Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got done pulling off my drivers side door panel to change the broken weatherstrip that some of us are blessed to have. First off, I want to thank AirmanPika for posting a speaker replacement thread as this was what I used to pull the panel off. Great post as it's clear on how to do this.

Second thing-the kit is part # 68071960AA you get both sides. Cost is 15.98 + tax.

What's really interesting is that on the instructions it states to re-staple the moulding EVERY 3" and at BOTH ends. Originally, there are only 8 staples, and funny enough, there was 12" between staples where mine broke in half.

Maybe that"s why it broke but to honest, this moulding is Plastic and all my other cars have a pliable rubber feel to it.

Dino

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The dealership in my area only does this on certain days and none were days that I have the time to drop it off and arrange to pick it up. It was within my skills and thanks to the instructions, it was easy.

Actually it was kinda fun and now I know in the future how to upgrade my speakers if I need to.

Dino

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I used a regular household stapler. Make sure the staples are 1/4" so they don't go in to far. The ones I pulled out were this size. You have to flip the stapler open and then press hard to make the staple go in properly. A few didn't so you do it until it's right.

Another reason I'm glad I did it myself is I know it is done right. I wonder how many techs will just staple the same amount as before rather than do it accordingly to the new instructions.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I did mine last fall using the same thread you did. I also noticed the new versus the old number of staples. SRT8tech here suggests that they will fail again and he actually glues them in place and he feels that may provide some small movement to prevent future cracks. If mine fail again that is the approach I will take.

·
Premium Member
362 Posts
When I did the driver side last year. I did not re staple or glue it back as it can't go anywhere once the panel is back on. Mine was not cracked but had some weird markings on. The dealer was kind enough to give me replacements when I brought them the old one back.

·
Premium Member
3,553 Posts
Did you guys have any problems with your windows after the change? I've heard of people after the dealership pulls the panel to repair something else they have problems with that window dropping down and going up when you open and shut the door and haveing to go back and get that fixed.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
The only problem I had was the driver's window switch came apart on me and scattered teensy bits on the ground. I was attempting to unlatch the connector and the bottom half of the switch popped out. I spent about an hour figuring out how the little bits went back in there......:lol:

I DID NOT disconnect the battery as the service manual tells you to do, for just about anything you do to the car other than gassing it...:lol:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts