Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend wanted to paint his SRT 392 (2015) calipers in a custom color...

Had these done in Plum Crazy Purple (pitch black car, going with PCP accents)

The shop didn't do these in powercoat, but instead sprayed the paint over the OEM red paint (ceramic?) the SRT Brembos have.

One caliper had flaws, so next I'm touching up with the small amount of paint they were shipped with.

Anyway - I bought a vacuum bleeder setup - if anyone isn't familiar - each caliper has TWO bleeders (yes, twice the fun...NOT)

since everything was opened up, pretty much all the brake fluid had drained from the reservoir.

The original fluid brake fluid (Build date Feb 2015, 25K on vehicle to date) was the color darker than Jack Daniels whiskey...

I've mentioned in the past of changing fluid out every two years - this is an example of that. Clean fluid, new brake fluid (no moisture absorbed) is a very pale straw color by comparison.

Old dark fluid has absorbed moisture and this introduces moisture to aluminum, steel and stainless parts in the system (not to mention a very expensive ABS pump) the boiling point of the fluid is lower as well.

Anyway - it took hours and multiple rounds to get them bled. On the 3rd container of 12 oz brake fluid by the time I had decent pedal feel.

Still have to road test it today - but I'm strongly advising the owner to take the car to dealer to have them bleed and cycle the ABS system (requires laptop FCA software) to make sure everything has been bled and purge out any old fluid.

Bleeding the brakes (DIY) just gets the service brake circuits. It doesn't affect the redundant circuits on the ABS side.

Its not a job I want to do again...there's a reason I don't like working on brakes, this confirmed why.

Changing out pads, rotors - no problem.

If it involves breaking the hydraulics open - it goes to the shop...and let them deal with it!

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Yep, not for your average shade tree mechanic. Also have to start from the wheel furthest from the master cylinder and work back to it. I do mine every spring since I use Motul DOT5.1. Purchase my own fluid and take it to Brakes Plus. They only charge me around $45 for the labor on a full flush & fill so way worth saving the time and aggravation to me. They typically have it done in 30 mins.

·
Super Moderator
16,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I get the impression the pressure bleeders work better.

The item that I find that still an issue for my own vehicles - is getting the ABS side flushed. If I could do that with a hand-held scan tool, I'd invest in a pressure bleeder.

For my purposes, I'll still take mine in to have it done, since it will be done thoroughly.

I'm familiar with the work from most further corner around to nearest. Its a messy job and you have to be diligent about cleaning any fluid drips or spatter from any painted surface

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
I get the impression the pressure bleeders work better.

The item that I find that still an issue for my own vehicles - is getting the ABS side flushed. If I could do that with a hand-held scan tool, I'd invest in a pressure bleeder.

For my purposes, I'll still take mine in to have it done, since it will be done thoroughly.

I'm familiar with the work from most further corner around to nearest. Its a messy job and you have to be diligent about cleaning any fluid drips or spatter from any painted surface
I just did mine a few weeks ago. You're right, even though FCA doesn't specify a fluid change interval, it should be done anyway. I still had the original brake fluid from 2016, and it was pretty brown compared to fresh stuff. I let it go longer than I should have.

I used my Motive pressure bleeder. Good for the money, but you have to pump it constantly to keep good pressure. The Mac tools one we have at my work is much better, but pricey I believe. I bought my own just so I could do it at home or at the track.

I did a pressure bleed all the way around, then I did the ABS bleed procedure with the scan tool, then I did a pressure bleed again. Came out clearer and clearer each time. Went through a whole case of Mopar DOT 4. I think it should be good for now. Pedal feel is great.

My plan is to do the whole system every spring, and each caliper after every track day. Unfortunately not everyone has access to witech or an equivalent scan tool, but even a manual bleed regularly is better than nothing.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2014 Challenger SRT 8
1,205 Posts
Hard time I had is the fluid should be colored so to see if its all changed.

I use a snap on brake fluid sucker and just change it, no air get in at all.

I run the bosch fluid also

·
Registered
159 Posts
Someone tell me about needing computer assistance for the ABS pump please?
Had a few vehicles over here with ABS, and not needed to do anything different from the usual bleeding procedure, even from completely empty (fitted complete ABS system into a Lancia integrale that didn't have it as standard with no issues). I've never been very satisfied with the pedal feel on the Challenger - always spongy, so bled the system last weekend with new Dot 5.1, plus the clutch, but not much better.

·
Premium Member
2014 Challenger SRT 8
1,205 Posts
Someone tell me about needing computer assistance for the ABS pump please?
Had a few vehicles over here with ABS, and not needed to do anything different from the usual bleeding procedure, even from completely empty (fitted complete ABS system into a Lancia integrale that didn't have it as standard with no issues). I've never been very satisfied with the pedal feel on the Challenger - always spongy, so bled the system last weekend with new Dot 5.1, plus the clutch, but not much better.

San tool cycles the abs and pushes air out.

When I changed my truck fluid I just stopped hard in grass and it bleed the air out for me.

·
Registered
3,565 Posts

·
Premium Member
2014 Challenger SRT 8
1,205 Posts
I have changed hundreds of calipers, why all the fuss?? Why do u drain the whole system ??? cap off line if it gonna be longer then a minute. LOL

I never create more work then needed...…………..

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
I have changed hundreds of calipers, why all the fuss?? Why do u drain the whole system ??? cap off line if it gonna be longer then a minute. LOL

The point is to change out dirty old fluid. Capping off a line isn't doing you much good there.

·
Premium Member
2014 Challenger SRT 8
1,205 Posts
The point is to change out dirty old fluid. Capping off a line isn't doing you much good there.

AND??? changing the fluid does not GET air in it unless U are adding more work to your plate for fun...…………..

·
Super Moderator
16,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I pulled my calipers and powder coated them black. Our new s/s lines on. Bought the motive bleeder and that was not enough

Had to get this to purge the abs mod to get the air out.
I got this worked great. Has other features to do other things as well

https://www.obdprice.com/products/a...MI9ZbQ7eqj4wIVw8DACh2RpAwjEAQYAiABEgIhc_D_BwE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
that's good to know there's a hand-held scan tool for a reasonable price - most of the pro ones I've heard of cost $$$

·
Registered
159 Posts
I must have been stupid lucky when I swapped to 6 piston Brembo's. I had no issue with a Vacuum bleeder - inside first then outside one. One thing I did find out fast was not to open up the bleeder screw too much.

·
Registered
3,565 Posts

Not only did I cap of the lines it didn’t lose more than 10 drops of fluid

What works for one don’t always work for the other

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts