Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 R/T with manual and Super Track Pack and it's now past time for new pads and rotors. I understand the manual and/or super track pack options call for improved brakes but I don't know the full details and when I look for parts I don't really see the ability to select those options to find the right parts. What am I missing?

Also, not sure if I should go with the stock setup or something else. The stock has been fine I guess, it's quiet at least and I got about 40k out of it, but the brake dust is terrible. I"ve seen folks recommend the Powerstop Z23 but not sure if there's any drawback over stock... Do they make noise and do drilled rotors tend to crack?

Thanks!

·
Registered
Furious Fuchsia 2010 Challenger R/T Classic A5
404 Posts
2012...so SXT had thin non-vented rear rotors and SRT had colorful Brembos with slotted rotors. The R/T had the BR5 brake package with dual-piston calipers on 13.8" plain vented rotors out front and single-piston calipers on 12.6" plain vented rotors out back. If you're unsure, just measure the diameter & thickness and count the number pistons in the caliper.

The pads you find should have the numbers "1058" for the front and "1057" for the rear, indicating the pad style matches the specs for an R/T front and rear, respectively.

Factory rotors are fine unless you're road racing or want them to look prettier. Many aftermarket options above and below OEM prices that will work just as well. I've used the PowerStop Z23/26/37 pads before and no complaints. Ceramic pads are typically quieter and less-dusty than the semi-metallic ones.

Reactions: Nuke

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that info, although the way you describe it makes it sounds like I can't be sure of what I have without taking it apart to see the calipers and pads. So I guess I'm still not sure how I would go about ordering the correct brake parts for RT manual/super track pack. None of the online vendors I've seen specify that option. Or am I wrong that there's any difference in brake systems between the various options for RT's? Thanks again.

·
Registered
14,490 Posts
R/T with M6 or STP, you will have the BR6 brakes, same calipers and rear rotors as BR5 but front rotors are thicker and brake pads are different hence the more dust.

So if you need rotors the should be able to get the correct ones under BR6, the calipers are the same.

The Z37 pads are more similar to the BR6 pads if you want to stay close to stock but if dust is too bad, go with the Z23's. And I'd forget the drilled rotors due to possible crack issues and there is really no benefit other than looks.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
R/T with M6 or STP, you will have the BR6 brakes, same calipers and rear rotors as BR5 but front rotors are thicker and brake pads are different hence the more dust.

So if you need rotors the should be able to get the correct ones under BR6, the calipers are the same.

The Z37 pads are more similar to the BR6 pads if you want to stay close to stock but if dust is too bad, go with the Z23's. And I'd forget the drilled rotors due to possible crack issues and there is really no benefit other than looks.
Thanks, so it sounds like if I'm going with aftermarket pads like Z23's they will fit because the RT calipers are all the same?

But since the front rotors are different, I can't see where to select the BR6 equivalent. On the powerstop site for example you can only select RT, nothing about M6 or STP. This seems to be the same on Summit and elsewhere. How do I know if the front rotors will be BR5 or 6 size?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Would be nice to know how/where to find the correct thickness front rotors. I'm not finding that information anywhere.

An old discussion on this site lists the Mopar part numbers for the BR6 components but even the mopar website doesn't list the thickness specs...

·
Registered
14,490 Posts
I've got it, give me a minute to look it up.

·
Registered
14,490 Posts
Well hell, on the thickness the BR6 shows the same as BR5, 1.26".

I could have sworn they were thicker, I seem to remember 1.37".

They've got a different part number so something must be different, maybe we can get a parts guy that has them to measure them. I'll see what I can find.

BR5 rotor 68368065AA
BR6 rotor 5154118AD

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for checking, I'll be interested to hear what you find. The difference between BR5 and BR6 brakes seems to be an ongoing point of confusion. Maybe it's only the pads?

In the discussion at this link, Yahooligan lists part numbers and he states the rotors are "likely" thicker but doesn't specify a measurement... Different brake pads for STP car?

The main reason the thickness measurement seems important is I don't know how else to verify the correct STP rotors since sellers don't seem to explicitly state the application, only RT or RT Classic which isn't entirely relevant. If there's another easier way to find the correct rotors I'd love to hear it but it does seem strange if the rotors are in fact different that the sellers don't specify the option.

·
Registered
14,490 Posts
I believe those BR6 rotors were also used on the Charger Pursuit BR8 thru mid-2014 before the Pursuit only BR9 system came along, now those are some serious brakes, 14.5" rotors in front and 13.8" on rear.

·
Registered
2015 RT Shaker (STP/A8/FORGED/NAPPA/NO SUNROOF)
489 Posts
The main reason the thickness measurement seems important is I don't know how else to verify the correct STP rotors since sellers don't seem to explicitly state the application, only RT or RT Classic which isn't entirely relevant. If there's another easier way to find the correct rotors I'd love to hear it but it does seem strange if the rotors are in fact different that the sellers don't specify the option.
Send a PM to @stevewhite

·
Vendor
12,389 Posts
and probably br9 as well

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I’m not sure that it really makes a difference that you have STP. That option may only apply to the suspension and not the braking system. If none of the manufactures distinguish between the options it’s likely that there is no difference. I am be wrong here and have been wrong in the past but I suspect it really isn’t a big deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Vendor
12,389 Posts
base on specific vins, maybe different part number used, dont know

I would not recommend drilled rotors, only slotted, drill have a habit of cracking

Reactions: Pauljw

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
A breakthrough! Thanks for all this information. It didn't make sense that sellers wouldn't offer that option as a selection if the parts really had different spec's, now I guess we know why.

I think the confusion is based on more than just having different part numbers, as pointed out on several other discussions here the descriptions of the brake packages are different:
BR5 = R/T standard "perf" brakes
BR6 = R/T "HD" brakes

Seems pretty misleading of the manufacturer if there is really no difference in the rotors, calipers, or pads... but at least we know now!

1 - 20 of 61 Posts