Dodge Challenger Forum banner

41 - 60 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
I have two remaining issues. If you have any feedback I'd appreciate it.

Issue 1: The driver's side horizontal bolt from the diff is still screwed into the car with a piece of the old diff. This is a 21mm bolt that can only be accessed with a wrench. (so no impact) I have a 21mm wrench, but this thing won't budge. Do I just need to get a pipe to add to the wrench length?

Issue 2: Both vertical bolts snapped in two and are embedded in the cross member. I reckon I need to drill those out. Any tips on that would be welcome.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
6,773 Posts
Dude, thanks for posting the images! I plan on installing my replacement diff (original whines too much for my taste) this spring. As for the wheel cribs, I thought they were too pricey for what they are but the are so light, easy to store and so functional I now thing they were a good investment.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
6,773 Posts

Issue 1: The driver's side horizontal bolt from the diff is still screwed into the car with a piece of the old diff. This is a 21mm bolt that can only be accessed with a wrench. (so no impact) I have a 21mm wrench, but this thing won't budge. Do I just need to get a pipe to add to the wrench length?

Issue 2: Both vertical bolts snapped in two and are embedded in the cross member. I reckon I need to drill those out. Any tips on that would be welcome.
This member had a snapped craddle bolt and was able to get it out.

·
Registered
Boosted Stroked 2014 Shaker M6
2,343 Posts

Soak the bolts well with Liquid Wrench overnight. A half inch breaker bar with a quality socket will work on the one bolt. You can use an easy-out to remove the broken bolts. I do so using vise grips by slowly turning while lightly tapping with a ball peen hammer.

5Pc Screw Extractor Set Easy Out Drill Bits guide Broken Screws Bolt Remover | eBay

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Dude, thanks for posting the images! I plan on installing my replacement diff (original whines too much for my taste) this spring. As for the wheel cribs, I thought they were too pricey for what they are but the are so light, easy to store and so functional I now thing they were a good investment.
This is probably a silly question, but have you tried merely swapping out the diff oil? I picked up 2 quarts of Redline for when I change the diff oil after the 500 mile break in. One of the reviewers on Amazon was saying his diff was noisy and swapping the oil to this solved that problem.

The stuff is $20 a bottle, but its cheaper than a new diff and much less hassle.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
6,773 Posts
This is probably a silly question, but have you tried merely swapping out the diff oil? I picked up 2 quarts of Redline for when I change the diff oil after the 500 mile break in. One of the reviewers on Amazon was saying his diff was noisy and swapping the oil to this solved that problem.

View attachment 988478
The stuff is $20 a bottle, but its cheaper than a new diff and much less hassle.
Yup! Tried synthetic...heavy weight...nothing works. Soon as the diff warms up it makes an annoying pinion whine at around +45mph.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Ah well. Yea, I reckon it sounds like swapping that out might be worth it then.

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
677 Posts
One thing I wish I had done before install is rig a fixture to help hold the diff on the jack. Not at all easy to jack the jack, hold the diff and feed 2 axles in as you raise it up.... with only 2 hands. I wound up jacking the jack with my leg and taking about 2 hours to get the axles in by myself. That was the hardest part of reinstallation. If you can entice a coworker with beer, pizza and/or cash just to hold the diff still, it would be worth it.

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
677 Posts
Race888, depending on where you are located, I'd be interested in your broken diff for forensic purposes.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Updates! Thanks again to the suggestions here, I was able to get both sheared bolts out and I managed to get the broken piece off.

Sheared bolt #1 was super easy. Upon further inspection a good bit was sticking out, making vice grips an easy solution.

The other bolt was too recessed to do this. Turns out, on a whim I bought this an sale a while ago:

It is cheap and the drill bit portion is a POS. But, I had very good Kawasaki metal drill bits laying around. Used one of those to make the hole, then use the Easy Out side of the above and viola! Got that second one out.

All that's left was the bolt with the broken piece. I managed to get that as well! Attached vice grips to the piece, wrapped a towel around the handle of the wrench and literally propped my foot up against the inside of the driver's side tire. Then pulled like crazy and she came loose.

We are now technically ready for the install.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
@spoolboy first off, thanks very much for that doc you sent. It really helped on a couple of portions of removal.

Let me see if the following pics would be enough to assuage your curiosity as it pertains to any investigative inquiries:

Exhibit 1:

Exhibit 2 and 2a:

If you're desperately wanting to look at it in person, I'm in central Florida on the west coast.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
15,728 Posts
@spoolboy first off, thanks very much for that doc you sent. It really helped on a couple of portions of removal.

Let me see if the following pics would be enough to assuage your curiosity as it pertains to any investigative inquiries:

Exhibit 1:
View attachment 988493
Exhibit 2 and 2a:
View attachment 988494
View attachment 988495

If you're desperately wanting to look at it in person, I'm in central Florida on the west coast.
Well there's your problem! ;)

A Guy

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Drive shaft arrived today! I'd like to give a major shout out to the Drive Shaft Shop. When I initially called them they told me it would be approximately four weeks on a new DS. Well, I must have had the Drive Shaft gods looking favorably upon me because they were able to turn the order around super quickly.

Here's a shot of the new part sitting with my chief mechanic:

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
15,728 Posts
So it's been Lab tested then...

A Guy

·
Registered
5,493 Posts
One thing I wish I had done before install is rig a fixture to help hold the diff on the jack. Not at all easy to jack the jack, hold the diff and feed 2 axles in as you raise it up.... with only 2 hands. I wound up jacking the jack with my leg and taking about 2 hours to get the axles in by myself. That was the hardest part of reinstallation. If you can entice a coworker with beer, pizza and/or cash just to hold the diff still, it would be worth it.
or get a buddy who wants to swap his diff and just line them up next to each other. 2nd one gets done in 1/2 the time, every time!

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
15,728 Posts
If you also have a cat, get a Cat Scan...

A Guy

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
And my diff just got here! I'd like to take another moment and give a huge thank you to @stevewhite. He helped make sure I was ordering the correct parts and got me a very good price.

Now I need to figure out how to hoist that thing so I can do this myself...

Here are some pics of the old and new diffs. There are some differences, but nothing major.

The angle is kind of bad in this shot. From this side the two look identical.

Note the added structure after the drive shaft. Surprised to see that there and not some increases in the horizontal bolt attachment points.

41 - 60 of 92 Posts