested, manufactured, and distributed by Powerstop alone. The old adage "right from the horse's mouth" goes a long way here.

I wish I had a dime for every time somebody that I considered reputable and knowledgable gave me false information. I'd be a rich man by now. For example I was told a couple years ago by several reputable shops that a two-piece rotor like mine could not be turned on a brake machine. One fella went on to explain that he'd been doing this 30 years and listed off the names of the brake machines he'd used through the years in several shops he'd worked in. But I found out later that there are indeed shops that can and will cut these two piece rotors, and do a great job at it as well. So much for all the guys I talked to who claimed to know what they were talking about, had years of experience to back it up, but were simply WRONG about the concept of being able to turn a 2 piece rotor.

You said that it is "common knowledge that installing with a pro-cut lathe is the best practice." This lathe may be simply amazing, I don't question your words here. But it's certainly not common knowledge on this forum and it wasn't common knowledge with the brake shops I spoke with personally. I would defer to the collective here to comment on this, but I've never read about it on these pages. My Dodge dealer told me they cut the rotors right on the car. But they didn't mention what KIND of brake lathe they used. Could you shed a little light here on just what a Procut lathe is and whether or not this is used at better Dodge dealers? That would be interesting for sure.

I worked in tool and die shops most of my life. I made a lot of money doing things that other guys said couldn't be done. That was not only the "specialty" of the shops I worked at, but it often fell to me to figure out a way to do the "impossible." I'm starting to digress here, but the point was that just because several knowledgable people make a claim, that doesn't always make it so.

Oh, and concerning your warped rotors, I agree that after THAT many miles, even the best of rotors can and will have issues.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
About this Discussion
28 Replies
12 Participants
garyahouse
Dodge Challenger Forum
Challenger Talk, the online forum for discussions, reviews of Dodge Challenger, and all things SRT, Hellcat, and Demon.
Full Forum Listing