Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:browsmiley: I have never had a manual that says (pg.77) "While cruising,brief full-throttle acceleration within the limits of local traffic laws contributes to a gook break-in."
My Older brother always told me.....break em in hard if you want them to be fast. So is that True???:icon_confused:

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
I was always told to drive it like I stole it. 5 year 100k, if u blow it up, dodge pays for it, right?

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
Yeah, they also say to avoid "wide open throttle" - what is the difference from "full throttle"?

·
Registered
353 Posts
I guess I need to read my manual. I pampered mine on the drive home today from the dealer

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Yeah, they also say to avoid "wide open throttle" - what is the difference from "full throttle"?
"Oxymorons" for $100 please Alex:)

·
Premium Member
1,722 Posts
With liability these days, maybe that is the politically correct way to say drive it like you stole it.

:browsmiley: I have never had a manual that says (pg.77) "While cruising,brief full-throttle acceleration within the limits of local traffic laws contributes to a gook break-in."
My Older brother always told me.....break em in hard if you want them to be fast. So is that True???:icon_confused:

·
Registered
653 Posts
I wish I had stolen mine instead of forking out 55k.....
Trying to keep mine soft until about 300 miles to maybe the 500 mile oil change.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I'm keeping mine soft under 4k RPM until 500 miles.

There are numerous debates on if you should do a break in or not, not just on here but all over the internet.

I'm of the opinion that break ins should be done for the main reason of properly seating piston rings. Just because an engine won't blow up if you beat on it the first 500 miles doesn't mean that it won't start burning oil and smoking at say 75k miles instead of 150k miles from an improper break in. :)

Like I've said though you can google it and find billions of reasons for or against. I'd rather play it safe with my 50k car and baby it for 2 months than to regret the moment for years to come. :D

·
Premium Member
1,722 Posts
I am going to drive it like a banshee and when the motor blows up or smokes or rattles or what ever. I will be able to tell my wife that dropping in a crate 426 is cheaper than a new car. LOL

·
Registered
98 Posts
Your brother is correct!

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Can somebody lease explain the science behind the logic "break em in hard if you want them to be fast"?

I'm guessing there isn't much science involved in that. :D

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
And break them in easy if you want to enjoy them for a long time...your choice. After your warranty ends...it's your problem, not theirs.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Break it...I mean in.

Page 77:

"While Cruising, brief full-throttle acceleration within the limits of local traffic laws contributes to a good break-in. However, wide-open throttle acceleration in low gear can be detrimental and should be avoided."

Who would ever use wide-open throttle in low gear? :burnout: :naughty:

·
Registered
98 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
It appears they are saying to gun-it only while cruising....not from a standstill.
In other words: 'ok from a roll, but not from a dig'.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Break In Secrets--How To Break In New Motorcycle and Car Engines For More Power

Also, you do not want a ridge that sits too low because the engine saw no high RPMs, do this and the day you decide to stretch the rods, the rings will hit the ridge and break!
As I mentioned earlier there's a bazillion different answers to that question. Engineers at GM, Ford, and Honda all say something different.

Car & Engine Performance - Technologue Editorial - Motor Trend

Pretty much it's driver's choice. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts