Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, after the first couple of them it was a bit played out.
No matter what it's still a sad event, he was only 40 years old. We love our cars and take a risk every time we go in them.
Wish our members here many safe miles......

·
Super Moderator
14,210 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
My thoughts and prayers go out to the Walker family RIP Brian.
Here is a video some of the crew from F&F did last week.
and here is some raw footage of the crash.

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
I don't mean to be insensitive, but my mind keeps pondering if this could be another incident of 911 snap-oversteer gone very, very wrong? I was doing a search on Google, too, and I come to understand that the 911 even has the infamous nickname of the "widowmaker" (for obvious reasons).

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
I don't mean to be insensitive, but my mind keeps pondering if this could be another incident of 911 snap-oversteer gone very, very wrong? I was doing a search on Google, too, and I come to understand that the 911 even has the infamous nickname of the "widowmaker" (for obvious reasons).
Ive heard that the Carrera GT's are extremely hard to drive even for a pro driver......From the google maps view of where this happened, it loos like they took the corner a tad too fast, started to push a little, ass end starts to come around, overcorrected and into the pole and tree they went. They were haulin the mail of course!!!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
It wasn't a 911. It was a Carrera GT. Still though, not an easy car to drive

·
Registered
6,342 Posts
Engines don't go in the back for a reason. Porsche has spent it's entire career trying to
teach us otherwise.. I thought the same thing Randy!

Absolutely sucks because I really enjoyed Paul as an actor and I think he was a genuine
person unlike a lot of people in Hollywood.

:(

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
I don't really have anything against the rear-engine layout, but I would grant that it can be a contributing factor to snap-oversteer (certainly doesn't help the matter). My understanding is that the real factor at work is how the camber and toe shifts in the rear suspension, especially during significant deflection (from either cornering or abrupt loading or even the rebound after-effect of heavy loading). If the toe shifts outward, that will naturally amplifier oversteer. If the camber inverts (goes against the natural roll of the body in a corner), then that super wide tire suddenly has the effective contact patch of a bicycle tire, and that end of the car will go flying out. Either of those 2 factors occurring at a moment where you need maximum lateral traction in the rear, will be the ignition point for a snap-oversteer event. It's not so much the mass of the engine hanging on the end of the car, rather the irs hits some fatal operational point, while still in the turn, where it tracks the tire in the worst possible way or mis-aligns the tire face from the pavement (eliminating available traction, altogether).

·
Registered
38 Posts
I don't really have anything against the rear-engine layout, but I would grant that it is a contributing factor to snap-oversteer. My understanding is that the real factor at work is how the camber and toe shifts in the rear suspension, especially during significant deflection (from either cornering or abrupt unloading or even the rebound after-effect of heavy loading). If the toe shifts outward, that will naturally amplifier oversteer. If the camber inverts (goes against the natural roll of the body in a corner), then that super wide tire suddenly has the effective contact patch of a bicycle tire, and that end of the car will go flying out. Either of those 2 factors occurring at a moment where you need maximum lateral traction in the rear, will be the ignition point for a snap-oversteer event.
True. But the car in question is a Carrera GT, a mid engined, 600+hp V10 with RWD, not rear engined.
Here's a pic of the car supposedly minutes before the crash.

Very, very hard car to drive. The issue you describe could very much be an issue with mid engined cars, I'm far from an expert on the subject. But I'm willing to bet lots of horsepower and someone driving to fast was the issue. The car they were driving likely made little difference. So I'm hesitant to blame the car.
We all could share the same fate if we aren't careful with our cars.

Anyway. Its sad he had to go that way. My heart is out to both families.

·
Premium Member
5,641 Posts
Too bad...

My neighbor's teen age son showed me a photo of the young actor. His face was split almost in two. Amazing what these kids can find on the internet. Life is fragile. Any moment could be your last.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Completely sucks. Too many fast and furious jokes on Facebook this weekend. Public streets aren't a place to show-boat. Irresponsible and tragic. Be safe out there people.

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
Yeeesh...split in 2? Just thinking about that creeps me out!

·
Registered
540 Posts

·
Registered
968 Posts
Fake picture circulating the internet, there are several of them.

He certainly wouldn't be that well preserved after a fiery crash. That pic is confirmed fake.

·
Premium Member
1,722 Posts
This is always sad.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 61 Posts