Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2012 RT - 426 - 630HP/606TQ
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Brembo 4 –piston SRT8 brakes on RT – No Spindles Required

Knowing I would need more stopping power on my R/T, I picked up a set of used SRT8 brakes and rotors off eBay for $300. They came with the brakes lines but needed a rebuild. Rotors were ok but bought new pads, slotted rotors and a caliper rebuild kits for a little over $400.

Looking for any install tips I searched he forums and found that the consensus was that I needed SRT8 front and rear knuckles to install. Problem – new they are $700 each and used I found them for roughly $350 each. So that’s another $1,400-$2,800. Yikes!!!

Ok, if I have to but let me look it over. So it turns out that the front calipers bolt up– issue is rotor dimension and spacing– they needed approximately .125-radius reduction and .250 spacer. Checked the pad sweep and guess what– it’s 14 inches– so I turned the rotor OD down to 14 inches and added machined a .250 spacer and, viola, bolt-on.

The rears are more work. The rotor bolts on- no machining required. The rear dust shield needs minor trimming. The caliper bolt pattern is different and needs an adapter. I trimmed the dust shield and made a.500 adapter and again- bolt-on.

Bottom line, total cost (minus my labor and machining) $700 and no knuckles required.

·
Registered
‘74 Duster 360 4M
656 Posts
Pictures?

I like your fix for the front, but for the rear I would have just swapped the BR9 rear calipers and rotors on. It's all bolt on and shouldn't give up any braking to the 4-piston Brembos.

Wonder if there is a bolt on rotor that would have fixed the spacing? Doubt it, but who knows.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pictures?

I like your fix for the front, but for the rear I would have just swapped the BR9 rear calipers and rotors on. It's all bolt on and shouldn't give up any braking to the 4 piston Brembo's.

Wonder if there is a bolt on rotor that would have fixed the spacing. Doubt it but who knows.
Not familiar with BR9 rear calipers. I decided to make the rear adapters since I had the rear caliper and rotors. Tell you what though, the stopping power is definitely worth the effort. Had Dodge used the same spindles (knuckles) across the board it sure would have made all this super easy. The cost of doing a big brake kit has become ridiculous and with all the used Brembo brakes out there, this is the only thing that made financial sense to me.

·
Registered
‘74 Duster 360 4M
656 Posts
Not familiar with BR9 rear calipers. I decided to make the rear adapters since I had the rear caliper and rotors. Tell you what though, the stopping power is definitely worth the effort. Had Dodge used the same spindles (knuckles) across the board it sure would have made all this super easy. The cost of doing a big brake kit has become ridiculous and with all the used Brembo brakes out there, this is the only thing that made financial sense to me.
The BR9 package is the Police Pursuit brakes that came on the cop cars after mid 2014 or so. They are a 14.5" front rotor with a a big cast iron 2 piston floating caliper and a 13.8" rear rotor with the a different cast iron 2 piston floating caliper. Based on theoretical calculations, the front BR9 brakes should actually be a little stronger than the 4 piston Brembo setup, but not as strong as the 6 piston Brembo setup. The problem is that the calipers are fairly difficult to source and you have to be careful since most parts houses don't realize they are different so getting the wrong ones is common. And they lose the advantages of a fixed caliper both in function and looks.

Here is a thread that might be of interest. At the end there are some comparison between the STP BR6, BR9 and 4 piston Brembo setups.

I was going to do the BR9 swap on my Challenger just because it was all a bolt on and I could kind of hide the fact that they were bigger because the calipers are still a floating design. Even planned to paint the caliper flat black and the abutment silver like the stock BR6 setup was. But then I sold the car.

If someone wanted to follow in your footsteps but didn't have access to equipment to machine the spacers and rotors, they could possibly spec a custom rotor from Wilwood or maybe Baer? It would be more expensive, but could be a bolt on. Not absolutely certain, but looks like a 1.25" x 14" rotor with an overall height around 2.05" might work? Based on what I can find on Wilwood's website prices with a hat and rotor would be close to $500 each. Certainly not saving any money when compared to just buying the SP/SRT spindles and those would also give extra room for a wider tire, so not sure why someone would go that route. But maybe an option for someone that just wants to bolt a BBK on without swapping spindles and doesn't want to spend $2400+ on an aftermarket kit.

Not knocking your decisions Hemi Machinist, just tossing out ideas for someone that might want to look at this.

Reactions: SpeedShift

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The BR9 package is the Police Pursuit brakes that came on the cop cars after mid 2014 or so. They are a 14.5" front rotor with a a big cast iron 2 piston floating caliper and a 13.8" rear rotor with the a different cast iron 2 piston floating caliper. Based on theoretical calculations, the front BR9 brakes should actually be a little stronger than the 4 piston Brembo setup, but not as strong as the 6 piston Brembo setup. The problem is that the calipers are fairly difficult to source and you have to be careful since most parts houses don't realize they are different so getting the wrong ones is common. And they lose the advantages of a fixed caliper both in function and looks.

Here is a thread that might be of interest. At the end there are some comparison between the STP BR6, BR9 and 4 piston Brembo setups.

I was going to do the BR9 swap on my Challenger just because it was all a bolt on and I could kind of hide the fact that they were bigger because the calipers are still a floating design. Even planned to paint the caliper flat black and the abutment silver like the stock BR6 setup was. But then I sold the car.

If someone wanted to follow in your footsteps but didn't have access to equipment to machine the spacers and rotors, they could possibly spec a custom rotor from Wilwood or maybe Baer? It would be more expensive, but could be a bolt on. Not absolutely certain, but looks like a 1.25" x 14" rotor with an overall height around 2.05" might work? Based on what I can find on Wilwood's website prices with a hat and rotor would be close to $500 each. Certainly not saving any money when compared to just buying the SP/SRT spindles and those would also give extra room for a wider tire, so not sure why someone would go that route. But maybe an option for someone that just wants to bolt a BBK on without swapping spindles and doesn't want to spend $2400+ on an aftermarket kit.

Not knocking your decisions Hemi Machinist, just tossing out ideas for someone that might want to look at this.
Sounds pretty good and certainly better than spindles but in the end it's more cash and still floating calipers of which I detest. Any good job shop can reduce the rotor dial on the fronts - less than hour worth of shop cost. The rear bracket is easy for a shop because it basically is "clocking" four holes about the centerline. I would post a cad drawing on the rear adapter but want no liability. If someone is interested I'll snap a photo next time it's on the rack.

·
Registered
‘74 Duster 360 4M
656 Posts
The rear bracket is easy for a shop because it basically is "clocking" four holes about the centerline. I would post a cad drawing on the rear adapter but want no liability.
I understand that. I built my own caliper adapters to put 13" brakes on the front of my Duster and have hesitations with sharing my drawing. I will admit I have shared it with one person, but with caveats.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Brembo 4 –piston SRT8 brakes on RT – No Spindles Required

Knowing I would need more stopping power on my RT I picked up a set of used SRT8 brakes and rotors off eBay for $300. They came with the brakes lines but needed a rebuild. Rotors were ok but bought new pads, slotted rotors and a caliper rebuild kits for a little over $400.

Looking for any install tips I searched he forums and found that the consensus was that I needed SRT8 front and rear knuckles to install. Problem – new they are $700 each and used I found them for roughly $350 each. So that’s another $1400-$2800. Yikes !!!

Ok, if I have to but let me kook it over. So it turns out that the front calipers bolt up – issue is rotor dimension and spacing – they needed approximately .125-radius reduction and .250 spacer. Checked the pad sweep and guess what – it’s 14 inches – so I turned the rotor OD down to 14 inches and added machined a .250 spacer and viola – bolt-on.

The rears are more work. The rotor bolts on no machining required. The rear dust shield needs minor trimming. The caliper bolt pattern is different and needs an adapter. I trimmed the dust shield and made a.500 adapter and again- bolt-on.

Bottom line, total cost (minus my labor and machining) $700 and no knuckles required

could I give you a call? I want more info! Want to make sure I’m doing this correctly

·
Premium Member
2017 T/A 5.7
138 Posts
I have a 5.7 T/A with the w/o Brembos. I was thinking that I needed some kind of upgrade based on my poor panic stop performance. Then I changed my tires. I had the a/s Goodyer Eagles and switched to Pirelli P Zero summer tires wow! I'm happy with the brakes now. The money I saved on brake upgrades can go towards buying tires more often with the soft compound used.

·
Registered
8 Posts
What’s up y’all!!! I started my own DIY BBK because of this thread and it’s up there in one of my best mods. Way easier than ppl make it out to be.
NO SPINDLES REQUIRED.
I purchased a used front set of 4 piston brembos (2005-2014) for $200. I machine the rotor down from 14.3 to 13.9 (14.0 was BARELY making contact with the brake shims.) paid a machine shop $60.

Total came out to $260. $200 used brembos and $60 to machine the rotors. (Brought another set of rotors to the machine shop and he charged me $20)

added two washers on where the spindle/knuckle makes contact with the caliper (to center them perfectly with the rotor). Brembo Caliper bolts up exactly where the STOCK RT calipers would bolt up. Same brake line fitting.
VOILA!!!! See photos for the 4 piston brembos on a 5.7 RT Charger WITHOUT SPINDLES / KNUCKLES
B5B2C0CF-4933-41CE-B581-FECF6245CB95.jpeg

D9624E4C-55E1-4D8A-B558-CDFD946C9148.jpeg

04305E15-EFC8-4D1D-8CD4-E2EDC99DB88B.jpeg

·
Registered
822 Posts
This BR9 "Police Package" brakes sound like a great upgrade for an R/T.

So, just to be clear, is the BR9 a complete bolt on affair?
No spacers, No machining, No monkeying around?
Just buy BR9 calipers, pads and rotors?
Does this create any wheel fitment/interference issues after the fact?

Also, does anyone know if the brake master cylinder is the same? What about ABS tuning?

·
Registered
8 Posts

Also, does anyone know if the brake master cylinder is the same? What about ABS tuning?
I looked into the BR9 and this route requires far less money, time, and parts. Literally used kit. Machined the rotor. Palaces two washers to space the caliper and voila

·
Registered
‘74 Duster 360 4M
656 Posts

Mopar used to sell the front brake kit themselves. No mention of needing a different MC or ABS tuning. Now there were disclaimers that it was for BR6 equipped cars only, maybe that is related to ABS tuning? But the MC is the same across the cars as far as I remember.

I know of a bunch of Chargers running full BR9 setups and no one I know of has complained about issues with the MC or ABS tuning.

Completely bolt on, no spacers or machining. The cop cars use 18” wheels, so as long as you aren’t running 17’s, shouldn’t even have an issue with that.

I looked into the BR9 and this route requires far less money, time, and parts. Literally used kit. Machined the rotor. Palaces two washers to space the caliper and voila
Not sure that the calipers are cheaper. I had maybe $150 in my used BR9 calipers and it was both front and back, including shipping.

Rotors are more money, no argument there. Not sure if they are $60 more, don’t remember. Could be they are not much more than what you had in yours after machining.

The BR9 has a different dust shield, but they are like $10 each. But it does require different front hoses so that adds to the cost where your setup used the existing hoses. One of the BR9 hoses was harder to source when I bought mine, I think all told both hoses were like $120.

So, maybe all told your kit was cheaper.

Thing I hate about machining a rotor is, you can’t just go buy another one and bolt it on. Long weekend at the road course several states away and cracked one of those rotors? Plan on spending a couple of extra days looking for and getting a rotor turned down again so you can drive home. Not knocking the idea, I just hate to have to modify wear parts to get them to fit, because it means I will have to do it every time I have to replace the part.

Reactions: SpeedShift

·
Registered
8 Posts
Not sure that the calipers are cheaper. I had maybe $150 in my used BR9 calipers and it was both front and back, including shipping.

Rotors are more money, no argument there. Not sure if they are $60 more, don’t remember. Could be they are not much more than what you had in yours after machining.

The BR9 has a different dust shield, but they are like $10 each. But it does require different front hoses so that adds to the cost where your setup used the existing hoses. One of the BR9 hoses was harder to source when I bought mine, I think all told both hoses were like $120.

So, maybe all told your kit was cheaper.

Thing I hate about machining a rotor is, you can’t just go buy another one and bolt it on. Long weekend at the road course several states away and cracked one of those rotors? Plan on spending a couple of extra days looking for and getting a rotor turned down again so you can drive home. Not knocking the idea, I just hate to have to modify wear parts to get them to fit, because it means I will have to do it every time I have to replace the part.
You’re right. I have a set of rotors on standby. I purchased power stop. For $160. Machine them down. The machine shop charging me $20-40 now because this would be my 3rd visit. I don’t know much about the BR9. Is that a dual piston like the OEM RT ones?

·
Registered
‘74 Duster 360 4M
656 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
They are.
Like I said I don’t know anything in the br9 but these brembos are 4 piston and so far so good. Never had br9 so can’t comment on them. Also I am boosted. I live in CA bumper to bumper traffic so I am very please with this kits outcome. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
‘74 Duster 360 4M
656 Posts
Like I said I don’t know anything in the br9 but these brembos are 4 piston and so far so good.
Just to be clear, 4 pistons doesn’t necessarily mean better braking when compared to 2 pistons. The forumla for calculating brake torque only uses half the pistons in a fixed caliper like the Brembo. The important factors are the rotor diameter and the size of the pistons.

Maybe you knew that, just kind of sounded like you were saying that based on the number of pistons alone the Brembo’s were better.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts