Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Read manual could not find break in procedure for 5.7 with auto. Is it a supplement I am missing?

·
Super Moderator
17,240 Posts
This is usually under the section: Things to Know Before Starting Your Vehicle [from my 2016 Owner's Manual]

ENGINE BREAK-IN RECOMMENDATIONS For vehicles equipped with the 3.6L or 5.7L use the following engine break-in recommendations: A long break-in period is not required for the drivetrain (engine, transmission, clutch, and rear axle) in your new vehicle. Drive moderately during the first 300 mi (500 km). After the initial 60 mi (100 km), speeds up to 50 or 55 mph (80 or 90 km/h) are desirable

While cruising, brief full-throttle acceleration within the limits of local traffic laws contributes to a good break-in. However, wide-open throttle acceleration in low gear can be detrimental and should be avoided. The engine oil, transmission fluid, and axle lubricant installed at the factory is high-quality and energyconserving. Oil, fluid, and lubricant changes should be consistent with anticipated climate and conditions under which vehicle operations will occur. For the recommended viscosity and quality grades, refer to “Maintenance Procedures” in “Maintaining Your Vehicle”.

NOTE: A new engine may consume some oil during its first few thousand miles (kilometers) of operation. This should be considered a normal part of the break-in and not interpreted as an indication of difficulty. Please check your oil level with the engine oil indicator often during the break in period. Add oil as required.

·
Super Moderator
17,240 Posts
The 6.4 (392) and 6.2 Hellcat engines have additional break-in intervals / recommendations beyond the brief recommendations for the 3.6 V6 and 5.7 V8s

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks was expecting more Arent these challengers timing retarded a bit till you hit 3750 miles then its full open? My 2016 Challenger 5.7 was.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,738 Posts

A Guy

Attachments

Reactions: 1973Cuda

·
Premium Member
3,130 Posts
3750 miles I think is a myth....

Reactions: A Guy

·
Premium Member
2021 JEEP Wrangler Unlimited Willys 4X4
2,183 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,738 Posts
I was showing Midblues where it was in the manual smart guy ;)

A Guy

·
Super Moderator
17,240 Posts
the page numbering changes around year to year - in the '16 manual that information starts at page 95

so I just copied the verbiage and pasted it

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,209 Posts
Thanks was expecting more Arent these challengers timing retarded a bit till you hit 3750 miles then its full open? My 2016 Challenger 5.7 was.
Retarded timing is the last thing a factory would dial in for a new engine. Retarded ignition timing other than to avoid detonation is bad.

Retarded timing raises exhaust gas temperature and subjects all the is in contact with the exhaust gas to elevated temperature. To avoid detonation this is an acceptable trade off. Besides, the timing is not retarded that much. Even in this situation it is still quiet advanced.

To use ignition retard to muzzle the engine during break in would have the timing retarded much more often.

There may be be exceptions there always is but generally an automaker does not limit the engine's output. This is a safety issue. If the driver demands 100% torque -- at any time -- he should get it. It is impossible for the factory to be a distant nanny and say no no no you do not need all that power right now. Wait until after break in.

My advice is to follow the break in guide lines. If it is not forbidden by the owners manual my advice and I follow this myself is to change the oil early. New engines load the oil with contaminants and particulant matter. The filter captures the particulant matter but under high oil pressure situations can allow the filter to be bypassed which risks letting all the debris captured in the filter housing flow through the engine.

With my Hellcat I changed the oil at around 500 miles, again at 2K miles, then again a 5K miles and every 5K miles thereafter -- ignoring the one time I had the oil changed on time because I did not put 5K miles on the oil before 6 months' time elapsed.

·
Super Moderator
17,240 Posts
there had been some noted in WiTech system that total VVT timing was restricted (5.7) during those initial miles and then would go to full VVT (-18* / =18*) cam excursion

Don't know if that's still the case and if so, the 392 and Hellcat 6.2 use the same VVT setup

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I know my 2016 5.7 6 sp manual did it and at 3750 miles you felt the engine open up.I felt it as soon as I drove it.

·
Premium Member
2021 JEEP Wrangler Unlimited Willys 4X4
2,183 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,738 Posts

A Guy

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
there had been some noted in WiTech system that total VVT timing was restricted (5.7) during those initial miles and then would go to full VVT (-18* / =18*) cam excursion

Don't know if that's still the case and if so, the 392 and Hellcat 6.2 use the same VVT setup
With other cars that have some kind of variable valve timing and even variable intake valve lift I never came across anything that suggested this feature was somehow restricted or limited during break in.

But it is possible that to avoid subjecting the valve train -- mainly cam lobes and lifters -- to the risk of damage during break in -- during which time the cam lobe and lifter interfaces develop a surface finish that is conducive to a long and trouble free service life -- the full adjustment may be restricted for a while. This is not to reduce engine output although it might have that effect perhaps, at least a bit, but to avoid the risk of wear and tear during break in.

·
Registered
2021 RT 5.7 M6 TORED
115 Posts
Waiting for my RT shaker
It’s 120 miles away
What strategy do you suggest for the trip home??
I know to avoid constant speed.
So do a lot of short acceleration 35-60mph during the trip? Pray other drivers will be patient with me

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Waiting for my RT shaker
It’s 120 miles away
What strategy do you suggest for the trip home??
I know to avoid constant speed.
So do a lot of short acceleration 35-60mph during the trip? Pray other drivers will be patient with me
Actually when I bought a new MNI JCW and from 90 miles away I drove the freeway home.

I used the manual transmission to vary engine RPMs while keeping the speed not too far under the posted limit. I didn't want to be a road boulder. There was also enough traffic/congestion my vehicle speed ended up changing anyhow.

If your car has an automatic you get put it into manual mode -- provided this is not forbidden in the owners manual during break in -- to vary engine RPMs while maintaining a speed that is reasonable.

Keep in mind the max speed wants to IIRC stay fairly low for I think the diff to avoid subjecting it to too high of an operating temperature.

Back roads were possible but it was late and I was tired and wanted to get home.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts