Dodge Challenger Forum banner

61 - 80 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Update: Well boys, I wish I had better news. My driver's side axle is making hissing noises every time I move it around. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that's probably not good. If I'm going to replace them with performance parts, I need to determine if the main ones will fit on a 5.7 RT.

Specifically:

and

Neither lists RT's. I know my brakes aren't the same as HC's etc. I'll be calling today to see what they say.

Side note: spoolboy is very correct. I tried using my jack and a piece of MDF board and technically it worked, but the diff fell more than once. Twice gently and once hard enough to make me wince. It's just not worth it. I'm looking into getting a trans jack. In for a penny, in for a pound.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
15,728 Posts

A Guy

·
Registered
Boosted Stroked 2014 Shaker M6
2,343 Posts
Update: Well boys, I wish I had better news. My driver's side axle is making hissing noises every time I move it around. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that's probably not good. If I'm going to replace them with performance parts, I need to determine if the main ones will fit on a 5.7 RT.

Specifically:

and

Neither lists RT's. I know my brakes aren't the same as HC's etc. I'll be calling today to see what they say.

Side note: spoolboy is very correct. I tried using my jack and a piece of MDF board and technically it worked, but the diff fell more than once. Twice gently and once hard enough to make me wince. It's just not worth it. I'm looking into getting a trans jack. In for a penny, in for a pound.
The splines on the axles are different on each Challenger model. I'd recommend DDS rear axles if you want performance parts.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
I know these axles will fit in the diff because the stock diff is the same in my car as it is in the Hellcat. I'm worried about the wheel hub. I've got an email sent to both companies. We'll see what they come back with.

·
Registered
Boosted Stroked 2014 Shaker M6
2,343 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
I'm sure everyone was on pins and needles waiting for the answer to the axle question. Answer: they'll fit.

I've gone ahead and pulled the trigger on the DSS ones. They did me right on the drive shaft. May as well follow through with them on this.

My wallet and I are no longer on speaking terms, but once I get all this put back together Daisy's rear end will be pretty rock solid.

As an aside, I now realize I could have answered this question myself. Steve White Motors to the rescue again. If you do a search on the hub assembly for both the Hellcat and the RT, you'll find that like the diff they are both the same part.

I'll let y'all know once they get here.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
15,728 Posts
I'm sure you were very unhappy when it happened, but sounds like you were aware it was possible. It also sounds like you will be very happy (if not poor) when you're done (y)

A Guy

·
Registered
20 Posts
Not trying too cause further damage to your wallet but cradle lockouts & solid diff bushings would ensure everything stays in place.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Not trying too cause further damage to your wallet but cradle lockouts & solid diff bushings would ensure everything stays in place.
Wallet aside, I agree with the sentiment. However, looking over the installation steps on the BMR site...oof. Both of those mods involve cutting into suspension components. I'm going to see how we do with the diff brace for now. If I decide to go really big HP in the future, I'll definitely look into this more closely.

·
Super Moderator
15,088 Posts

Specifically:

and

definitely want to use a transmission jack - those diffs are very heavy, just for the center section its well over 100#

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
Yep, I picked one up this weekend. I have the diff strapped to it now and it is already so much nicer to deal with.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Drive shaft arrived today! I'd like to give a major shout out to the Drive Shaft Shop. When I initially called them they told me it would be approximately four weeks on a new DS. Well, I must have had the Drive Shaft gods looking favorably upon me because they were able to turn the order around super quickly.

I'm jealous! I put my order in with DSS for a new driveshaft before Christmas and I'm still waiting :(

·
Registered
20 Posts
I don’t have all my stuff installed yet, just waiting for spring.
I’ll update when it’s done. Good luck with your repairs

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
15,728 Posts

A Guy

61 - 80 of 92 Posts