Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On a lot of the custom/hot rod shows on TV, the mechanics use Wilwood brakes on their builds, instead of Brembos.

I have heard that Wilwood brakes are less expensive and lighter than Brembos. However, Brembos have superior quality and stopping power. That's why they are used on all of the exotic European supercars. Does anyone have experience with the Wilwoods?

·
Registered
9,351 Posts
Wilwood and Baer are aftermarket/upgrade companies that have catered to the "hot rod" industry. Complete packages for older American cars, so the folks use them, and think of them like Challenger folks think of Brembos.

Smaller companies with great products going after "rodders". Both are sponsors on different shows for more PR and advertising. One show always uses Wilwood on their builds, another show uses Baer.

Good stuff by both, and you pay for it too.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I like that Wilwood is made in Ca.

Problem is like you I never hear alot about if they are good or not. I have heard there caliper stiffness is junk on the Dynalites.

It might be a VHS vs Beta issue. yeah they make a lot of kits for hot rods and muscle cars but are they really any good?

I been eyeballing a 12.2 inch set up for my Honda car but again no feedback if there any good or not. Plus another thing is all I have read you are stuck with their brake pads.

·
Registered
9,351 Posts
Yep, Baer is USA made too. They offer some direct fit OEM replacement parts too for the Challenger.

Front Sport Rotor Upgrade 53029-020 - Baer Brakes

http://baer.com/15-Front-Extreme-Plus-Brake-System-4141043.html

How much, if any better than Brembo OEM's. Don't know.

That said, the rod folks that I've talked with do like the quality and performance of either the Wilwood or Baer systems. Everyone seems to like one brand or the other for something. They're very happy to have a choice that's easy to get and pre engineered.

·
Premium Member
544 Posts
I had the Baer kit on my 69 Camaro, nice product.

They offer F & R kits for Challengers and have a nice color pallet of colors to choose from.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yep, Baer is USA made too. They offer some direct fit OEM replacement parts too for the Challenger.

Front Sport Rotor Upgrade 53029-020 - Baer Brakes

Performance Front Extreme+ Big Brake System 2004-2014 Mopar SRT-8 4141043 - Baer Brakes

How much, if any better than Brembo OEMs. Don't know.

That said, the rod folks that I've talked with do like the quality and performance of either the Wilwood or Baer systems. Everyone seems to like one brand or the other for something. They're very happy to have a choice that's easy to get and pre- engineered.
Can't tell if these prices are for each or per set, I was looking at the 14" front pro.

·
Registered
9,351 Posts
can't tell if these prices are for each or per set, I was looking at the "14 front pro.

I noticed that, but they say that they are sold in pairs only. I would assume that is the price per pair, but I hate to assume anything. Guess if I was ready for new rotors, I would call them to confirm, but I'm not yet.

I did send an email for clarification though

·
Registered
412 Posts
I've been researching a front big brake kit for my R/T. Found a Wilwood setup through TCE performance off the LX Forum that uses Wilwood calipers, where I can keep the R/T spindles and not have to mount SRT spindles as I would with four-or six piston Brembo setup.

I also found a Stoptech big brake kit where I can bolt up to the R/T spindles. I'm trying to research the piston quality between the Wilwood and Stoptech. If anyone has installed Wilwood or Stoptech, please chime in.

Some men say that the Dodge factory in house Brembos are cast and not the quality one would associate with Brembos on Porsches, etc. I have no idea if that is true, but I was told you would have to get the Brembo GT kits to have real Brembo quality, and those kits cost about $4,000 for all four wheels.

·
Vendor
12,262 Posts
retrofitting a R/T with Brembo can be an adventure, a very expensive one, the spindles and hub bearings must be replaced on all 4 corners, hence if buying parts new approx over $3000.00 and thats before any brake components,

the best solution from there is the following

https://www.stevewhiteparts.com/oem-parts/mopar-brake-components-77072382

so unless you have a donor vehicle, you can easily spend 7k plus

we dont recommend it, much cheaper and we can offer a lot of support especially if doing any type of track activities.....

https://www.stevewhiteparts.com/steve-white-catalog-challenger-charger-300-front-big-brake-kit-calipers-slotted-rotors-pads-wilwood-140-14067-r?parent=1053

https://www.stevewhiteparts.com/steve-white-catalog-challenger-charger-rear-big-brake-kit-calipers-slotted-rotors-red-wilwood-4pt-140-14068-r?parent=1053

·
Vendor
12,262 Posts
and with Wilwood Brakes we are a dealer distributor and have the ear of two engineers for assistance, one routinely help us with Bigred
Luke>:)

·
Super Moderator
15,381 Posts
I like that Wilwood is made in Ca.

Problem is like you I never hear alot about if they are good or not. I have heard there caliper stiffness is junk on the Dynalites.

It might be a VHS vs Beta issue. yeah they make a lot of kits for hot rods and muscle cars but are they really any good?

I been eyeballing a 12.2 inch set up for my Honda car but again no feedback if there any good or not. Plus another thing is all I have read you are stuck with their brake pads.
Baer & Wilwood targeted their market and support the retro-fit for the older cars.

Given the majority of these vehicles had drum brake setups - as back in the day many didn't spend the extra $$ for front disc brakes or power assist brakes. Those old drum setups weren't great in the day and by current standards and pretty poor braking systems.

Those old cars took 200+ feet to stop from 60 mph if you could keep the brakes from locking up - in the best of circumstances.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Hal- I'm with GreeninTN. Just because the Wilwood brand is prolific and has been around a while, who knows if the caliper/piston quality is superior to Stoptech? I watched a pretty neat shop tour vid of Stoptech and if I understood it correctly, the Stoptech calipers are forged, then they machine away what is necessary to lighten it up, then one guy assembles each caliper, and tests for brake fluid leak before shipping. I was impressed, looks high tech.

So which caliper/piston is better quality, Wilwood or Stoptech? I don't know. I can't find any specs for either brand, like clamping force in foot pounds, etc. Either set to upgrade my RT would be a six piston front caliper.

Who on here has installed Stoptech front big brakes and can comment from experience?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I recently bought and installed myself a set of Wilwoods front and back on my 2005 Dodge Magnum RT. I want to track the car and street brakes will almost never be big enough.
I had Tod at TCE substitute a little bigger front rotor than the kit came with and the mounting hardware to make them fit the 6 piston aerolite caliper.
They are huge compared to stock. Stock front is 13.6" rear 12.6"
Magnum/charger SRT came with 13.6/12.6
Hellcat comes with 15.4/13.8
Wilwood (for an RT) is 14.25/14.25
What I have is same as Wilwood for RT but with a 15" front rotor. All are 2 piece.
2017 Shelby GT350 is 15.5/15 just for reference. Note that the Shelby brakes perform well on that car which is much lighter than our cars.
Observations:
It is a pretty long install but not complicated. Just detailed. I did have to lose the front sheet metal dust shields to fit the calipers.
Follow the pad bedding procedure to get the most from your pads.
The calipers must be removed to change the pads. Important if you plan to run track pads and street pads.
The calipers are not mounted vertical so I wonder if I was able to bleed all the air out of them.
The brakes seem to work great and I have not been to the track yet to really test them but on the street I am not able to get them really hot.
In cold, wet weather, they lose effectiveness until warmed up. They fit under my 19" wheels just fine.

·
Registered
412 Posts
"The calipers are not mounted vertical(ly) so I wonder if I was able to bleed all the air out of them."

If the calipers are not mounted vertically, what orientation are they mounted in? Pics?

·
Registered
Boosted Stroked 2014 Shaker M6
2,457 Posts
On a lot of the custom/hot rod shows on TV, the mechanics use Wilwood brakes on their builds, instead of Brembos.

I have heard that Wilwood brakes are less expensive and lighter than Brembos. However, Brembos have superior quality and stopping power. That's why they are used on all of the exotic European supercars. Does anyone have experience with the Wilwoods?
I'd go with Baer brakes, and they cost about the same as the Wilwoods. The owner of the speed shop nearest me recommends them.

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack
1,189 Posts
I have Wilwood brakes on my 1972 Nova, they're great! Front disc brakes along with a Wilwood master cylinder as well. Manual brakes all around, still have the drums on the back. The car stops way better than it did stock with the drums all around. I know a few other guys that run Wilwoods that like them as well. Good product!

·
Registered
7 Posts
The calipers are mounted in the original location but that is not entirely vertical. Remember that there are 6 pistons in the front and 4 in the rear so that means a lot more places for air to hide. Apparently I cannot attach a picture file to a post. So no pics.
The OEM calipers have the bleeder clocked so that it is on the top of the caliper. Aftermarket calipers are necessarily not vehicle specific so the bleeders are just at the ends of the caliper.
Here are some pictures:
https://www.google.com/search?q=wilwood+caliper+on+a+dodge+magnum&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjQzKXkvN_ZAhUk_4MKHf2UA8QQ_AUIDCgD&biw=1920&bih=974#imgrc=YScblnzN-EH_PM:

This is a great diagram:
http://www.tceperformanceproducts.com/caliper-mounting/

·
Vendor
12,262 Posts
I recently bought and installed myself a set of Wilwoods front and back on my 2005 Dodge Magnum RT. I want to track the car and street brakes will almost never be big enough.
I had Tod at TCE substitute a little bigger front rotor than the kit came with and the mounting hardware to make them fit the 6 piston aerolite caliper.
They are huge compared to stock. Stock front is 13.6" rear 12.6"
Magnum/charger SRT came with 13.6/12.6
Hellcat comes with 15.4/13.8
Wilwood (for an RT) is 14.25/14.25
What I have is same as Wilwood for RT but with a 15" front rotor. All are 2 piece.
2017 Shelby GT350 is 15.5/15 just for reference. Note that the Shelby brakes perform well on that car which is much lighter than our cars.
Observations:
It is a pretty long install but not complicated. Just detailed. I did have to lose the front sheet metal dust shields to fit the calipers.
Follow the pad bedding procedure to get the most from your pads.
The calipers must be removed to change the pads. Important if you plan to run track pads and street pads.
The calipers are not mounted vertical so I wonder if I was able to bleed all the air out of them.
The brakes seem to work great and I have not been to the track yet to really test them but on the street I am not able to get them really hot.
In cold, wet weather, they lose effectiveness until warmed up. They fit under my 19" wheels just fine.
you probably need different brake pads, the standard kits come with street pads
Luke

1 - 20 of 34 Posts