Dodge Challenger Forum banner

81 - 92 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Update!

It has been quite the ride and I'm not quite finished, but the hard part is definitely behind me. The new diff is reinstalled, the axles are in and the drive shaft is in place!

Learned an enormous amount doing this. There were definitely moments, particularly when trying to put the diff back in, where I was cursing at myself for not just paying somebody to do this for me.

@ChallyTatum if you're going to do a diff swap, I highly recommend you follow spoolboy's advice and get a dang trans jack. Getting the thing back in was still difficult, but that jack made it possible. I would suggest getting this Harbor Freight one. This assumes you don't already have one. In which case let this be additional confirmation for others looking to do this!

It worked fine and allowed the use of my regular floor jack. A trans jack conversion for a floor jack would not have given me that option. Plus, now I'm going to use it as a roll-y shop stool!

Oh, and it is also working well in getting the exhaust put back in. I'm having difficulty getting the ends to slide all the way into the mid cat portion. Having the trans jack as a base that raises and lowers has been nice. Really hoping to finish that this afternoon.

Once that's done I'm going to swap the oil and then finally (finally!) take her out for a drive. It's been about a full month and I can't wait to see what it feels like.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
6,773 Posts
I found heating the exhaust with a propane torch makes it a little easier to take the pipes off and slip them on.

·
Registered
2018 Dodge Challenger T/A Plus in Yellow Jacket w/5.7L and A8 automatic
833 Posts
@Race888
Did the new rear differential come filled with axle fluid....or did you have to add it?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
It came with diff fluid in it. It had little yellow caps on the axle holes.

@ChallyTatum I heated the female end with a heat gun but I still wasn't able to get them together yet. Is there some form of lube I could use or is that a no no?

·
Registered
Boosted Stroked 2014 Shaker M6
2,343 Posts
It came with diff fluid in it. It had little yellow caps on the axle holes.

@ChallyTatum I heated the female end with a heat gun but I still wasn't able to get them together yet. Is there some form of lube I could use or is that a no no?
Not a heat gun, use a torch, and only on the female connection...

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
Well lads, I got her put back together. I cheated on the exhaust. I have Kooks high flow cats, so just took those off and easily got the main exhaust hooked to those then put the mids back in.

I’m keeping her on jacks until tomorrow when I’ll change the oil then take her out.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
Another Update: Got the oil changed and finally took her off jack stands. Man, that was a good feeling!

Good news, bad news and some thoughts.

The good news is the code that was showing for the active exhaust being unhooked went away. I kinda thought it would, but seeing a CEL go away is always nice.

The bad news is the ABS/traction control light has come on and its telling me to get it serviced. I did a quick stop test and the ABS is definitely not on.

The DSS axles do require to move the ABS tone rings from the old axles to the new ones. I did this. I'm going to do a little research and see if there's anything I can do. Really would rather not take it to a dealer if I can help it.

And some thoughts. Taking it for a quick ride she does feel a little different. At 80 there is a very slight difference in tone. I wouldn't go so far as to call it a vibration, but I can tell there's a difference. I'm supposed to give the new diff a 500 mile break in period, so I'm foregoing any "spirited" driving for now.

If anyone has suggestions on the ABS thing I'd appreciate it. I'm thrilled to have her back together, but we're not quite out of woods.

·
Registered
Boosted Stroked 2014 Shaker M6
2,343 Posts
Another Update: Got the oil changed and finally took her off jack stands. Man, that was a good feeling!

Good news, bad news and some thoughts.

The good news is the code that was showing for the active exhaust being unhooked went away. I kinda thought it would, but seeing a CEL go away is always nice.

The bad news is the ABS/traction control light has come on and its telling me to get it serviced. I did a quick stop test and the ABS is definitely not on.

The DSS axles do require to move the ABS tone rings from the old axles to the new ones. I did this. I'm going to do a little research and see if there's anything I can do. Really would rather not take it to a dealer if I can help it.

And some thoughts. Taking it for a quick ride she does feel a little different. At 80 there is a very slight difference in tone. I wouldn't go so far as to call it a vibration, but I can tell there's a difference. I'm supposed to give the new diff a 500 mile break in period, so I'm foregoing any "spirited" driving for now.

If anyone has suggestions on the ABS thing I'd appreciate it. I'm thrilled to have her back together, but we're not quite out of woods.
If you're old enough, you learned to drive without ABS, so if the brakes work, you're fine. I once had a Chevy Tahoe that I disabled the ABS on because it wouldn't stop me quickly enough.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Glad to hear things are moving forward. I would imagine there is going to be an increase in NVH with a one piece aluminum driveshaft. Im sure the performance benefits will be worth it.

·
Registered
2018 Dodge Challenger T/A Plus in Yellow Jacket w/5.7L and A8 automatic
833 Posts
@Race888

You really need to pull the code and see what is the source of the CEL. At least if you get it narrowed down to perhaps the L/R or R/R, that will go a long way in saving some troubleshooting time.

It could be as easy as an actual bad sensor or a pin within a connector not seated properly.

·
Vendor
7 Posts
@Race888

You really need to pull the code and see what is the source of the CEL. At least if you get it narrowed down to perhaps the L/R or R/R, that will go a long way in saving some troubleshooting time.

It could be as easy as an actual bad sensor or a pin within a connector not seated properly.
This is the only way. You need to pull codes so you can diagnose it. It can be something as easy as a connector, or it can be the tone rings.

81 - 92 of 92 Posts