Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Challenger shaker 392 scat pack.
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
update post 3

What the heck. Has anyone had belt failures on a brand new car? My scat pack is only a few months old, low miles (2k) Today is the first day of school re-opening since this all started and as I’m leaving the house pulling away slow I hear what sounded like a stick dragging under the car followed by loud squealing And a warning about limited power on the dash. Knew right away it was the belt. It’s totally shredded and completely mangled up everywhere leaving me stranded on the very first day of schools return.

Is this a common problem? Is there better belts to choose from? I could throw a belt on myself or should I have it towed to dodge and waste a day for warranty so it can be documented. I called dodge and asked about it, they said I can only tow it to the nearest dealership and they need it will take a week.

So annoyed right now.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have not heard of this being an issue. I'd guess one of the pulleys is out of alignment. Should be covered under warranty and roadside assistance.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Ok found the cause. A giant rat must’ve Been under the hood and jumped as I drove away Getting sucked up causing the belt to detach and shred. There is a huge fresh 5lb looking rat that got decapitated on my skid plate and there’s some blood splatter on a pulley and lower radiator hose

Gross and totally weird/random.

I’ve noticed there’s rat feet print under the hood and inside my shaker. I’m in the city but these lil jerks are everywhere.

you can kinda see it down there.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
19,648 Posts
Wow, do a good inspection of your visible wiring too...very odd happenstance

A Guy

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow, do a good inspection of your visible wiring too...very odd happenstance

A Guy
ya that was the first thing I’m gunna do. I pulled all the shreds out, it started and moved just fine. I moved it several times on the street as my buddy is gunna flat bed it to my shop and I’ll take it up in the air, take the skid plate off and clean out the rat gore and put a new belt on.

what a morning. Wish there was a way to keep these rats out of the engine bay. My Toyota got all eaten up since they use soy based wiring. I’m gunna try that peppermint rat deterrent spray see if that keeps them away.

·
Registered
68 Posts
That'll do it. Make sure it hasn't feasted on the wiring too. Damn rodents.

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
2,388 Posts
yuck, just plain yuck

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack Wide Body
28 Posts
WOW you had me nervous for a minute. I just picked up my new Scat Pack on Saturday. Glad you found the culprit but gross!!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
ya that was the first thing I’m gunna do. I pulled all the shreds out, it started and moved just fine. I moved it several times on the street as my buddy is gunna flat bed it to my shop and I’ll take it up in the air, take the skid plate off and clean out the rat gore and put a new belt on.

what a morning. Wish there was a way to keep these rats out of the engine bay. My Toyota got all eaten up since they use soy based wiring. I’m gunna try that peppermint rat deterrent spray see if that keeps them away.
After I had a rat chew through some injector wiring, the service advisor suggested tying Clorox wipes in various locations in the engine compartment. He said to find some convenient post or cable or hose to attach them to to. The downsides are that it looks tacky and the wipes dry out in the heat (southern California. A rat did the same thing to my wifes Acura and it paid the ultimate price, as did yours.

·
Registered
2018 Billet SXT Plus
57 Posts
Not in my Challenger, but ive had it happen twice
with cats in the winter time. They climb under the hood to keep warm, but never a rat though.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for the heads-up I will keep a better eye on that belt. I just got my 2020 RT Scat Shaker I'm just under 900 miles.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Check your water pump pulley too, hopefully that rat didn't mess up the bearings.

·
Premium Member
2018 Dodge Challenger T/A Plus in Yellow Jacket w/5.7L and A8 automatic
1,479 Posts
Ok found the cause. A giant rat must’ve Been under the hood and jumped as I drove away Getting sucked up causing the belt to detach and shred. There is a huge fresh 5lb looking rat that got decapitated on my skid plate and there’s some blood splatter on a pulley and lower radiator hose

Gross and totally weird/random.

I’ve noticed there’s rat feet print under the hood and inside my shaker. I’m in the city but these lil jerks are everywhere. View attachment 1002456

you can kinda see it down there.
Any “Forensic Files” quality pics of said deceased vermin?

Reactions: JavierA

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
wow that's like a nightmare of mine. I hate parking outside overnights when I visit my mom, hate that there's no garage parking. I've seen squirrels and cats, hopefully they won't bother my car chewing up stuff

·
Registered
2016 Challenger SRT
3,797 Posts
You sure that's not a mutated Covid virus?:eek: I used to have an issue with chipmunks building nests underneath the hood insulation of my '06 Mustang GT. I wouldn't have even known except I kept finding remnants of acorn shells in the engine bay when I opened up the hood. Rodents are a pain.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts