Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been hearing some raddling sound on both sides going over small cracks and bumps, but when I apply brakes and go over the same cracks and bumps I dont hear any nosie. I have bought new guide pins for the calipers and it foxed the nosie for about a week and noise came back. Does anybody think I should get new caliper brackets or new calipers?

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
8,501 Posts
How many miles on car?

·
Registered
2010 R/T
28 Posts
I have been hearing some raddling sound on both sides going over small cracks and bumps, but when I apply brakes and go over the same cracks and bumps I dont hear any nosie. I have bought new guide pins for the calipers and it foxed the nosie for about a week and noise came back. Does anybody think I should get new caliper brackets or new calipers?
I just did some reading on an old thread about this particular noise, sounds like quite a few people have this problem. I have the same odd rattling sound coming from the passenger side of the car when I hit small bumps. It's not too loud but definitely noticeable, would like to find a fix as well.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I believe its either the caliper bracket/ guide pins. going to buy a set of new ones, see that helps. I dont see anything wrong with any suspension components.

·
Premium Member
8,501 Posts
I believe its either the caliper bracket/ guide pins. going to buy a set of new ones, see that helps. I dont see anything wrong with any suspension components.
IMHO your noise is more likely to be coming from the suspension. Tension strut bushing(s), sway bar bushing(s), and sway bar end links are the most common culprits for front end rattles and clunks on the LX cars.

The sway bar bushings are relatively cheap, even when buying OE ones from dealership (~$8-10 each IIRC). They are easy enough to replace too that I'd advise doing it no matter what simply because they probably need replacing now anyway, and they just might solve the rattling noise issue.

The end links are a little more expensive and a little harder to replace, but not too much on either, and if you have the tools and are mechanically inclined, they should not be a problem to replace at all. And again, they may actually need replacing and could end up solving the noise problem.

The tension strut bushings are on the opposite end of all those scales unfortunately. You have to replace the whole tension strut bar to replace the bushing, they cost more than both the end links and sway bar bushings combined IIRC, and they are a massive pain to replace...so much so, i won't even try it myself. I lack the proper tools and even desire to tackle those, so i wouldn't recommend anyone else trying them unless you know what you are getting into.

And the worst part about those is you cannot see the tension strut bushings while installed to even make the judgment they need to be replaced.

There are other possibilities on the suspension too, but ill leave those for another thread. You asked about replacing brake system components in this one, so let me get back to that.

Your observation about the noise stopping when applying the brakes is a good one, and i would normally agree that points at the brakes, except in the case of these cars. Based on what I've seen and experienced with these cars, a front end noise will be caused by something in the suspension.

I'm not saying its impossible you have a bad brake part, and i may very well be wrong in this case...im just saying if it is a brake problem causing the rattle up front, that'll be the first instance I've personally known about where an LX rattled up front and it was not a suspension prob.

·
Premium Member
8,501 Posts
Can you record a quick video or audio clip of the rattle as it happens and post up for us to hear?

I think that would go a long way toward narrowing down where to start diagnosing. The front end rattle is pretty distinct when its a suspension component. If it doesn't sound anything like that, ill back off and yield to the brake system approach ?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Can you record a quick video or audio clip of the rattle as it happens and post up for us to hear?

I think that would go a long way toward narrowing down where to start diagnosing. The front end rattle is pretty distinct when its a suspension component. If it doesn't sound anything like that, ill back off and yield to the brake system approach ?
Well, Found what was wrong. It was the brake calipers. One of guide pins was not moving freely. So I took everything apart and used brake clean and new grease and installed back with lock tight on all bolts. NO More raddling.

·
Premium Member
8,501 Posts
Well, Found what was wrong. It was the brake calipers. One of guide pins was not moving freely. So I took everything apart and used brake clean and new grease and installed back with lock tight on all bolts. NO More raddling.
Good deal, glad to hear you got it figured and fixed! (y)

Just curious, what was up with the guide pins? Did they develop surface corrosion and need to be replaced?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts