Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, I started having some dealership incompetency issues and changed dealerships, then instantly found the brake problems!

2016 Scat pack shaker, 6 spdm

Brought car in for vibration issues several times, dealership found nothing, said it was normal and that slotted rotors cause vibrations.
I know cars fairly well, and did not accept this. Jump ahead a few visits, I decide to bring my car to another dealership as someone dented my car and this dealership has a great bodyshop group. Perfect time to bring up my concerns.

A couple hours after dropping the car off, the dealership called me and found the issue (found exactly where I told the previous dealership to look).
ALL 4 CORNERS, ALL BRAKE PADS WERE CRACKED!!!!!

Now, I have confirmed with the service manager nothing would really cause this other than overheating.
Yet my rotors show ZERO signs of heat issues, calipers all working properly, and this car has never seen the track. I rarely do hard or frequent braking enough to get the system up to high temperatures without enough time to cool down..... it's a daily driver, and I'm commercial truck driver so I am always driving with least amount of brake applications possible, etc, etc,etc .....

NO WARRANTY - car is just a year old, but has over 20 thousand kms so brake warranty done.
Brake rotors - no issues
Brake pad replacement - $400 CAD for the front PADS ONLY and another $400 for the rear PADS ONLY. I repeat - PARTS ONLY!!! absolutely ridiculous. Needless to say I'm buying Hawk pads, and even if they fail, I'll have $600 left to keep re buying them, but they have been getting good reviews on this site so I'm trying out the ceramics. After all, the bar has been set VERY low by the brembo's.

Anyways, anyone have an opinion on any other reasons for this. Dealerships, service managers, and pretty much every one cannot believe the extent of the pad failure (also note pad wear is very even all around and still at over 60% if I recall correctly). The dealership just said sorry, and they feel bad for my situation but nothing they can do nor any advice.

Advice? Opinions? Anyone else have this issue!???? FYI this model year has 4 piston brembos front and rear.

Cheers
-Branduke:surprise::crying:

·
Registered
2016 Challenger SRT 392
185 Posts
$400 per set!??!?! Are they made of Gold???

I know the answer... thats just crazy. So is cracked brake pads...

·
Super Moderator
13,872 Posts
Your car must have had a faulty set of pads. Overheating would cause the pads to crack,but the brake calipers would have to be seized to cause this and they would have a blue color.

Although not in your case, if pads have been on the car for years, they can sometimes crack as they become brittle.

Are you going to replace the pads yourself? Brembos are made for quick changes and are super easy to install. here are the simple installation instructions and a DIY video:

1. Push down on the spring clip, and the pin can be pulled out from the back with your finger.
2. On the fronts, you have to lightly pry between the rotor hub and the front edge of the brake pad (closest to the rotor hub) with a screw driver. There is a slotted area in the caliper towards the rotor hub to gain access. [You can also use a small Philips screw driver to pry up (and out) on the holes on the outer edges of the pad (holes where the pins go thru) against the outside of the caliper].
3. With a bigger screw driver, you'll need to carefully wedge between the rotor and each piston to drive it back in some to make more clearance for the new, more thinker pad. When you press on in, the pressure pushes the adjacent piston out. I found that I could simply hold the one piston in with my finger(s) while gently wedging a big screw driver between the piston and the rotor.
4. Clean and wipe down the pin and coat with anti-seize compound (specifically the steel ferule on the head).
5. Shimmy the new pads in, put one side of the clip in place, and push the pin in from the back side while aligning the pads so that the holes in the pad line up and allow the pin to come through. When you go to tap the pin in from the back side, you'll probably need the same pin punch. (Note- You can use a little tack hammer).
6. As you are tapping in the pin, you'll know when it's home as the pitch of the “tink-tink-tinking” sound will change drastically, and you'll know you got it all the way in You will see it protruding through the front of the caliper.
7. The rear brakes are similar, except that the pads and pins are smaller. You will need a smaller pin-punch. The left rear is a little tight behind the caliper as far as getting enough swing with the side of the tack hammer and the smaller pin punch, but stick with it, and keep tinking away until the note of the tinking sound changes. (Note- Persistence pays off here. Even if you think you're not getting enough energy tinking on the pin punch while driving the pin in from the back side on this left rear caliper, stick with it, and concentrate on keeping the pin punch centered on the head of the pin. The sound will change, and you will know when you get it homed.

·
Registered
9,456 Posts
As Cuda said you must have had bad pads. I've never heard of anyone with cracked pads on this forum after the years.
Actually the bar is set pretty high by brembo. The brembo pads are high performance pads and there aren't too many on the market that can match its performance.
What I'd suggest to you is call FCA and file a complaint. This shouldn't be happening. Maybe you'll get lucky and they will replace the pads on their dime. Definitely a bad set. Especially when all 4 cracked. That's extremely unusual IMO. Good luck.

·
Registered
9,456 Posts
By the way you can buy all 4 brembo pads from Luke for under $200 US shipped. I'm not sure if he ships to Canada. Worth checking it out. And the swap is a piece of cake. Great video posted by Cuda.

·
Super Moderator
13,872 Posts
Although I love the stopping power of my Brembo brake pads, when they wear out, I will be installing either Power Stop, Hawk Street Performance 5.0 or EBC Red Stuff low-dust brake pads. Unless you are tracking your Challenger, the dusty Brembo pads are not worth the daily wheel cleaning hassle.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Actually; I've seen this before. During manufacture the oven temperature over shoots and the pads become brittle.

My thoughts are to have the rotors cut so they run true. I have seen plenty of new rotors that are off enough to vibrate or pulse the pedal.

Do not get racing oriented pads, they work hot and you are too gentle for them to work. Get a factory stock pad or equivalent, that work well cold.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is anyone noticing inner pads wearing faster than the outer ones? That was the case for the old pads that I have replaced already. Dealership said no caliper issues...
Next service will be enough to see if anything still happening there.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Might be worth contacting Brembo directly. They're pretty proud of their products and might take care of it for you. I just installed Hawk SP pads on my 8 piston fronts last weekend and they squeal like a banshee.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts