Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought an orbital buffer the other day and it came with a foam bonnet to apply wax and a microfiber bonnet for removal. I was wondering if I could use a microfiber bonnet to apply my wax, will it scratch the paint at all?

·
Registered
299 Posts
I've always wondered the same thing. I wouldn't trust that foam bonnet to not leave fine swirl scratches. I only wax by hand with microfiber applicators or 100% cotton t-shirts. Subscribed.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
I bought an orbital buffer the other day and it came with a foam bonnet to apply wax and a microfiber bonnet for removal. I was wondering if I could use a microfiber bonnet to apply my wax, will it scratch the paint at all?
What sort of buffer did you buy (brand/model)? Bonnets are usually intended for product removal while pads are intended for application of compounds, polishes and LSP's (last step products; sealants/waxes). However, it really depends on the machine and the pad you're talking about. Some of the "cheapie" models have a fixed pad that is really only intended for use as a backing for replaceable bonnets to fit over. Other DA's may have spindles with either fixed backing "plates" or the ability to fit varying sized ones depending on the diameter of swappable pads you are going to use.

DA's like my Porter Cable or my Flex have hook & loop on their plates so you can use the wide variety of pads on the market with velcro backing (for easy/quick changes). I should also point out that pads are not all created equal and will have varying characteristics (i.e. cut, density, shape, etc.). Some work better/different depending on what products you use with them. ....including finishing polishes, glazes and LSP's that require a gentle touch. In fact, the same goes for hand applicators (of which I usually prefer foam over MF/terry).

Having said all that, I do have pads intended for this purpose but I typically apply/remove LSP's by hand. ....only using my DA's for correction and finishing (prior to an LSP).

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
i just bought a PC 7424XP and bought three foam pads (maguires). one was for cutting (w7006), one for polishing (w8006) and one for final finishing (w9006).

I havent tried them yet

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
i just bought a PC 7424XP and bought three foam pads (maguires). one was for cutting (w7006), one for polishing (w8006) and one for final finishing (w9006).

I havent tried them yet
....the XP is supposed to be a good machine. I still have my old 7336 (same thing as the v1 7424) and it's chugging along after many years of use. Even though I bought a Flex 3401, I still use the PC for smaller areas (I can fit my 4" pads on it).

What polish(es) did you buy with it or are thinking about using? ....just curious.

·
Registered
339 Posts
My car is black and I use foam pads and the porter cable DA polisher with great results. Don't be afraid, just be sure to keep the pad free of debris. I've got several foam pads which I use on the car, actually. I use 3M finess before I wax which seems to get rid of almost if not all swirl marks and super-fine scratches. With the Porter cable unit you can bear down harder than you feel comfortable doing and still not hurt the paint one iota. Just keep the pads clean and go for it.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
im going to try this stuff out.

I also have some 3m PerfectIt. I have two bottles. Ones a cut and ones a polish but I dont remember the exact names. I'll look when I get home.

I also have this stuff I have had for about 15 years now (never used) called Liquid Ebony. It used to be the shit back in the day!

Phorum :: Auto Detailing: Secrets of the Experts :: LIQUID EBONY

Liquid Ebony.... wow, I haven't heard that name in a while. I remember a friend of mine who used to use it on a black Z28 he had a few decades ago. ....that brings back some memories (I was driving my '69 Charger at the time). :)

I still have some 3M Perfect-It and Finesse-It products in my cabinets. I really haven't touched them in a few years though. ....same with the Meg # 7 (I actually have several bottles. ....I apparently kept forgetting I had some on hand).

These days I mainly use Meguiars and Optimum polishes. Meguairs M205 (from their Professional line) has been popular since it's debut in the detailing community a couple of years ago. In fact, all of their SMAT (super micro abrasive technology) polishes regularly get rave reviews. My "go to" polishes (in order of aggressiveness) are M105, Ultimate Compound (can be found OTC) and M205. M205 is pretty versatile with decent corrective ability, a relatively long work time, relatively low dust and a nice finish. Many folks can simply use M205 for most moderate blemishes (switching to a lighter pad for final finishing) and then go straight to a wax/sealant after a wash or wipe-down. I rarely touch my M105 and like to use UC for heavier correction when needed due to its similar characteristics to M205 (some find M105 a bit finicky but I think its because they're just working it too long).

I still use and like my Optimum polishes (some of the cleanest, lowest dusting products I have ever tried), but mainly stick with the above. My next session on the Challenger I will be using my Opt Finishing polish after a few passes with the M205. ....there are a lot of new products/technologies out there now that are formulated to perform well with DA's.

·
Registered
74 Posts
On a consumer-grade random-orbital, applying product with foam, microfiber or terry bonnets is fine. If you're trying to polish, cotton tends to provide a more aggressive bite.

You are really better off removing product by hand with a cotton terry cloth or microfiber towel (depending on what works best for the product in use) because removal of product by machine can run the risk of introducing marring from the bonnet fabric bunching-up. Plus, they get filled with product too quickly and you usually have to change them, making it more trouble than it's worth.

Foam density varies greatly on commercial machine pads depending on purpose, but on a consumer orbital if they're using it for applying, it's usually with regard to a one-step cleaner wax. Microfiber could also be used for a one-step cleaner wax.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Foam density varies greatly on commercial machine pads depending on purpose, but on a consumer orbital if they're using it for applying, it's usually with regard to a one-step cleaner wax. Microfiber could also be used for a one-step cleaner wax.
....I guess it can depend on what you mean by "consumer orbital", but there are pads available from companies like Lake Country for specific application of waxes/sealants (ie. for use hook & loop backing plates on common oribital/DA machines like the PC7424/XP, Griots 6", Meguiars G110, Flex 3401, etc.).

·
Registered
812 Posts
I love my 7424xp. Ihave a full assortment of Lake County pads which provides great results. The pictures in the SRT folder in my photobucket link was taken after using LG polish with a top finish of Griots sealant.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Kean, you seem to be pretty knowledgeable yourself on this issue. Have you ever used the Menzerna product line? I'm thinking of trying their micro polish PO85RD with their Top Inspection.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Kean, you seem to be pretty knowledgeable yourself on this issue. Have you ever used the Menzerna product line? I'm thinking of trying their micro polish PO85RD with their Top Inspection.
…I tend to spend too much time on detailing forums. ;)

I never did get around to trying Menzerna polishes but they are still the “cat’s meow” with many folks even though they also use other products (like the popular M205). IIRC, 85rd is more of a finishing polish. How effective it is on blemishes will depend on their severity and the hardness of the paint itself and how it is applied (it’s more effective with a rotary but you can still use it with a DA). 106ff is supposed to have more corrective ability but finishes out similarly to 85rd. ….both contain diminishing abrasives that break down as you work the product.

With polishes, I usually just use an IPA (isopropyl alcohol) solution to wipe down polished sections as I go (to make sure there are no blemishes being masked by carrier oils, etc. in the product). Some use prep solvent, etc. Top Inspection is supposed to do this for you as well although I have never tried it myself.

·
Registered
112 Posts

…I tend to spend too much time on detailing forums. ;)

I never did get around to trying Menzerna polishes but they are still the “cat’s meow” with many folks even though they also use other products (like the popular M205). IIRC, 85rd is more of a finishing polish. How effective it is on blemishes will depend on their severity and the hardness of the paint itself and how it is applied (it’s more effective with a rotary but you can still use it with a DA). 106ff is supposed to have more corrective ability but finishes out similarly to 85rd. ….both contain diminishing abrasives that break down as you work the product.

With polishes, I usually just use an IPA (isopropyl alcohol) solution to wipe down polished sections as I go (to make sure there are no blemishes being masked by carrier oils, etc. in the product). Some use prep solvent, etc. Top Inspection is supposed to do this for you as well although I have never tried it myself.
For the original OP, I agree with the Mothers rep response since the OP likely has the lower cost polisher since a PC/Meg/Flex do not include a bonnets, etc. .

I have used Menzerna PO85RD multiple times with a Flex and really like it. It does not correct much but sure improves gloss that can satisfy most people. I had talked with the Menz. rep on 106FA and he said it just has 2x the powder of PO85RD (so same results just quicker). I cannot say either finishes better. On my Dakota (soft repaint), PO85RD is perfect since the wind seems to cause marring.

I do use an IPA wipedown (less than 50:50) after polishing or use Griot's Pre-Wax Cleaner (a freebie from AG) to clean prior to the next step (glaze, wax)/

1 - 14 of 14 Posts