Dodge Challenger Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
yup its right up there with white spoked wagon wheels on a 4x4 imo. Maybe not quite that bad but close. great for the wheel makers though a quick pc coating and baking and sell them for the same as they would if they had to do the much more expensive chrome coating.

·
Registered
2020 F8 Scat Pack 392 6 Speed Stick
112 Posts
Hi again,

One reason for the lack of Chrome in today's cars is the EPA regulations, makes it costly and not many places want those chemicals in their backyard.

At least white is a contrast to the black tire, even if they left a gray ring on the black rims I think it would help as my wife's Jeep is that way and it doesn't bother me as much as the all black offerings on the Challenger.

Either way get what you like when someone else foots the bill then let them decide.

Regards,
Jim

·
Super Moderator
16,082 Posts
dont know why the hate for chrome. back in the 70s most of us had cragars on our cars before they had 5k on them. Challenger is suppose to look old school and even the factory rims back then had chrome rings. Black is fine on a mustang or camaro. They dont look old school anymore either. Or on some turbo rice rocket but the only black wheels on challengers back in the day were someones beat up rims they spray painted and even then seldom black or gold. Only challenger i ever saw that looked good to my eyes with those brass monkeys is a f8 hell cat wide body just like the picture above. Purple? Chrome all the way.
I think the black wheel thing arose from the import / tuner crowd - often they buy older cars and do all the typical things and buy used aftermarket wheels.

Often they're not in great shape or might be unusual colors (seen a lot of all-red ones, or gold or whatever was popular in the past) - so they get rattled canned in flat black (everything goes with black wheels, right??)

The younger crowd (< 35) goes for that "look". Just the same way they thing the yellow splitter guards look "cool". Really? don't get that either...

I reminds me of when you see restored classics - and for whatever reason (keeping it OEM) you frequently see color matched steel wheels with dog dish wheel covers (aka: poverty caps). There were a lot of OEM choices for either wheel covers, rallye wheels, or the road wheels (Mopar magnum 500s)

Nobody kept that look - the only things that had that look were pickup trucks. Or they went after market with Cragar style S/S, slotted aluminum mags or Centerlines.

Plain steel wheel were "rollers" that everyone got rid of for something more stylish.

One of things I was pleased (see image) is the standard wheels on my 392 Shaker were machined faces w/ black pockets). The only other optional wheel was the WRT which was a dark painted finish - and I didn't want them.
Didn't have to pay extra for the style of wheel that I preferred

00a62095a5279c0b4bb0e44bd7c3be34.JPG

·
Super Moderator
16,082 Posts
Hi again,

One reason for the lack of Chrome in today's cars is the EPA regulations, makes it costly and not many places want those chemicals in their backyard.

At least white is a contrast to the black tire, even if they left a gray ring on the black rims I think it would help as my wife's Jeep is that way and it doesn't bother me as much as the all black offerings on the Challenger.

Either way get what you like when someone else foots the bill then let them decide.

Regards,
Jim
the other matter is you can't reliably chrome plate over aluminum. The plating flakes off.

so its either PVD finishes or polished / machined aluminum.

Since alloy wheels are lighter than steel, in performance cars you're not likely to see steel wheels used for modern production vehicles.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,037 Posts
I love, love, love black wheels :) I had black Enkei wheels with 3 prong chrome "spinners" with Trans Am stickers on the end (also seen on my chrome wheels pictured) when the chrome kept peeling, and the wheel place offered me something different

Similar to these

This was early 80's. I was into black out back then too

To each his own, I don't hate any wheels :D

A Guy

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I'm leaning towards Hellcat Replica HR-70, black pockets w/machined face so that I can get 10.5" width to run 305 or 315 tires. I'm not 100% sure I'd like the Brass Monkey after searching for pics (the wife hates them too) and at 9.5" wide it limits me a bit on upsizing tires.
HR-70.jpg

·
Registered
57 Posts
I would love to have a set to Devil's rims in this color for my Indigo blue. I think it looks good in the mockup on the dodge website.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,037 Posts
Factory Reproductions have the FR74 in Bronze 9.5" and 10.5"

Also the FR70 9.5" and 10.5"

FR73 9.5" and 10.5"

FR77 9.5" and 11"

A Guy

·
Registered
57 Posts
THe FR74 in bronze at $960 for a set isn't bad. Get the OEM center caps and most people would probably never know.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts