Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't see any details about the break in period for my R/T. Can anyone give me the details or tell me where to find it?

·
Banned
7,159 Posts
Guessing the manual is going to say stay out of full throttle for 500 miles, do not set the cruise control, always move up and down the rpm range.

Me? As soon as it is up to operating temp, drive it like you stole it.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Me? As soon as it is up to operating temp, drive it like you stole it.[/QUOTE]

Ditto.... Ive ALWAYS romped the shiznit out of vehicles from day one. My Challenger was no acception. Others will cringe and complain about doing that, but my philosophy is if its gonna break, then its gonna break... They are fillled with full syn oil and run in at the factory. Thats all they need.:browsmiley:

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Guessing the manual is going to say stay out of full throttle for 500 miles, do not set the cruise control, always move up and down the rpm range.

Lol I'll take option #1 and wait for the 500 for option #2. ;)

To the OP good question i was going to ask if it was 500 or 1000 when I went to pick up the car.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
its in the owners manual. you can download it online

ENGINE BREAK-IN RECOMMENDATIONS
A long break-in period is not required for the drivetrain
(engine, transmission, clutch, and rear axle) in your new
vehicle.
Drive moderately during the first 500 mi (800 km). After
the initial 60 mi (100 km), speeds up to 50 or 55 mph (80
or 90 km/h) are desirable.
While cruising, brief full-throttle acceleration within the
limits of local traffic laws contributes to a good break-in.
However, wide-open throttle acceleration in low gear can
be detrimental and should be avoided.

·
Administrator
17,155 Posts
Ditto the foregoing posts. Drive it like you stole it!

·
Super Moderator
16,216 Posts
Ditto.... They are fillled with full syn oil and run in at the factory. Thats all they need.:browsmiley:[/QUOTE]

But...only the SRT8's are syn oil...all other engines 3.5, 5.7 are conventional oil as factory fill.

·
Banned
804 Posts
I run my motors hard from the minute the break in oil is dumped......thats about 10 miles.....just enough to get the crap out of the motor and a few heat cycles.

Running them hard early will seat the rings better than babying the motor.

·
Registered
630 Posts
its in the owners manual. you can download it online

ENGINE BREAK-IN RECOMMENDATIONS
A long break-in period is not required for the drivetrain
(engine, transmission, clutch, and rear axle) in your new
vehicle.
Drive moderately during the first 500 mi (800 km). After
the initial 60 mi (100 km), speeds up to 50 or 55 mph (80
or 90 km/h) are desirable.

Guess I blew that one. I haven't hotted rodded it, but I drove it home from the dealer on the interstate. It had about 50 miles on it when I left Omaha. Probably drove up to 70 miles per hour, but it really isn't turning a lot of rpms at that speed.....

·
Super Moderator
14,216 Posts
I followed the owner's manual regarding break-in. The issue is not the engine, but the drivetrain. I also changed the oil after 1,500 miles to get rid of any engine debris not caught by the oil filter.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Interesting thread, for people who would baby sit their cars and wax them and what not I am surprised to see that some do not care so much about their engines...

I am a bit old school I guess, but for me the break in period would be most important.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Ditto again,
Had mine up to the rev-limit many times right out of the shoot,
Not burning oil, not smoking, no noise, no leaks, runs great,

Only problem, fuzzy dice interferrng with mirror light sensor, repositioned same, vehicle returned to ready-line for action,

Your results may vary,
:smoker:

·
Registered
630 Posts
If the owner's manual recommends keeping it under 55 mph for the first 500 miles, the dealer should pass this information on to the customer. I knew to take it easy, but that car can't be turning very many rpms at 70 mph with an automatic. It didn't occur to me that I should go 55 or less. For guys with a 6-speed, there should be a recommended rpm that should not be exceeded when shifting. The dealer should tell the owner.

When I bought a Harley new, the dealer walked through the break-in instructions with me before I left.

·
Banned
804 Posts
Interesting thread, for people who would baby sit their cars and wax them and what not I am surprised to see that some do not care so much about their engines...

I am a bit old school I guess, but for me the break in period would be most important.
Break in is a matter of opinion and who you talk to.....the owners manual is going to tell you to baby it.....then again the manufacturer will never tell you to drive the car hard as long as it's in warranty. And these are not like older motors with flat tappet cams and loose tolerances on the bearings and pistons.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Break in is a matter of opinion and who you talk to.....the owners manual is going to tell you to baby it.....then again the manufacturer will never tell you to drive the car hard as long as it's in warranty. And these are not like older motors with flat tappet cams and loose tolerances on the bearings and pistons.
Then why do you have to change the oil after the break-in?

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
My speedo read 105 at one point on the ride home from the dealer. I'm not scared. :D

·
Registered
9,674 Posts
Some of you guys might be suprised how "hard" a new car, or Harley, are "tested" at the factory before shipment, to the hold lot, and to the "shipper".

I've seen this at the Harley plant, GM and Ford plants.

The motor has seen some rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr's.

General "instructions".............................if they're going to break, let's find out before it hits the dealerships.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Same here. It's an expensive car. Not taking any chances. I did wax it already with Meguires Gold Class. I like your Avatar devnull. Wish my department would get those.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts