Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine rebuild a 360 V8 for his '70 Dart. He and I have been building Mopar engines for many years, so I do not doubt that he built it correctly. It was a 30 over block, forged pistons, Eagle 4" stroker crank, for 408 inches. I think he was making around 450 hp plus a 100 hp nitrous kit, used on the dragstrip.

He had about 3000 miles on the engine, when the front of the crank broke. In the section that connects the #1 main to the first pair of rod journals. It didn't seem to damage anything else, aside from a couple little nicks in the bottom edge of one piston skirt.

I looked at the broken crank, and there certainly does not seem to be a lot of metal connecting the main to the rod journals, between the huge hole drilled to get the thing internally balanced, and the taper ground into it, presumably to save weight. I never heard of a factory crank breaking like this.

Here is a photo. After I put this issue on Google and looked for 3 minutes, it seems these cheap Chinese cranks are known for this.

Do not use Eagle cranks or rods in your next build!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
When I had my 408 built I asked about eagle and my builder said no way. He had experience with them before. I can't remember the part but he ordered a bunch of the same components and measured them individually and he said they were all over the place. Not a single one measured the same. The price is attractive but so glad he steered me away. I have since seen many people experience problems with eagle parts.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
781 Posts
Yep, you get what you pay for.

Nitrous....whenever I hear of people having an issue with an engine that had nitrous on it, I put it in the same category as people who tell you their sob story of something that happened when they were drunk or on drugs.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts