Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Start by saying this is not meant to stir the pot over which brake pad is better for what purpose just my experience and opinion after switching out the pads.

Background - Bought a 2018 T/A 392. Car came with the 6 Piston Brembos up front. I live on the prairies, curves and hills are few and far between and no track anywhere near me. The Brembo brakes are overkill for where I live and how I drive so I may be biased. I can honestly say if the brakes were an option on my car I probably wouldn't have bothered - cost of admission and future maintenance are pretty high for my needs.

In saying that the stock Brembos are excellent brakes. Great initial grab, excellent pedal feel and haul the car down real fast. Only problem, which is well documented - brake dust. Only have 300 miles on my car and after every wash I have brake dust by the time I get back home. My OCD was driving me crazy trying to keep the wheels clean.

After reading numerous posts the Power Stop Z23 pads had some pretty good reviews. It seemed like very little loss (if any) for normal braking and far less dust. I bought the front and rear pads for $150.00 CDN so really did not have much to lose if I didn't like them - I could just switch the Brembo pads back in.

Install. There are numerous posts and videos on how to change these pads. Very simple to do and the calipers do not have to be removed. The Power Stop pads had slightly less material on them. The Brembos had to be "tapped" out with a punch but the Power Stop just slid right in. What I did find out about the rear pads was that the factory Brembos had a shim installed as well. The Power Stop pads did not come with the shim. I re-used the shims but Murphys law kicked in. Factory shims were installed with "Brake Quiet". This is the liquid type of adhesive that goes between the pads and shims and I didn't have any at home. The factory shims had a large amount of this left behind so I just reinstalled the shims. So far no noise but if they start squealing the pads can be pulled out easily and re-done with the brake quiet. If you are changing the rear pads you may want to pick some up prior to starting the job. I was really surprised at how much brake dust had already gathered on the pins, shims calipers etc. - especially after only 300 miles. Total install time for all 4 wheels was about 2 hours at my not so blistering pace. New pads were then bedded in as recommended.

Observations - Initial bite is definitely less. This is not necessarily a bad thing as I found the brakes a little touchy after driving my other vehicles but I could definitely tell the difference. When I stand on the brakes a little harder I am hard pressed to tell the difference. In city driving I don't think there will be much difference in performance. After all I only changed the pads. I still have the big calipers clamping on huge discs. The Power Stop may not deal with heat as well as the Brembos but how hot do they really get on the street.

My not so expert opinion and seat of the pants feel is that these Power Stop will be fine for street use, especially considering my driving style. I don't think you can drive on the street anywhere legally that would need the full performance the Brembo brakes and pads offer. I would say the if you were on the track the Brembos would be better - dust and all.

For me it has been a good switch. Still to early to say how much dust had been reduced but it does seem quite a bit better and time will tell.

Hopefully this helps out anyone else thinking about making the switch.

·
Registered
14,280 Posts
Good writeup and review Sask and I agree completely. I like the fact that the Z23 has less initial bite, the car is easier to drive and cruise around in now and it really shines while on the adaptive cruise where before every time the car applied the brakes it seemed too much of a hit, now nice and smooth.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
936 Posts
3 different Challengers in the last5 years. Everyone of the has gotten PowerStop pads. Can not deal with Brembo brake dust.. All 3 cars have been M6’s .

·
Registered
2018 Billet Silver SRT 392 (1 of 2)
137 Posts
I've actually looked around for how-to videos on this topic but just haven't found a good one yet. I should probably qualify that by saying I'm not a master mechanic so I'm looking for a thorough how-to video for replacing the pads. I guess I'm looking for a video that does a good job of explaining everything and doesn't assume the viewer knows what they're doing (like me since I've never replaced brake pads before). I'm a visual kind of guy so a video would help me much more than any kind of detailed write-up.

If anyone knows of such a video, I'd be greatly appreciative. If not, I'll just keep on looking.

Thanks!

saint 0:)

·
Registered
2015 SRT, 6 Speed, Sublime Green
1,464 Posts
I’m not looking at changing my pads any time soon, but I wanted to comment about how much the OP’s post and review is appreciated. Topics like these are the best part of this forum. Thanks for taking the time. When it is time to change I’ll certainly remember this information.

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Seems like a good option. I don't need crazy braking performance. I think I'm gonna change them not only for the brake dust but because my left rear brake is already squealing at the 4,000 mile mark and driving me nuts.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger SRT
693 Posts
The answer to the folks that say that the Power Stop 23's aren't as good as the Brembos, that's why there is a 1/4 mile runoff at the track..........

·
Registered
14,280 Posts
I've actually looked around for how-to videos on this topic but just haven't found a good one yet. I should probably qualify that by saying I'm not a master mechanic so I'm looking for a thorough how-to video for replacing the pads. I guess I'm looking for a video that does a good job of explaining everything and doesn't assume the viewer knows what they're doing (like me since I've never replaced brake pads before). I'm a visual kind of guy so a video would help me much more than any kind of detailed write-up.

If anyone knows of such a video, I'd be greatly appreciative. If not, I'll just keep on looking.

Thanks!

saint 0:)
I've done brakes before but never Brembos and I looked at this vid by SRT Mush and it helped make it super easy. Make sure you've got a few small diameter punches to knock the pins out and long enough to push them through, I can't remember the size. I didn't have any problems at all.

https://youtu.be/HXg4ZNMhA48

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've done brakes before but never Brembos and I looked at this vid by SRT Mush and it helped make it super easy. Make sure you've got a few small diameter punches to knock the pins out and long enough to push them through, I can't remember the size. I didn't have any problems at all.

https://youtu.be/HXg4ZNMhA48

How to: Change SRT/Hellcat/Brembo pads on Charger/Challenger - YouTube

This is the exact video I watched - does a good job of taking you through the change out of the pads. The rear pads only have the pins - no bolt to take out. The videos I saw of the rear pads did not mention the shims or brake quiet so I was surprised to see I needed it. Just an FYI the Chargers use the same brakes so a Charger video will also clearly demonstrate the process.

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
My 15 had 43,000 miles on it when I bought it. I haven't really noticed much brake dust on my wheels. Chrysler owned my car before I got it. I wonder if they switched to a different brand of pad, or maybe I'm just blind. Does the dust show less on the matte black Hellcat wheels? I've owned cars in the past where brake dust was very evident. I just don't see it on this car.

I did get some front Power Stop pads for Christmas that I plan to put on this spring. I mostly wanted them to attempt to make the rotors live longer.

·
Banned
87 Posts
I run PowerStop Powder Coated Calipers, Ceramic coated rotors and their Z26 pads on my R/T. It does the job of stopping my car on a dime!!!

·
Registered
14,280 Posts
You can but them lots of places ... Speedlogix, Jeg's, Amazon, etc.

Just Google the part numbers for the price and place you want to buy.

The first 3 will be the Z23 or Z26 for the backing pad you want, I used the Z23 for street, some will use Z26.

The next 4 numbers will be for the individual brake setup.

1298 - (Front) 4-piston Brembos for SRT8 thru 2014 and Scat Pack without Dynamics Package.

1405 - (Front) 6-piston Brembos for 2015-up SRT, Hellcat, T/A 392 and Scat Pack with Dynamics Package.

1053 - (Rear) 4-piston Brembos rear pads, all cars with Brembos use the same rear brake setup.

So your front pads would either be Z23(6)-1298 or Z23(6)-1405 depending on the car you have.

·
Registered
2015 SRT392 A8 in white pearl coat
1,352 Posts
My 15 had 43,000 miles on it when I bought it. I haven't really noticed much brake dust on my wheels. Chrysler owned my car before I got it. I wonder if they switched to a different brand of pad, or maybe I'm just blind. Does the dust show less on the matte black Hellcat wheels? ...
Just came across this question. Very likely that these are not factory pads on your SRT. Brake dust is serious with these 6 piston Brembo's and there will be no question in your mind if you indeed have factory pads. Pretty likely that they were changed out already because of the miles.

·
Registered
116 Posts
SASKTA and SLIDD, thank you for the assist with the video and part number clarifications.

1200 miles on my T/A as my daily and Im done with the brake dust. I put up with it for 20+K on my Hellcat but didnt drive it daily so it wasnt such a bother. Buying these today!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts