Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
TL
R - looking for tire recommendations that are as good or better performance than stock Goodyear’s but also cost less.

Just got a screw in a rear tire on my 2018 RT with scat pack 20”x9”wheels. It’s right on the inside edge just I’ve been told by a friend cannot be fixed and I’ll need new tires. I’m kinda on a budget, I could afford the stock tires but I’d sorta like to spend less, unless there are some that are way better performance for the same price. I live in AZ so summer tires are definitely an option. Also open to wider tires, heard something about 275/40’s I think a while back when I wasn’t looking for tires.

Here’s a pic of the screw
https://imgur.com/a/Na288Aq

And some pics of the car so you know what wheels I mean.
https://imgur.com/gallery/eequV

Thanks!

Edit - thanks for all the help. I ended up getting 2 Firestone Firehawk Indy 500’s for the rears in 275/40/20 for $170 each. They are a whole new level of grippy over the stock Goodyear’s!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
12 Posts
I like the Atturo AZ850 in 275/40/20. You can order them from simpletire.com & have them shipped straight to your door. They grip, wear & preform well. They also do great burnouts on my scat pack and are affordable to replace. ?

If you're on a super tight budget, you could just get two of them, place them on the rear, take your two best remaining tires to put on the front to have a staggered look. Try them out. I like them IMHO.

Just remember...you always buy tires like you buy shoes. At least a pair. Never buy just one shoe ?

·
Registered
629 Posts
I would feel comfortable with putting a Safety Seal plug in that one.

If you're not, Firestone Firehawk Indy 500s are good and surprisingly affordable.

·
Premium Member
2018 Dodge Challenger T/A Plus in Yellow Jacket w/5.7L and A8 automatic
1,859 Posts
@Dizman7
Have you verified that the tire is losing air, either by the TPMS readings or by spraying a soapy solution around the screw?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@Dizman7
Have you verified that the tire is losing air, either by the TPMS readings or by spraying a soapy solution around the screw?
Yea the TPMS last night said I was at 23psi (when the other 3 were at 32psi) and then this morning it said it was 12psi. So it’s definitely leaking! Friend and I filled it up to 32psi this afternoon but haven’t driven it since but I imagine it’ll be down a good 10+ by the time I use it tomorrow.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would feel comfortable with putting a Safety Seal plug in that one.
Really? Like one of those diy ones? I haven’t taken it to a place yet but friend said they probably won’t fix it. Friend showed me diy thing he said but said it only lasted his wife about a week.

·
Super Moderator
14,915 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack Shaker
908 Posts
I have had good results plugging many tires with similar punctures. The worst experience I have had with a very similar punctures is the repair would start to leak again in about a year. The tire was replugged and good for another year.

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
I put a set (4) of Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 on my 2014 Charger (245/45/20) very pleased on how well the tire performed. Pretty much equal to the Michelin Pilot Sports that are on my Challenger, for half the price. Dollar for dollar I don't think you can do better. Rumor has it that the Firehawk Indy's are Bridgestone Potenza RE003.. I think what ever tire you choose will work out well..

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
23,539 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Really? Like one of those diy ones? I haven’t taken it to a place yet but friend said they probably won’t fix it. Friend showed me diy thing he said but said it only lasted his wife about a week.
Yes, a DIY plug kit. But, I wrote Safety Seal (not Pep Boys, Walmart, or Family Dollar) for a reason.
If using a typical inferior plug, you might be better off leaving the screw in there.

A tire store can't really recommend a plug, for a couple of reasons. One being that an actual repair requires putting a patch on the inside, and your tire's injury is not in a good place for that.

So while a Safety Seal plug isn't a repair from a legal standpoint, I've used them successfully over the years on all kinds of vehicles. And some of those plug fixes are over 20 years old by now.

·
Registered
629 Posts
@Dizman7
Good point. It may be as simple as removing the screw and hope it didn't penetrate too far.
I'd seal the hole with something, though, in case it goes through to the belts.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
3,649 Posts
Based on my unfortunately considerable experience with flats that is too close to the sidewall to be repaired. Tire makers often offer guideliines as to how big the hole can be and how close it can be to the side wall. One quarter inch is the hole diameter and 2 inches from the edge of the tread is what I remember from one tire maker. Unless the tire maker for the tire in question offers something I generally go with the above.

Also, if you drove on the tire with its pressure too low this damages the tire and ruins its ability to hold air.

If there is a time to go with budget tires the time would be when all 4 tires are due to be replaced.

If you do it an axle at a time, I would be concerned about mixing tire brands (and possibly tires with different tread wear and load capacity ratings).

My advice is to replace the flat tire with one just like it. Don't know if there is anything in the owners manual regarding the allowable difference of tread depth between tires on the axle. With at least one other car maker, the maker said that tires on the same axle should not differ by more than 30% tread depth. So, barring something specific from Dodge, I would go with the 30% difference and replace both tires if the tread depth of the other good but worn tire is 30% or more worn from new.

(Just had a flat tire with my Hellcat. Tires had around 13,500 miles on them. Wear was very even from tire to tire and the front and back tires. But the tires were worn at least 30% down from new and the SA advised me to replace both rear tires and I agreed.)

(If you have the room at home you can take the worn but still good tire home and store it for just in case one of the other 2 worn tires gets a flat.)

·
Premium Member
2018 Dodge Challenger T/A Plus in Yellow Jacket w/5.7L and A8 automatic
1,859 Posts
Your friend is correct.

Due to our litigation happy society, most places will only repair a tire with a plug patch, and the puncture has to be at least as half as wide as the patch part itself away from the sidewall.

In a nutshell......if the patch overlaps into the sidewall, it just won’t hold, due to the amount of flexing in the sidewall, albeit a small amount in a 40 series tire.

You can obviously do the other repair with the string style plug, and give it a try. I’ll bet it won’t hold very well, or will still continue to lose air, obviously at a much slower rate. I’d still prefer to remove the tire from the wheel and do a visual inspection, paying reallllllly close attention if there’s any sidewall degradation inside the tire.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I’d still prefer to remove the tire from the wheel and do a visual inspection, paying reallllllly close attention if there’s any sidewall degradation inside the tire.
Yep, that's the legal and correct way to do it.
But I'll take you up on the bet that a (good and correctly installed) plug will leak.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Tires

Dizman, are you a member at Costco ? swing by there and see if they have the size of tire you need. They only carry certain sizes it seems.
I like the idea of 275/40/20 on the rear. I like the staggered look. I am writing that size down.

Check if Costco has the mounting and balancing special going on, where they mount and balance a tire for 1 cent. Make sure you can get it for two tires only.

They only seem to sell Bridgeston and Michelin. ( BF Goodrich also) but they are owned by Michelin. Talk to them and explain you don't want your wheels skinned up replacing the tires. sometimes you get someone there that knows what they are doing.

I usually just take the wheels with me, in the truck, if I know I am getting tires for the IS-350. Its just easier, the Lexus is staggered and I have had a tire place try to put rears on the front. Not cool at all !
I'm just particular with the wheels off and on, and torque of the lugnuts. Especially if you're getting two, you can keep an eye on everything.

I liked the looks of the Coopers someone posted previously. I have had good luck with Nitto's before. Recently I have been running Michelins on the Jeep, from a deal with Costco. Hope this helps,
Have a good one.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts