Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A bit of a bittersweet night tonight. Ran a pb 12.5 on my first run. Really good weather and a tail wind. Would have been a great night to get some runs in!

The on my second pass, boom-kablooey. Pretty sure the shaft broke first, then proceeded to pummel the diff into submission.

So, I'm looking at this as an upgrade opportunity. My car is a 2019 RT 5.7 M6. I was all lined up to start looking at doing a supercharger upgrade. This will set that back a bit.

My question to the group is: if I'm looking to strengthen the driveline, I'd like some suggestions as to what y'all would do in my place? Will a Demon diff fit on my 5.7? I'm thinking solid drive shaft, but I'm a bit concerned about fitment.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
15,728 Posts
Man that sucks! Your beautiful car!

Let your dealer know you were pulling out from a stop. Your wheels spun on some water and when it got traction, wheel hopped and BOOM...

It will be the truth, just leave out the part about the track...

A Guy

·
Registered
Boosted Stroked 2014 Shaker M6
2,343 Posts
The stock drive shaft being the weakest part of the drive line, so I have modified my entire drive line to prevent what occurred with your ride, because my engine is a tad beyond stock. That would be a McLeod RXT clutch, hybrid syncros in the Tremec, DDS aluminum driveshaft, DDS rear axles and I just ordered a Per4mance differential brace.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here's some pics of the carnage:

The diff:
IMG_20200222_101739.jpg

Where the drive shaft attaches to said diff:

And here's the end of the drive shaft:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Question for anyone who has replaced a diff: I'm trying to determine if I can do this swap myself. The manual mentions a tool in the removal process called "Protector, Half Shaft, Drive". It looks like two loops.What is the deal there?

·
Registered
133 Posts
keeps drive shaft from coming down and causing the car to pole vault.
erh, that might be the zip ties they hold the half shafts up with while the insert the new rear center differential.
seen it replaced last year, took three dodge technicians to get it in.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Yep sure did. Hadn't been a problem until it was a problem.

I'm pretty sure it would have helped.
Well I have a brace I haven't been able to hook street tires just spin when I give it more then 2k rpms, once I had like 5 cases of water in the trunk and I could launch at 3k lol

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 RT Shaker (STP/A8/FORGED/NAPPA/NO SUNROOF)
174 Posts
Thats a good run! Good luck with the new parts.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
keeps drive shaft from coming down and causing the car to pole vault.
erh, that might be the zip ties they hold the half shafts up with while the insert the new rear center differential.
seen it replaced last year, took three dodge technicians to get it in.
Yea I think its the latter:
From the Chilton manual:

·
Super Moderator
15,088 Posts
DSS makes driveshafts - the one piece units can have some vibration issues. Probably ask about that point

the diff case broke off on the mount. The Hellcat diffs are the internals that would be strengthened but the ratios are 3.70 for M6 version vs. the 3.90 the 5.7 and 392 use

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
DSS makes driveshafts - the one piece units can have some vibration issues. Probably ask about that point

the diff case broke off on the mount. The Hellcat diffs are the internals that would be strengthened but the ratios are 3.70 for M6 version vs. the 3.90 the 5.7 and 392 use
My one piece aluminum DDS driveshaft was guaranteed to be balanced. It's my understanding that there are no vibration problems with the aluminum ones.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I have a one piece aluminum DSS on my Scat with no issues . I just saw that OST Dyno is stocking Wiles Racing DS for our cars rather than DSS because of CV joints breaking on the DSS . many HC and Demon have had issues with the DSS. my DSS is fine at 750whp. well..so far.

·
Registered
604 Posts
What tire were you running when it broke?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm running Mickey Thompson ET Street R's. They are bias ply, 28x11.5 on 17" Racestars.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
6,773 Posts
That tool is just to protect the seals...not really needed. A diff brace does help keep the diff from bobbing up and down. FWIW I took a before vid of my diff (still need to do an after) and you can see it bounces a bit. My ride was a 2015 RT with SC and one piece prop shaft at the time of the vid.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts