Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So went over a speed bump in a parking lot and noticed the engine light. Dealership was closed but my local mechanic read the code.. P2097 and p2099

Less than 900 miles on it

·
Banned
5,786 Posts
Problems usually occur fairly early, as the car was just built and doesn't have many miles. Don't stress, get it to the dealer and get it taken car of, then enjoy!!

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
All it means is the Check Engine Light is working :D

·
Premium Member
10,024 Posts
So went over a speed bump in a parking lot and noticed the engine light. Dealership was closed but my local mechanic read the code.. P2097 and p2099

Hope it's a quick and uninvolved repair, good luck.

·
Premium Member
1,721 Posts

The dealer can inspect and diagnosis the check engine light issue. Be sure to let us know what the dealer finds.

·
Premium Member
5,645 Posts
I got one on my RT for...

not sealing the gas cap properly. If the the gas cap is not twisted in proplerly, you will get a check engine light that WILL NOT GO OUT UNTIL the dealer resets it.

·
Premium Member
10,024 Posts
not sealing the gas cap properly. If the the gas cap is not twisted in proplerly, you will get a check engine light that WILL NOT GO OUT UNTIL the dealer resets it.
That's interesting as all my current vehicles will reset after the cap is installed correctly and driven a certain time or mileage interval.

·
Premium Member
5,645 Posts
Mine

didn't. maybe those computers are "finicky."

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So... Turns out the cause of the check engine light was my AFE stage II CAI.

Dealer said to take it off and put the stock one back on. I agreed, thinking it was a typical dealer tactic but he was right. Light went out and has not come back on all week.

I know several SRT owners running the AFE.. So my thought is either
a. I did not install it correctly. Even though there is only one way to do it.
b. Something changed from 2013-2014 (I had to buy the 2013 model AFE thinking nothing changed)
c. the AFE was simply defective

The only thing I can think of is that the IAT sensor was very lose on the AFE. It also would not push down in nearly as far as it did in the stock air tube. I tried several things to get it down but it just wouldn't go. Perhaps that was causing the issue. Also the car whined like it had a supercharger on at about 10% throttle with the AFE. It sounded like it was sucking air in from places it should be sucking air in. But I also read that was normal for this CAI.

Could a misreading IAT sensor cause fuel trim issues?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Engine light on twice in 2 weeks...800 miles on car

Not trying to interfere with your thread....
Just wanted to jump in with a engine light problem as well. 2014 Core SRT8 ... first light came on at 700 miles. Dealer checked code and it showed a " single cylinder misfire" but everything checked out OK and they re-set the light and sent me on my way.

100 miles later ( today ) light is on again. Dropped of the car at the dealer and just got the call that it has a air leak and they need to do a " smoke test " to find it. Need the car to stay untill tomorrow at the least.

Needless to say my wife and I are not happy with our 40K new car with under 850 miles in the dealer twice already for two different problems. We hope this is not the start of a path to constant problems with the car.

It certainly is not the way we wanted our first 3 weeks of SRT8 ownership to begin.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just wanted to jump in with a engine light problem as well. 2014 Core SRT8 ... first light came on at 700 miles. Dealer checked code and it showed a " single cylinder misfire" but everything checked out OK and they re-set the light and sent me on my way.

100 miles later ( today ) light is on again. Dropped of the car at the dealer and just got the call that it has a air leak and they need to do a " smoke test " to find it. Need the car to stay untill tomorrow at the least.

Needless to say my wife and I are not happy with our 40K new car with under 850 miles in the dealer twice already for two different problems. We hope this is not the start of a path to constant problems with the car.

It certainly is not the way we wanted our first 3 weeks of SRT8 ownership to begin.
Interesting...
6sp or Auto?

·
Registered
94 Posts
A "smoke test" is usually done to find a vacuum leak in the evaporative emissions system ( on board computer and air pump create a small vacuum to test for leaking fuel vapors ). I've been told these leak codes are fairly common on all makes and models and nothing very serious at all.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Had my car since Oct. and have had 2 MIL lights on. I have 411 miles on her. 1st time it showed PO300,PO307. Misfire codes. Had it reset no problems found. 2nd time is just a PO300. I haven't brought it in to clear the code. I want to see if the monitors will clear it in 3 trips. I attribute part of this to the lack of driving but we'll see. It's due for an oil change by time so I'll give it a week or so and bring it in then. I hope the code clears itself by then. By the way a Smoke test is very useful in finding intake or vacuum type leaks. I've been doing that for years. Keep you posted.

·
Banned
5,786 Posts
One rule in troubleshooting. Always undo what you just did that caused a change in status. In your original thread, you never mentioned that all was good until you added a CAI.

Glad you got it taken care of...

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
So... Turns out the cause of the check engine light was my AFE stage II CAI.

Dealer said to take it off and put the stock one back on. I agreed, thinking it was a typical dealer tactic but he was right. Light went out and has not come back on all week.

I know several SRT owners running the AFE.. So my thought is either
a. I did not install it correctly. Even though there is only one way to do it.
b. Something changed from 2013-2014 (I had to buy the 2013 model AFE thinking nothing changed)
c. the AFE was simply defective

The only thing I can think of is that the IAT sensor was very lose on the AFE. It also would not push down in nearly as far as it did in the stock air tube. I tried several things to get it down but it just wouldn't go. Perhaps that was causing the issue. Also the car whined like it had a supercharger on at about 10% throttle with the AFE. It sounded like it was sucking air in from places it should be sucking air in. But I also read that was normal for this CAI.

Could a misreading IAT sensor cause fuel trim issues?
An easy way to seat that IAT sensor is to try to install it as best you can, go drive the car until the motor gets hot, let the heat soak into the top end, when all that intake rubber and plastic has heated up well, you will be able to seat that IAT sensor much easier. I also put a LITTLE WD-40 on my fingers and lube up the sensor housing and the rubber to help it slide in too. Good luck.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
One rule in troubleshooting. Always undo what you just did that caused a change in status. In your original thread, you never mentioned that all was good until you added a CAI.

Glad you got it taken care of...

Roost,

I didnt think about it really. I had added the CAI 3 days before so it didnt register that it might be the cause. In particular I would have thought to get a IAT sensor error code or something.. so the nature of the code being rear 02 trim was a strange one with relation to the CAI.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
An easy way to seat that IAT sensor is to try to install it as best you can, go drive the car until the motor gets hot, let the heat soak into the top end, when all that intake rubber and plastic has heated up well, you will be able to seat that IAT sensor much easier. I also put a LITTLE WD-40 on my fingers and lube up the sensor housing and the rubber to help it slide in too. Good luck.
I actually tried this and also used just a little dab of Belray high quality greese in the grommet.. that sucker still would not budge. I found an older thread on a afe 6.1 install that said they actually had to drill the hole out a little to get it to fit. :indifferent:

·
Premium Member
1,721 Posts

I am sorry to hear your new vehicle is experiencing another check engine light issue. Please let us know the outcome and PM me if you need further assistance.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts