Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Up here on the west coast of Canada there is a lot of Hellcats for sale new and used. The prices have plummeted and there is a lot of cars available. Nobody is buying. The insurance rates are high and the taxes on new cars is high too. So I think the bubble has burst on these cars. I know people who paid in 2015 $90,000 +, Cnd, can't get their cars sold for $60,000 with very low km. People who bought 2017 for $85,000 plus tax are selling for $69,000 if they can sell them. Dealers don't want them. They have become a hard sell. Dodge just made to many of them and has flooded the market. Maybe I am wrong but that is what the market up here is telling me. I guess I am stuck with my 2016 Hellcat. I have had mine in dry storage since July with only 1000 km on it. Big mistake to buy it.

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack Shaker
634 Posts
Low usage for a 2016, did you purchase the Hellcat as an investment?

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Manufacturers are expert marketers. Every one of the big three used the romance of the original rare muscle cars and sold the idea of rarity to the masses. You may as well drive the piss out of your car and enjoy it. It's just another production vehicle.

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
694 Posts
I’m seeing the same thing around the US midwest.

When I bought my ScatPack in October a search returned over 30 brand new 2016 Hellcat Challengers within 200 miles on Dodge lots. 2018s had started shipping in August. So there were 2016s, and 2017s already sitting.

There are only so many people who can afford a $70k vehicle that is as limited in use as a Hellcat.

$70k SUVs and Trucks at least are more useful.

I would DD a Hellcat, but didn’t even have $50k to spend on the cheaper ones I was finding.

·
Registered
2015 R/T
494 Posts
Drive it If you bought for an investment a couple of yrs wont give you the return you were looking for it might take 20 yrs before that happens. Car makers are in the business to market and sale cars they dont worry about value after the sale. Back in the 70's they didnt worry about what a Challenger would sell for in 2017.

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
Up here on the west coast of Canada there is a lot of Hellcats for sale new and used. The prices have plummeted and there is a lot of cars available. Nobody is buying. The insurance rates are high and the taxes on new cars is high too. So I think the bubble has burst on these cars. I know people who paid in 2015 $90,000 +, Cnd, can't get their cars sold for $60,000 with very low km. People who bought 2017 for $85,000 plus tax are selling for $69,000 if they can sell them. Dealers don't want them. They have become a hard sell. Dodge just made to many of them and has flooded the market. Maybe I am wrong but that is what the market up here is telling me. I guess I am stuck with my 2016 Hellcat. I have had mine in dry storage since July with only 1000 km on it. Big mistake to buy it.
My local dealer spits out 2018 Hellcats for $62k. $69k for Widebody.

·
Premium Member
2,993 Posts
If you have it in storage in the middle of the summer, then yes it was a big mistake to buy it. Mine doesn't get a lot of miles but I drove it several times this week.

·
Super Moderator
15,381 Posts
There's a glut of 'Cats - with so many slightly used on the market and demand for new peaked in '16 MY.

The feeding frenzy ran high in '15, peaked in the next year and leveled off. The price point > $60k is the limiting factor.
-many that probably flip through cars did their thing and there's no shortage of resale units.

After all, FCA is building new 'Cats currently - its not like they built just a couple of years and then cut it off.
These aren't "collector cars" if more new ones keep being built - look at those low / no mile '08 SRTs...what are they going for now? Slightly more than a typical used model from the same year.

You'll see a run on '19 'Vette ZR1s and they "gotta have it now" crowd will snap these up, thinking they have the next B-J auction "gold". They' pay big $$ over MSRP and then it will level off.
- with the price of that, the numbers will be low and GM will keep building them until they decide the volume is too low to keep producing them.
- Z06 models in that line will outsell ZR1s, mainly due to the price differential. And the Grand Sport models sell in volume since you can get much of the Z06 performance parts w/o the high spend.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Drive it If you bought for an investment a couple of yrs wont give you the return you were looking for it might take 20 yrs before that happens...
Not even close. He lost money the minute he drove it off the lot and will continue too, these are not investment cars and 20 years won’t change that. He’s really loosing his shorts if not even driving it.

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
694 Posts
The closest modern automobiles that you can use for comparison are the Terminator Mustangs, but those weren't as plentiful.

See also:

Buick Grand National & T-Type
GMC Sy/Ty trucks

These are modern(ish) vehicles that have a cult following and continue to rise in value if condition is good. I'm not sure many of them are selling for more than the original purchase price though.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi. I certainly didn't buy it as an investment, I have better ways to do that. It was purely a spur of the moment purchase. A friend took me out in his Hellcat, the power was intoxicating, so the next day I went out and bought one. Big Big mistake. Whilst the power is amazing, the handling is not. I got bored of it all too quickly. I tried trading it in but dealers offered me peanuts, $10,000 less than I paid, and I got what was at the time a good deal. I have tried to sell it privately but no interest. The problem selling privately people can't get dealership financing. So I am stuck with it for now. I have other vehicles to drive over the winter.

·
Super Moderator
15,381 Posts
Hi. I certainly did't buy it as an investment, I have better ways to do that. It was purely a spur of the moment purchase. A friend took me out in his Hellcat, the power was intoxicating, so the next day I went out and bought one. Big Big mistake. Whilst the power is amazing, the handling is not. I got bored of it all to quickly. I tried trading it in but dealers offered me peanuts, $10,000 less than I paid, and I got what was at the time a good deal. I have tried to sell it privately but no interest. The problem selling privately people can't get dealership financing. So I am stuck with it for now. I have other vehicles to drive over the winter.
that's often the issue with late model vehicles, especially when you're over $25K selling price - buyers with good credit than can do the deal become a smaller pool to get financing on used vehicles.
-then you get the low-ball offers that are hunting for desperation sellers...

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
694 Posts
Your HC value won’t likely improve anytime soon.

If you want out, get out now. It’s not going to get better with the wide-bodies and Demons showing up on dealer lots.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Here in Raleigh the dealer where I purchased my SPS has a 2017 6spd HC for $65k brand spanking new. He's been calling me for a year now but I told him the insurance cost is crazy and not worth it. They have a 2018 8spd HC widebody for $72k. They also had a 2017 red HC 6spd with like 8k (dealer miles) miles for under $60K.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Your HC value won’t likely improve anytime soon.

If you want out, get out now. It’s not going to get better with the wide-bodies and Demons showing up on dealer lots.
Your correct that's why I have had it listed for sale. However like I said they aren't selling. As for 2018 wide bodies and Demons, we haven't got any up here yet. You have to order them, dealers aren't stocking them.
There are far too many new and used 2016 and 2017 with some over priced used 2015 on car lots around the Province.

·
Registered
9,351 Posts

Bigger mistake not driving it.

Get it out and enjoy it. No sense being concerned what they are selling for now.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Trade it in on a new 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk.

I am pretty sure the Dealership will give you a decent trade-in on your Hellcat, but don't expect the same kindness on the price of the Trackhawk. lol

1 - 20 of 46 Posts