Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I'm relatively new the to Challenger Talk and was just wondering how many of you are brand loyal? I can say for myself that I grew up in a GM family. My father was a Buick man, one uncle was a Chevy guy, another a Pontiac guy, and most of my close cousins were GM people.

My first new ride was an '86 Monte Carlo LS, 305 V8. Very nice car for it's time. When GM decided to kill the G body cars and go to the FWD platform, Lumina's and such, they lost me as a customer, for a while.

My second new car was a '94 Thunderbird V8 LX. That one was almost fully loaded and was a great car. A few "minor" mods made it really fun to drive. Unfortunately, the best I could do at the track was a 16.01 on the quarter. It was still fun though.

I wanted the Dodge Magnum back in '04, but they were new that year and not dealing. (I wanted the room to load my guitars, amps, and pa.) Instead I got a great deal on a '04 Explorer, but after a year of never quite getting used to the feeling that I was gonna roll the damn thing on its side at every turn, and never actually serving its intended purpose of hauling my music gear, I traded it in for an '05 Monte Carlo LT.

The '05 was loaded but kind of a boring ride. It tracked well in the snow with the FWD, but it was never a "fun to drive" car. Then, good old GM workmanship took over, and stuff started costing too much to fix.

I traded her in for a 2010 Challenger SE and now the fun is back. I'm sure the hemi would've been much more fun, but I'm not really up for the stoplight derby's anymore. Too many opportunities to pay local speeding taxes, er, fines. (Plus some new laws in Illinois make the fines hard to swallow, like $1500 for 30-39 over, and $2500 plus automatic licence suspension for 40 and over...) But I digress...

I guess my loyalty is more on type of vehicle rather than brand. I'm more loyal to the "mid" size rwd 5 passenger coupe. Preferably a domestic brand.

Anyway, this is my first Dodge and she rocks, even as a lowly 250 hp V6. I'm gonna have to bump up the volume on the stereo though. It sounds good but needs more kick. There are a few "driveability" mods I may make in the near future to add to the fun, but that'll have to wait till the weather gets better.

Rock On! :rocker:

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
Why didn't you get a SS Monte. That's what I had before this 06 and it would get it pretty good. Never liked the FWD thing though. I never moded it but then I didn't belong to a place like this that makes you say "that would be neat to have" or "I NEED that" I use to be a Ford guys but I out grew that.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Hey all,

I'm relatively new the to Challenger Talk and was just wondering how many of you are brand loyal? I can say for myself that I grew up in a GM family. My father was a Buick man, one uncle was a Chevy guy, another a Pontiac guy, and most of my close cousins were GM people.

My first new ride was an '86 Monte Carlo LS, 305 V8. Very nice car for it's time. When GM decided to kill the G body cars and go to the FWD platform, Lumina's and such, they lost me as a customer, for a while.

My second new car was a '94 Thunderbird V8 LX. That one was almost fully loaded and was a great car. A few "minor" mods made it really fun to drive. Unfortunately, the best I could do at the track was a 16.01 on the quarter. It was still fun though.

I wanted the Dodge Magnum back in '04, but they were new that year and not dealing. (I wanted the room to load my guitars, amps, and pa.) Instead I got a great deal on a '04 Explorer, but after a year of never quite getting used to the feeling that I was gonna roll the damn thing on its side at every turn, and never actually serving its intended purpose of hauling my music gear, I traded it in for an '05 Monte Carlo LT.

The '05 was loaded but kind of a boring ride. It tracked well in the snow with the FWD, but it was never a "fun to drive" car. Then, good old GM workmanship took over, and stuff started costing too much to fix.

I traded her in for a 2010 Challenger SE and now the fun is back. I'm sure the hemi would've been much more fun, but I'm not really up for the stoplight derby's anymore. Too many opportunities to pay local speeding taxes, er, fines. (Plus some new laws in Illinois make the fines hard to swallow, like $1500 for 30-39 over, and $2500 plus automatic licence suspension for 40 and over...) But I digress...

I guess my loyalty is more on type of vehicle rather than brand. I'm more loyal to the "mid" size rwd 5 passenger coupe. Preferably a domestic brand.

Anyway, this is my first Dodge and she rocks, even as a lowly 250 hp V6. I'm gonna have to bump up the volume on the stereo though. It sounds good but needs more kick. There are a few "driveability" mods I may make in the near future to add to the fun, but that'll have to wait till the weather gets better.

Rock On! :rocker:
Welcome to the forums. This is my 1st non-GM purchase as well. :)

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
I was until I bought the Challenger.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Same here. Brand loyalty applies to some, no doubt. I considered the Camaro first, but the Challenger spoke to me. Mustangs are the best value, but esthetically, they do not appeal to me, and are too common for my satisfaction.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Never been a big loyalist. I'm just a big car guy, I love all different cars for different reasons. Especially love the classics, there's nothing like an old big block chevy or hemi cuda cruising around town!

·
Registered
149 Posts
I grew up in a Chevy family. One of my grandfathers worked at a Chevrolet plant in Cleveland, Ohio and my other grandfather was a salesman at a Chevy dealership. When I first started driving I was in cars (nothing special) but ended up in pick-ups where I stayed (other than adding a plymouth minivan after kids) for 20 years. I grew tired of pick-ups and wanted the "fun" of driving a car, ANY car is more fun to drive than a pick-up IMO. I liked the Monte Carlos, thought the Impala SS' were nice but never pulled the trigger. Then one day I was driving down the street and saw an awesome looking car parked on the side of the road. I turned around to look again and it was a Charger. In '08 I went to the dealership with the intent on leaving with an inferno red R/T but ended up leaving in an HO Daytona. I truly loved it and had no intentions of getting out of it even after the Challengers came out. But, as fate would have it, I ended up driving my Plum Crazy SRT Challenger when my Charger was in for it's free state inspection, I was hooked and 2 days later traded in the Daytona.

I really like where Chrysler is headed with these cars. The Plymouth minivan was a very trouble-free workhorse (and still is for my mother-in-law who hauls her dogs around in it), and I can't say anything bad about my experiences with the Charger and Challenger. I'm the loyal type who, when it's time, will certainly give Ma Mopar first crack when it's time to get another vehicle.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I've never been brand loyal as I've had all 3 makes Ford, GM and Dodge for the last 34 years.The only loyalty I have is for the 3 above mentioned..No imports for me ever.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
l wouldn't consider your SE as lowly. It is after all a Challenger. They're all great.

As for brand loyalty?? As was stated before, some, but for me, I'm a pure gearhead. Had and loved them all. Same with bikes.

·
Premium Member
2,786 Posts
First purchase was a '65 Valiant Barracuda in '79. Took my cue from an Uncle who only bought Mopar. Here's my drive way

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm 55 yrs. old and never owned anything but Ford's or Mercury's. That should tell you how big a home run Dodge hit with the Challenger. Drove 3 2011 Mustang's and still couldn't get the Challenger out of my head. Bought a B-5 Classic R/T and don't regret it a bit.

Barry

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
I'm 55 yrs. old and never owned anything but Ford's or Mercury's. That should tell you how big a home run Dodge hit with the Challenger. Drove 3 2011 Mustang's and still couldn't get the Challenger out of my head. Bought a B-5 Classic R/T and don't regret it a bit.

Barry
I'm about your age. Don't mustangs give you clostrafobia. They did me.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
....brand loyalty has never factored into any of the vehicle purchases I made over the years. I buy what fits my criteria at the time. I'm a car nut and I appreciate a variety of makes/models (import and domestics alike).

·
Registered
177 Posts
I don't know about brand loyalty, I just wanted to own a very unique Italian Muscle Car assembled in Canada. Ciao baby...

·
Banned
557 Posts
I'm a car nut, and love different brands. In my whole 18 years of driving, I've owned 21 different vehicles. Some great, and many that wasn't.

What I find interesting is my first vehicle was a 79 Dodge Aspen. It was dog ugly. Green exterior with green pleather interior. But a 360 police interceptor engine that helped the car get clocked doing 160+. Apparently I've come full circle and now a Dodge owner again with the Challenger. :)

Life took twists and turns from there. A good chunk of GM products found their way in my drive way up until the 2002 Chevy Silverado with the 5.3 that had the infamous piston slap. Then I got crazy and bought an '04 Jeep Wrangler. One of the best vehicles I've owned and it was bullet proof. But after lots of mods it was becoming impracticable to drive on the road as a daily driver and I shopped for another truck. None of the "American" trucks appealed so I ended up with a Nissan Titan crew cab. It was a beast of a truck and I had several other Nissans that were bullet proof. I was driving that up until the point I traded it in on the Challenger.

Strangely enough I've only owned 2 Fords in that time. The first a Splash, just a sporty version of a Ranger, and it had engine problems. Later on a Mustang and while it was mechanically sound, I had other issues with it. So no real blue oval love from me.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts