Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Scat Pack 4-piston Brembos squeak like crazy under light application, especially in stop and go traffic. Tried bedding them a couple of times, helps, but the squeak comes back in a day or two. Car has 3000 miles, squeak started around 1500.

Braking strength is phenomenal under full application, but light braking (i.e. 90% of day to day driving) is extremely annoying. Is this just a fact of life with Brembos or can I do something about it ? Any hints would be much apprecaited.

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
Scat Pack 4-piston Brembos squeak like crazy under light application, especially in stop and go traffic. Tried bedding them a couple of times, helps, but the squeak comes back in a day or two. Car has 3000 miles, squeak started around 1500.

Braking strength is phenomenal under full application, but light braking (i.e. 90% of day to day driving) is extremely annoying. Is this just a fact of life with Brembos or can I do something about it ? Any hints would be much apprecaited.
Could get powerstops instead.

·
Super Moderator
15,342 Posts
they have that low speed / light application squeal.

I have 9.8K on mine now and I don't seem to notice it doing it anymore.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I've never heard a squeek outta my scats brakes. I only have 1700 miles though, so maybe it's coming?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2013 SRT8
971 Posts
I've never heard a squeek outta my scats brakes. I only have 1700 miles though, so maybe it's coming?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's coming..... I was the same way when I got my 2013 SRT. No squeal and wondering what everyone was complaining about. Then the squeal started. Light and only every so often and now very often and louder. So I have to re-bed them every so often.

Signing off from somewhere in the Universe...

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
This is a common complaint about Brembos across every major automaker. If you go to the Brembo site they have addressed the complaint in a technical write up. If you want to save the time searching, they call this squeak, "normal".

·
Registered
9,350 Posts
Just shy of 15k on my Scat Pack, and no squeaking yet. I don't get into stop and go traffic often, so maybe that's part of it.

With high performance brakes, some things are to be expected like more noise and dusting. Part of the old "you don't get something for nothing" saying.

Love how these things stop and I'm spoiled by their performance.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Same on my Scat Pack Shaker... It's only under the light braking as others have mentioned. 9.5K on mine and has been like that since as long as I can remember.

·
Super Moderator
13,848 Posts
Brembo brakes will squeal if the shims were not installed properly. Obviously, this is not the case since your Challenger has the original brakes.

The only thing that I could suggest would be to remove the brake pads (an easy job) and reapply some anti-squeal brake grease.

Watch the following video. Start at the 7 minute mark.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks to all who replied - at least I am relieved to learn that I am not alone in this. Will probably just learn to live with it

·
Registered
204 Posts
I've had it almost since I bought the car new. Now at 15K. Sounds like I need new brakes every time I stop, mostly at lower speeds. I read a post on here how bedding them might help. It worked for about a day I think. Annoying as heck. Hoping once these pads are done the new ones won't do it. There's still 50% left on the current ones though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
110 Posts
Mine went thru it squeaking stage between 3500 and 6000 mile and then completely went away. takes time to seat but worth it.

·
Super Moderator
15,342 Posts
Maybe I'm just lucky, but I never had any noise from my Brembo brakes on my 2009 SRT.
The '09 and earlier pads use a different compound - and tend to make a lot more brake dust.

The '10+ were reformulated to address the dust issue complaints

·
Registered
263 Posts
My srt8 had exactly the same problem as yours. I tried bedding the brakes. It didn't work for me either.
What didn't work was, I replaced my brembos pads with akeabono (spelling?) Ceramic pads. All brake noise is now gone and the inside of my wheels stay way cleaner too. I got the pads from tire rack. The only down side is the braking isn't quite as good but I don't auto cross so it's we'll worth the trade off to me
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
219 Posts

My.only.ptoblems with my scat pack are
Weird noise from driver glass. Sometime(weird whistle?)
2.brakes.
Change fot free front rotors 2 times. I could hear light vibrations and noise. Dealer found.hot spots. Howver vibration came from the back and finally they decided to change them too but they " obligate me" to.buy the 3 rd new rotor couple in the front strongly reccomenfing FROZEN ROTORS. Their rotors hard more dense and hard.
Zero satisfaction .very hard to bedding and when hard break i could hear strong noise (metal.to.metal sound) as when you run.out of pads. Dealer told me is normal cause pads and rotors are now very hard. Yesterday I did a coursetrack.day. and after just.2 session my vibration is back(harder) and braking is not good.
Hotspots are back.

You are not alone my friend.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts