Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this had already been addressed but it's killing me. The brake squealing is driving me nuts. I have a few questions.

1. Is there any way to prevent the squealing on a new Challenger?

2. Once it starts, is there any way to stop it?

3. Is it the brake pads? If so, which brake pads have the same stopping
power but without the dreaded squeal?

I always get on the highway and try to burn the rust off with aggressive braking but it always comes back. Need some good advice. Thanks

·
Registered
448 Posts
NinjaBrwn,

I've had 3 SRT's...and had squeal on all of them after a few thousand miles ....SO...started to do break pad seating every few months...helps a lot!....my procedure was to do 6-8 runs from 65 mph to 25 mph...use firm break pressure but DO NOT activate the ABS system...after each run quickly accelerate back to 65...
do this 6-8 times in a row. after you finish, drive at highway speeds for 5 to 10 minutes to cool off your pads and rotors (do not apply breaks during this time).
Let me know if this helps!

...Seamaster...

·
Registered
448 Posts
Cuda340,

Probably my issue is that I'm very easy and light on my brakes...a few of the master mechanics at the dealership have often scolded me that I did not run my whip enough...I think that if your "too easy" on these Brembos they really don't seat well so it's probably my fault.

...Seamaster...

·
Premium Member
3,087 Posts
I am not proposing this as a fix, in fact I tend to think it is just coincidence but regardless here is what happened.

Out Jeep SRT rear brakes started squealing like crazy after about 4000 miles. Using harder braking prevents the squeal but isn't always practical. The rear brakes on the Jeep SRT are notorious for this behavior.

When I was taking off the winter tires a couple of weeks ago, I took the opportunity to clean the calipers also. I sprayed generously with Simple Green and then hosed out all the black pad material from the caliper mechanism with a spray bottle of water. It took about 5 iterations until the water ran clean and every thing looked like new.

So far I have not heard a peep (or squeal) from the brakes since.:scratchhead:

Somebody will probably point out that I may have made matters worse by washing out the anti-squeal compound on the back of the pads and that may be true. Time will tell.

·
Banned
675 Posts
My hawk pads came with some kind of grease or oil to put on the pad to prevent the squeak. I didn't put them on and after challengerfest my brakes started to squeak, So i'm going to read up on the instructions and apply the no squeak stuff.

·
Registered
171 Posts
NinjaBrwn,

I've had 3 SRT's...and had squeal on all of them after a few thousand miles ....SO...started to do break pad seating every few months...helps a lot!....my procedure was to do 6-8 runs from 65 mph to 25 mph...use firm break pressure but DO NOT activate the ABS system...after each run quickly accelerate back to 65...
do this 6-8 times in a row. after you finish, drive at highway speeds for 5 to 10 minutes to cool off your pads and rotors (do not apply breaks during this time).
Let me know if this helps!

...Seamaster...
+1 I never had squealing on my 06 SRT8 300 I drove for years. You must "bed" in the pads as described above whenever they are replaced. Being a 300, 95% of my driving was Grandma Moses, 5% Mario Andretti so I was pretty easy on them ( the rears get abused as the traction control uses it the rear brakes to control wheel spin). I also used Posi Quiets to avoid the break dust - but never had squeal.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks a lot Seamaster. I'll give it a try and let you know how it goes.

So the issue is getting the brakes to "seat" by using them hard when you either replace the pads or if you get a new vehicle?

I keep asking about a new vehicle because i'll be upgrading to a 392 when it comes in from the factory so I want to make sure I don't make the same mistakes.

I was easy on my brakes when I first got my current SRT. How do you know when the brakes seat well?

Do you continue to drive it hard, or do you stop after a certain time?

Thanks again for the info :thumbsup:

Ninjabrwn

·
Registered
631 Posts
Well, everbody is different, and it seems that 2 people can buy the same exact car, drive it the same exact way, 1 gets squealing, other doesn't. I lived with squealing at various times with my 07 Vette. Search any Corvette forum, squeal brakes and brake dust are 2 of the biggest complaints.

Most, like I did, switched to a GM ceramic or other aftermarket pad. Most, like me, found out that even though every one claimed this would solve the problem, it didn't (reduced the dust, but not the noise). I had my dealership pull all the pads, chamfer all the edges, and make sure to use tons of anti-squeal goo and check the anti-squeal pads. That solved the problem for 2 whole years. Never did the bedding process, lots swear by it.

Interestingly, 2 years later, the squeal returned along with some other brake noise; dealer insisted it was the ceramic pads, replaced back with stock pads. Expected lots of squealing again, and for the next year, nothing. Right up until I traded in, not a sound. No bedding in of those either.

My point is that I think its all about how the pads are put on, lubed correctly, correct anti-squeal goo and paddings, etc. Bedding the pads should work, but seems like it has to be done just right. And the squeal will eventually return and/or still occur now and then. But I know my dealer was able to give me 30,000 miles of silence, without bedding them, so I know its possible.

So far, 500 miles on my SRT, no noise at all. Waiting for it to start, and will see what happens. Sorry this is so long, but I know the frustration of squealing brakes and how it feels. No one wants their pride and joy to sound like a school bus coming to a stop!!!

·
Registered
448 Posts
Ninjabrwn,
I would certainly bed new Brembos on a new car or anytime you get new pads. You can do the whole process in less than 5 minutes or so....now I do it as a every few months as a regular maintenance item. The "bedding" cleanses the pads and smooths out the pad mating surfaces to the rotors. One thing I forgot to mention....make sure your rotors are up to normal operating temperature (after 15 minutes or so of normal driving)...
dont recommend doing this on cold rotors....and if you want further knowledge about this do a google search "seating brembo pads"...please let us know how it works out.

...Seamaster...

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
My hawk pads came with some kind of grease or oil to put on the pad to prevent the squeak. I didn't put them on and after challengerfest my brakes started to squeak, So i'm going to read up on the instructions and apply the no squeak stuff.
I also reused the metalic shims from the stock pads on the hawks. Performed the new bedding process and have had absolute 0 problems for almost 2 years now. I do drive it hard periodically still and I do believe this has alot to do with it. IE drive your car like it was designed to be used!

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
The first mod I made when I got my car was to replace the stock Brembo's with a set of hawk HPS pads. Once bedded they were 95% as good as the Brembo's in stopping power (I however dont race the car) within spirited driving and they very rarely squeek.
Squeeking is a normal factor of performance brakes, but correctly bedding them will reduce this by 95%...And the fricken dust is 99% gone.

Ceramic pads will squeek even less and produce even less dust than the HPS pads but they give up some "bite"...Not what I wanted for my SRT as I wanted to stay as close to stock as possible.

I now have 7500 miles on the car and simply love these pads.
JMHO.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update

Well, I've spent the last few days taking her out on the highway and braking from either 60-30 or 80-40 just to see if there is any difference. I notice it goes away when I exit the highway and drive through the city for a little. But when I park the car and start off again, it comes back.

I guess at this point I have two options:

1. Change the brakes, and the rotors and do the bedding process again.

Or

2. Bear with the noise until the 392 comes in and do the bedding process on that one.

I think I like option #2 better...lol

Thanks again for all the information. I know when the new one comes in i'll be bugging you guys again just to make sure I'm doing everything properly. I don't want to have this problem again.

Ninjabrwn

·
Registered
278 Posts
Bedding the pads in correctly and KEEPING them clean is the only way to stop this, stock brembo pads will start to squeal, unless you are exremely lucky, as soon as they start to dust up. Cleaning and Rinse them off real well, and frequently, helps out alot.

·
Registered
2011 Challenger SRT8
60 Posts
I know this had already been addressed but it's killing me. The brake squealing is driving me nuts. I have a few questions.

1. Is there any way to prevent the squealing on a new Challenger?

2. Once it starts, is there any way to stop it?

3. Is it the brake pads? If so, which brake pads have the same stopping
power but without the dreaded squeal?

I always get on the highway and try to burn the rust off with aggressive braking but it always comes back. Need some good advice. Thanks
I just replaced my 11' stock pads at 25k original miles with Hawk performance Ceramic pads because the Squeal was so bad. When I would low speed stop, everyone turned and looked for an old car. These Hawk brakes squeal really bad too, which makes me mad because I spent an afternoon jacking, changing, greasing, replacing. Were all in the same club. To me, it sounds like its only the rear as if there isn't enough pressure at low speeds. I wonder if the pressure can be adjusted with a proportioning valve in the rear? Maybe im way off but, I don't have any noise with Wilwood on my hotrod.
So far the Brembo brakes are a big Fad, look really good though. I am going to try and bed them again.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
My car was squealing after the first 600 miles and kept on squealing up to 6000 miles (First service). The dealer polished the rotors and I got it only 2-3 times after that and it wasn't as loud as it used to be. I braked hard after this happened and the squeal disappeared instantly. The car is now at 10,000 miles.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
During an srt engineer askathon the brakes were brought up about excessive dusting and the answer given was that these r high performance brakes and want to be driven like high performance brakes. When driven hard they will actually dust less and wear less because of the nature of the pad material. If they dont get hot enough they wont perform optimally. I imagine the same is true about the squealing. I love late breaking in my car. I did the same on my cbr and it would scare the hell out of some people. Always look behind first though!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.