Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Gang-

I've noticed the BT catch can has an optional fender bracket. Is there a pro/con for having it mounted this way? Or is the other way better? I think I'm going to be ordering one so I'd like to see what you all think. After that I'll have to decide what color ha.

·
Super Moderator
14,139 Posts
The fender bracket just gives you more clearance to unscrew the catch can. When I purchased my catch can two years' ago, a fender mount was not an option. I would have bought it for my car to make the maintenance of the can easier.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the 3.5 SE and this would be my first addition to the engine. I wanted a little more than looks and figured the catch can works on my budget till the tax return ha. So the fender mount mount basically makes it easier. Good to know.

·
Super Moderator
14,139 Posts
I have the 3.5 SE and this would be my first addition to the engine. I wanted a little more than looks and figured the catch can works on my budget till the tax return ha. So the fender mount mount basically makes it easier. Good to know.

You may also want to get advice from someone who has a 3.5. With the 6.1, there is very little clearance to unscrew the can with the engine mounting location. A 3.5 may have a little more room, so you may not need a fender mount bracket.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ohh ok Thanks Cuda! Yea that would also save me an additional $25 bucks!

Any SE owners out there that have the catch can with the fender bracket? Or is the standard bracket ok?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Like to know the answer to this myself! Thinking about a BT catch can for my SXT...

·
Registered
616 Posts
I had a fender-mounted BT can, but had to ditch it because my engine kept throwing a code. BT even sent a replacement can, in case there was a problem with the first one, but I had the same code. BT checked both cans; no problems with them.

I don't know if it was because of the extra length of the hoses, or if I just have a touchy engine. Anyway, I'm resigned to living without a catch can.

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
I ordered a BT catch can (purple anodized) this AM. Decided to go with the Z-bracket (also purple anodized). Looks like it gives the can enough room to drain without too much trouble. While I realize I won't get it in time for CF2, I should get it around the same time my ARH arrive, so I can custom tune for 93 octane without less risk of Knock retardation..

Just like I did with the Ram SRT10, I'm going to design, and assemble my own SS braided SS hoses with AN6 fittings throughout. Will require tapping threads in the intake, but that's a cake walk compared to what I've done with the Ram..

Will post photos when I get it all together.

For the record, when I spoke to them, they are currently running a group buy for the clear bottoms, so anyone with a billet bottom wanting to upgrade to a clear see-through bottom should call them to get in on it. Personally, I decided to stick with the standard billet bottom.

·
Super Moderator
14,139 Posts
If anyone wants to buy ready-made stainless steel hoses and fittings, you can get them from BMC, one of our vendors.

·
Banned
1,508 Posts
I had a fender-mounted BT can, but had to ditch it because my engine kept throwing a code. BT even sent a replacement can, in case there was a problem with the first one, but I had the same code. BT checked both cans; no problems with them.

I don't know if it was because of the extra length of the hoses, or if I just have a touchy engine. Anyway, I'm resigned to living without a catch can.

FWIW BT sells an average of 5-10 of these brackets a month. All w/o issue. Yours was definitely a weird scenario ...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts