Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Didn't think I would have to worry about breaking a rear coupler bolt running just bolt-ons and a tune...but oh well.

Can anyone confirm if 68052356AA is the right replacement part no.? The bolt that sheared has the star head. Separately, does anyone have torque specs?

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
Triz,

I think I know the bolt, but could you take a picture of where it mounted?

The part number I found is: 06507089AA. BOLT, Hex Head, M14x2.00x120.00

It is the biggest bolt under there and probably at least 75 lb-ft un-lubed. See my picture.

Green Man

Attachments

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks Green Man. Its actually the bolt that goes in the rear flex plate attaching the driveline to the getrag. The picture below is not my car, but close. This person has replaced OEM bolts with the higher strength pink ones, but is reflective of the location of the broken bolt.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
The stronger pink bolts are #68052356AA and the nuts are #6509429AA.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The stronger pink bolts are #68052356AA and the nuts are #6509429AA.

Thanks Cuda. Spent some time with the parts department today and indeed those are the correct number for the pink bolts.

For anyone looking in the future, the OEM bolts that come on the RTs (mine is a '13) is #0650996AA and the nuts #06509330AA. Torque spec is 72 ft. lbs. These are not sold in a kit but individually. Speaking with the tech if you like hard launches and hard driving you may end up replacing one or two of these.

·
Registered
2009 Challenger R/T
2,991 Posts
Welcome to the club! Though mine didn't shear until after I put a higher stall converter in (around 100k or so).

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
Triz,

When I had my rear end upgraded, they replaced all three of the pink bolts with new ones. The nut can be reused, but the threads on the bolts have a locking coating and are a one time use. See images.

Confirmed the bolt kit (68052356AA) and nuts (06509330AA) cost $15.43 from the dealer.

I looked at the head of the bolt and it says SFT 14. It is a 12mm bolt, 110mm long. Pitch is 1.25mm.

I don't know what grade a 14 is, but it can be replaced with a 10.9 grade bolt (grade 8 equivalent). But the pitch is coarser (1.75mm). That bolt can be bought at McMaster-Carr McMaster-Carr Pack of 5 for $9.11+shipping.

Good Luck,

Green Man

Attachments

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Triz,

When I had my rear end upgraded, they replaced all three of the pink bolts with new ones. The nut can be reused, but the threads on the bolts have a locking coating and are a one time use. See images.

Confirmed the bolt kit (68052356AA) and nuts (06509330AA) cost $15.43 from the dealer.

I looked at the head of the bolt and it says SFT 14. It is a 12mm bolt, 110mm long. Pitch is 1.25mm.

I don't know what grade a 14 is, but it can be replaced with a 10.9 grade bolt (grade 8 equivalent). But the pitch is coarser (1.75mm). That bolt can be bought at McMaster-Carr McMaster-Carr Pack of 5 for $9.11+shipping.

Good Luck,

Green Man
Thanks Green Man. I'm definitely saving this thread. I went ahead and put the original bolt replacement back in, but if I can shear one off with just a custom tune and 255s in the rear the pink bolts are likely in my future.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Curious how you found that it was broken. Vibration, visual inspection? I have been known to crawl under her just because she's that cool. :icon_wink:

Reactions: ghostrt

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Curious how you found that it was broken. Vibration, visual inspection? I have been known to crawl under her just because she's that cool. :icon_wink:
I came around my favorite corner on the way home and gunned it and heard a pop. Then the rear started vibrating whenever I got over 40 mph. When I got to a stoplight I heard a "clank" on the pavement (which I found out later was the nut falling down).

When I got home I put the car on ramps and the head of the bolt was sticking out just slightly. If that thing had fallen out I'm not sure I would have noticed it was gone. In fact I was focusing on the rear suspension and not the driveline. Just dumb luck I found it.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Didn't think I would have to worry about breaking a rear coupler bolt running just bolt-ons and a tune...but oh well.

Can anyone confirm if 68052356AA is the right replacement part no.? The bolt that sheared has the star head. Separately, does anyone have torque specs?
Well I think I might have just broke mine too, running just a tune, I turned OFF Traction control, was in Sport Mode and AutoStick and shifted at full throttle with Tach hitting 5500 and heard a good long chirp followed by instant vibration!!! It only vibrated at 50 MPH and over so I am taking it to a lift and see what's going on. Will report back.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Staying tuned for your findings!

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I think I might have just broke mine too, running just a tune, I turned OFF Traction control, was in Sport Mode and AutoStick and shifted at full throttle with Tach hitting 5500 and heard a good long chirp followed by instant vibration!!! It only vibrated at 50 MPH and over so I am taking it to a lift and see what's going on. Will report back.
This is exactly what mine did.

·
Registered
2015 SRT8
161 Posts
Ditto for me. Mine broke driving down the highway around 70-75mph. Slowed down to under 40 and limped her into the dealer. Everything was covered under warranty, but why aren't the pink bolts standard equipment Dodge?!

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Props to you guys for driving them right! I'm still learnin' I guess, but I have been tryin'. :sneaky:

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Ditto for me. Mine broke driving down the highway around 70-75mph.
Just driving down the road it broke? If so it was probably already broke and picked that time to come apart and start vibrating.
I can't get access to my buddy's lift until Sun. afternoon so I may just use ramps tomorrow morning and check it out.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Well here is mine!!! Looks like just 1 bolt broke, they seem to be breaking in the threads, this is a weak point, it looks like the bolt could be redesigned to have less threaded area but I think the big problem is the bolt is a loose fit in the hole, this is letting the bolt flex a little on every hard shift and with the holes being too big for the bolts and the bolts being torqued tight I think 1 bolt is carrying all the load. I'm a machinist and just might make my own bolts out of some good material. But now the problem is getting out the remaining broken bolt and nut, it won't come out because it hits the rear and you can't get a wrench on the other end!!! I guess I could hold the nut and hacksaw it off but I may just have the dealer deal with it as it's still under warranty. Here are the pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
WOW im surprised these are breaking.I have a few questions?
Are these on RTs only,
are they on breaking on auto or manual or both
and are the stronger pink ones an SRT part #???

·
Registered
2009 R/T
1,371 Posts
Triz,

Good Luck,

Green Man
??????

1 - 20 of 29 Posts