Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm searching for a 6.4L, looking at the crate package and long block options, and even looking at used. I have discovered that the 6.4l out of the truck is jsut about half the price of the 6.4l SRT (used). So I started doing research on the differences. I don't have data from what I would consider actual relable sources, but as it stands now I think it would be a good route to grab a 6.4.l from a truck and throw a supercharger on it. Still doing the research so I thought I would throw this out here just incase someone here is interested in this post and has the knowledge to help confirm what I have found so far which is listed below.

- The block has cooling ports that travel lower in the casting over the SRT verson
- The heads are what they call Big Gas Heads, which have the same cc as the Apache heads 73.4cc, but are made of t356 which is the same material as the hellcat heads. The BGE supposedly flow just as good if not - - better than Apache heads.
- The pistons are different, not sure if they are forged and provide a lower comp ratio at 10:1 vs the SRT at 10.9:1.
- Nothing on the crank as of yet
- Cam is ground for low-mid range power

High-level list
- 4k for used 6.4 (truck) with 30k on it
- 500 for a hellcat cam/springs
- 7k for the super charger
- 500-700 for a PCM

~600hp reliable engine for ~12k

·
Vendor
12,934 Posts
Challenger 2011
the truck engine and cylinder heads known as the big gas engine or BGE uses the same block and heads as the Hellcat, or should we say, the Hellcat borrowed the block and head from the BGE truck engines, differences the HC blocks is honed using a deck plate and painted orange versus black, same block, same heads,

the BGE block and heads is currently the best engine block and head combo to build a high horsepower engine in my opinion

our forged 392's short block start with a brand new BGE block.....no core value

https://www.stevewhiteparts.com/ste...ort-block-high-boost-swm392forged?parent=1003

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
961 Posts
I too would like to see what's going on with a 6.4 truck engine piston.

The crank is forged just like a 6.4 car engine.

Rods?

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the truck engine and cylinder heads known as the big gas engine or BGE uses the same block and heads as the Hellcat, or should we say, the Hellcat borrowed the block and head from the BGE truck engines, differences the HC blocks is honed using a deck plate and painted orange versus black, same block, same heads,

the BGE block and heads is currently the best engine block and head combo to build a high horsepower engine in my opinion

our forged 392's short block start with a brand new BGE block.....no core value

https://www.stevewhiteparts.com/ste...ort-block-high-boost-swm392forged?parent=1003
Thank you for the info.. I don't think the people that are selling these truck engines realize what they have. Better grab one now before word get's out and they hike the prices. I"m glad I stumbled across it.

Do you offer the Cha1 discount on your SCs?

·
Vendor
12,934 Posts
Thank you for the info.. I don't think the people that are selling these truck engines realize what they have. Better grab one now before word get's out and they hike the prices. I"m glad I stumbled across it.

Do you offer the Cha1 discount on your SCs?
yes, we typically honor it, but must be a bank transfer to save the paypal fees of 4%
Luke

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
Luke, is it true that the '18+ 392 Challengers come from the factory with the BGE blocks?

I was just told that they do, but I didn't know this, overlooked it, or just heard a line of BS.

Hmmm

·
Vendor
12,934 Posts
Luke, is it true that the '18+ 392 Challengers come from the factory with the BGE blocks?

I was just told that they do, but I didn't know this, overlooked it, or just heard a line of BS.

Hmmm
we are pretty sure they are, but have not had any out to confirm, one of associate vendor, told us the one they pull was a bge block
Luke

·
Registered
10,156 Posts

Hmmm
we are pretty sure they are, but have not had any out to confirm, one of associate vendor, told us the one they pull was a bge block
Luke

Thanks. Guess that FCA never really came out and used this info in any marketing for the '18+ cars.

Again, I may have missed this tidbit. Just been too busy enjoying my '16 SP. LOL

1 - 18 of 18 Posts