Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I usually take one cross country trip every year, usually in May, ( May is questionable this year ) and the front of my car gets almost black with bugs every day that we travel. Other than a clear bra, is there anything I can use that will minimize this ? I just put on a ceramic sealer yesterday hoping that will help keep the bugs from sticking as bad, but when a bug hits the car and you're going 80mph, they really splatter. I try to clean them off every night at the motel, but most things I know about for bug/tar removal smell like kerosene and I don't know what that does to the and/or paint or sealer. A wet motel towel gets most of them off, but a few of the splattered ones are really stubborn, and they take some harsh scrubbing. Any thoughts are appreciated.
I'll be driving my 2019 Challenger t/a, but the same thing happens regardless of the car model. We go from N.C. to the west coast and back, using a different route each time. Any suggestions welcome.
Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
The Pork Wagon (‘14 Cop Charger)
6,513 Posts
In the past I have used clear Plasti-Dip on the front fascia to give myself what amounts to a clear-ish bra, but that does require some work to tape everything off and then spray it a few times. It works well to protect against bugs and small rock chips, but anything like bug & tar remover will be too strong to use on it without removing it as well.

As far as bug and tar removers go, some are definitely better than others, but they will all strip any wax or sealant you have previously applied, so that’s a bummer, but you can always carry a spray wax/sealant with you go apply after every big & tar usage.

If you want a strong bug & tar, I recommend Surf City Garage’s version. It is friggin stout. There ain’t no bug guts that can withstand the onslaught brought to bear by SCG’s Road Grime Destroyer!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Other than PPF their is really nothing you can do. It’s the best bet for the type of driving you guys do and I would think worth the investment considering your road trip is a regular thing.

Bug and tar remover should be fully rinsed off, the residue can get nasty. PPF will eliminate that issue, then wash the car when you can.

I would also invest in an actual ceramic coating vs a hybrid.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wouldn't the Surf City Garage stuff hurt the paint ? ( I-40 through Texas is the worst ) No offense, just an observation....

·
Premium Member
6,513 Posts
Wouldn't the Surf City Garage stuff hurt the paint ? ( I-40 through Texas is the worst ) No offense, just an observation....
it’s not THAT powerful, but it is the most potent stuff for bug and tar removal I have ever used.

it might mess with a freshly painted car, but it is fine for factory painted clear coats that have been cured And such.

just make sure to rinse it off after use

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
What I found over a number of years of driving back and forth from the west coast to MO is best to hit a car wash before one puts the car away for the night and wash the bugs off.

With my white Mustang I knew every DIY car wash between the SF Bay Area and my destination in MO on every route.

In the morning after the car dried I'd use detail cleaner to touch up particularly stubborn areas of bug mess.

Also, I took to rather than trying to avoid rain to encounter rain. Nothing like a few minutes of "high speed" driving in rain to remove the bug mess from the nose of the car.

While at home, before heading out on a trip give the exposed surfaces, clean surfaces, a good wax.

Then when home give the car a good hand wash and maybe hitting the bad areas twice. Then dry and touch up with detail cleaner then follow with a good wax.

I avoided any harsh cleaners. Will remove the wax and could harm the clear coat. On the road just car wash soap spray to get the dirt wet and soften it up some followed by a good scrub with the brush -- which I'd rinse with wand spray before using -- followed by a good rinse then a no spot rinse. Be sure to after you leave the car wash to drive the car and use the brakes enough to get them hot to dry them out. You do not want to park the car overnight with wet brakes.

·
Registered
336 Posts
well, I like the idea Plasti-dip idea of 'Nuke'. I guess it comes off pretty easy.
WD-40 takes bugs and tar off easily with out harm to paint, in my usage. Its not to bad, wax it up good afterwards.

