Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
The Pork Wagon (‘14 Cop Charger)
Joined
·
7,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just about fed up with the crumbling plastic wrap around all the exposed wiring harness wires in the engine compartment. It's one thing to have to clean all the little crumbs off everything if I'm working on the outside of the engine and brush up against the wiring harness, thereby initiating a complete disintegration of that section of plastic wrap. But if I have to mop up that crap from inside a valve cover one more time, I'm gonna get really angry...and my car wont like it when i get angry!! (cue that sad, mournful music where he's walking away at the end of every episode)

I've tried replacing the stuff I've had crumble away only to get the same results after 6 months or so passes and the new plastic becomes just as brittle. I know I could wrap the new stuff in electrical tape to possibly slow own the deterioration, but I don't like how the tape eventually comes loose on the ends and looks all trashy and such.

I did recently have an idea which I've tried on one small section of replacement, but I'll have to wait until some time has passed to gauge its effectiveness - spraying the plastic inside and out with a healthy dose of plasti-dip. I highly doubt it will make anything worse, and even if it only helps a little, that's better than nothing I suppose.

Anyone else found a way to combat this most aggravating of aggravations about working under the hood?
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
16,216 Posts
I guess those blistering hot summers in TX must age the zip tube loom covers much faster than typical.

I've had 15+ year old stuff that is still in good shape unless it was close to exhaust components.

I've seen the high temp zip loom covers sold through the online places, in various diameters. .344 / .500 / .750" diameters.

There's also the option of wrapping them with that silver heat insulation tape as well.
 

·
Premium Member
The Pork Wagon (‘14 Cop Charger)
Joined
·
7,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess those blistering hot summers in TX must age the zip tube loom covers much faster than typical.

I've had 15+ year old stuff that is still in good shape unless it was close to exhaust components.
I'd hate to lay this at the feet of our summers alone. That seems like scapegoating and taking the easy way out. I mean the intense summers can be the sole cause of many problems sure, but surely the well above average outside temps aren't the only cause here.


While I cannot be sure they play any role, I can't imagine the following summertime factors help much and thus could also be actors in this poorly run production:

- 120 to 180 minutes each day spent stopping and going on superheated asphalt/concrete roads.

- 6 to 8 hours each day spent baking in the oven that my engine compartment surely becomes while parked in the uncovered parking lot at my work.

- 3 to 5 manic episodes of intense rage and focused hatred upon fellow drivers who conduct themselves as though they are King Shit and their kingdom encompasses all that they see.

(Okay, that last one probably doesn't contribute much, but my hatred for inconsiderate arseholes is very intense, and if improperly aimed, it's possible the beam of negativity could cause deterioration of any plastic that it passed over, so I included it here just in case.)

Sadly we may never know all the reasons plastic loses its ability to be a solid when inside my engine compartment for a while...but I shall never stop fighting against it, of THAT you can be sure!!
 

·
Premium Member
The Pork Wagon (‘14 Cop Charger)
Joined
·
7,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It occurred to me that the forces at work are so significant that a mere 2 coats of plasti-dip sprayed on could fall woefully short in keeping the deterioration at bay. As such I've gone all As Seen On TV with my newest idea - Flex Seal to the rescue!

Though this isn't the spray kind but the liquid kind instead. I took a couple lengths of the new plastic wrap I've got and dipped them in the Flex Seal and letting them dry now. Once dried, I'll find some sections of wiring harness in the engine compartment on which they could fit, lightly touch the existing stuff, watch it crumble into nothingness, and then replace it with the dipped stuff. That way ill have both solutions age at the same rate so i can compare the results later on down the road.

I'll be sure to post up any significant findings in this experiment as they occur.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
303 Posts
I am experiencing the same frustration. Piss-poor quality, plain and simple! One solution migh be switching to a sort of "mesh" type loom. Do a google search for wire loom. You'll see it. It does come in many colors as well. It also comes "split" for easy installation!
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top