Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Bugs and Vaseline

5K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  SKT PK 9 Man 
#1 ·
Back in my drag racing days I'd put a thin coat of Vaseline on the rear quarter panel behind the slicks to make removing the rubber easier. Next week I'm off on a road trip on which I'll encounter lots of bugs. Wondering if any of you have done the same on the front of your cars.

#3 ·
The thought of having to not only apply, but ultimately clean, Vaseline on the whole front clip of my car is very unappealing to me personally.

If I were going to take extra measures to protect the front of the car from paint etching due to bug guts, I would make myself another front fascia bra using clear Plastidip like I used to when I had my Challengers.

#4 ·
Buy a roll of 3m vivid ppf for $20 on amazon and apply to the front bumper. You are now protected from bugs and rocks on the biggest, flattest piece of the front of the car. Add a good coating of paint sealant to the entire front and hood too. This will make removing bugs much easier from all areas.

Enjoy your trip!

#6 ·
Vasoline/Pam are very bad ideas because they catch and hold dirt particulates (sand paper). While it won't help this trip, I can tell you a quality Ceramic coating is well worth the money in this regard.
I had 5 year Ceramic done on my Scat when it was new. Baked on bugs come off like magic even after weeks in Summer heat. I cannot recommend it highly enough. It is truly amazing!

Reactions: Loopy and KrzyFast
#7 ·
^^^Agree.

Since you are leaving next week you could get Turtlewax hybrid spray ceramic. Put 2 coats on per instructions. Quick and easy. Check out some youtube vids...pan the organizer comes to mind.
I would at least clay the front before putting anything on it so you are protecting a slick surface. That way bug guts have less to cling to.

#9 ·
#10 ·
Clear Plasti Dip?

A Guy
Doesn’t have to be clear, I guess, as long as body color is sufficiently close to one of the colored versions of Plastidip available, but I always used the clear kind when I did it.

#11 ·
When I started taking long road trips in earnest I had a new white Mustang GT. After a long day of driving the bumper cover, A pillars, windshield, roof line, any surface that faced forward had bugs galore.

I became quite familiar with DIY car washes in every town I stopped in for the night. It was best to get the stuff removed before it had a chance to really dry. Actually since most of my miles were driven across the southwest the stuff would bake on in the sun/heat.

Also, I found the occasional rain storm worked a minor miracle cleaning the bugs off the car. The impact of the rain drops had the bug remains gone in nearly no time.

As others have mentioned it really helps to start out with the car clean and the nose (at least) well waxed.

#12 ·
For a quick short-term solution, I have used the roll film from Home Depot or similar place that is used to cover your household carpet when you're showing it for sale, etc.

Before heading to a car show, I'd roll some out across the facia and stick it down. I'd lay it right across the front of the hood over the gap between the fenders and facia. You can do a reasonably good job with a little practice. Trim out any air intake openings, and you're all set.

I'd also wrap a square on the back side of each wheel opening and fender/quarter. Once there, just pick up a corner, peel it off, and toss it in the trash. Works like a champ. Just clean the windshield and you're in business.

Obviously not something you'd want to drive around with long-term, but for a quick transit from garage to show, it's pretty slick. You can either re-apply before heading home, or just clean the car well after you get back. I always did mine at the show before leaving because I liked to see peoples reaction to my wallpapering the front of my Super Coupe!

Cheers!

JD

#15 ·
I thought it was wash it, drive it, wash it?

A Guy

#18 ·
Thread needed what now? :oops:

A Guy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.