Now, I do this when we go somewhere and I know there is going to be bugs. I use painters tape. When I bought the Challenger up in New Jersey last year, I took 3M painters tape with me. We rolled out of the dealer ship, dropped the rental car off, I proceeded to tape the front of the Challenger in Enterprise's parking lot. The cleaning guys came out and talked to me,and helped me finish. They seemed to like the idea also. Beats getting plastered by bugs and stuff, driving back to Virginia, when you only own it a day ! Its perfect today.
Pealed the tape off, when I got home not a scratch or mar on the paint.
I have left the tape on a while sometimes, but I don't let it set in direct sun, with the tape on for days. Two weeks were fine. Sometime people think you have hit something and you are holding it together:giggle:
Tape is generally a dark blue. You can get it at lowes or home depot, Ace hardware paint store. NAPA has yellow painters tape but its ( yellow) maybe good for GS Brockman.
I have used tape on the Lexus, and when I had a QX56, and our Mini Countryman. I have a flat black grille I put on the Jeep, Its a easy swap on the JK.
Someone will come out with quick clear plastic peel & Stick, and peel, one of these days.
hope this helps
parrott

·
Premium Member
6,513 Posts
Here’s a thread I created back when I first tried the plasti-dip idea on my 2011 Challenger.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,779 Posts

A Guy

Reactions: Parrott_350

·
Registered
2015 SRT, 6 Speed, Sublime Green
1,504 Posts
All good suggestions. I have taken several long cross country road trips. I didn’t worry about bug carcasses and cleaned the car thoroughly when I returned home. I have seen this suggested though.....spray some cooking spray like PAM in the am and apparently the bug debris will hose off easily when you stop for the day. Repeat daily. I never tried it myself, but would not be averse to it.

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger SRT
526 Posts
I haven't tried Surf City Garage's product but I have a couple of buddies that swear by it. And living in Love Bug country, we get a lot of opportunities to try bug removal products.

My father-in-law had RainX's bug and tar removal product that I used to get a bunch of Love Bugs off of the front of his Ford Edge. Worked pretty good.

There have been some threads about using NoviStretch's front end cover. Most seemed to like it. I've used a Colgan full front end mask on a number of vehicles with very good success. I would NEVER recommend keeping a mask on a vehicle 24/7/365, but temporary use on a trip can save the front end. But they do look so "early '80s." :)

·
Registered
336 Posts
Don't spray Pam on a clear plastic bra, like 3M clear film, Pam will make it 'orange peel' make it all bump like. It will make that God it ruined my clear film on the front of my Lexus IS350. I had to take it off and put new clear film back on. Didn't hurt the paint, but ruined the plastic,
I personally cannot recommend the Pam,
best
parrott

·
Registered
2019 Sublime Shaker and 2010 Detonator Yellow R/T Classic
1,891 Posts
PPE is the easiest thing to do and offers the maximum protection. Every Challenger i buy gets this treatment and the front ends are still perfect with the most minimal care. $1500 well spent, it would cost me that plus more $$ to repaint it (if it even matches!) down the road anyway.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
In the past I have used clear Plasti-Dip on the front fascia to give myself what amounts to a clear-ish bra, but that does require some work to tape everything off and then spray it a few times. It works well to protect against bugs and small rock chips, but anything like bug & tar remover will be too strong to use on it without removing it as well.

As far as bug and tar removers go, some are definitely better than others, but they will all strip any wax or sealant you have previously applied, so that’s a bummer, but you can always carry a spray wax/sealant with you go apply after every big & tar usage.

If you want a strong bug & tar, I recommend Surf City Garage’s version. It is friggin stout. There ain’t no bug guts that can withstand the onslaught brought to bear by SCG’s Road Grime Destroyer!
Yes that stuff is like spraying caustic syrup, it works great though

·
Premium Member
6,513 Posts
Yes that stuff is like spraying caustic syrup, it works great though
I used to cook fish sticks in my toaster oven until I saw what several cookings’ worth of fish stick drippings would harden into in the drip pan if left too long. I tried everything I could think of to clean that stuff out of the pan, but nothing even made a dent, and I ain’t being hyperbolic either.

Then, in an alcohol induced vision of brilliance, I wondered what that Road Grime Destroyer would do to it. That stuff made short work of the fish stick oil deposits, and I mean short work.

Bug guts? SCG Road Grime Destroyer eats bug guts for breakfast and asks for seconds!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts